Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Temporary PVP Flagging

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Abydos, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I love the idea.
    It has great potential and brings much thrill in the game.

In my view, to prevent abuse, players with ''Temporary PVP Flagging'' should have to go to the oracle to regain its protection again.

Thank you for reading.

-Abydos

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think that is a perfect way to handle this. No safety just by fleeing the scene, but effectively an on-demand way to flag yourself.

The only piece that still hurts is the "free shot" you get when you attack this way. Perhaps whatever the first attack is that flags you should automatic do minimum (or much reduced) damage, to prevent stacking glyphs and one-hit killing your (unaware) target.

3. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Isn't the thrill of being surprise attacked anytime, anywhere by anyone, one of the compelling points that the ganking crowd try to sell to everyone else?

You're flagged? You're a target! "Unaware" doesn't apply.

It's time they start seriously experimenting their own medicine. This may be a good start.

royalsexy, Womby, Gurney2 and 3 others like this.
  4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Able to be surprised is one thing; this is effectively a way to attack without the other player being able to do anything about it. Unflagged players being able to one-hit kill flagged players is like a merchant in Ardoris just randomly deciding to slaughter you while you are making purchases. The player has no opportunity to prepare, even if they think they may get jumped, because the attack is not announced until the attack has already succeeded. It is detrimental behavior. And this isn't about the ganking crowd, but about actual PVP balance.

So either the first attack can't kill the player, or every attack and glyph needs to be announced. This is possibly where words of power, casting or stacking animations, or just making combat mode more apparent.

Abydos likes this.
  5. Katrina Bekers

I'm sorry, I fail to see the problem.

If you flag yourself for PVP, you're implicitly accepting being jumped on by anyone, anywhere, even insta-killed by non-flagged people.

Just consider yourself surrounded by PVP-flagged people. What would be the difference between that and being in a Shardfall? That you're not prepared (cit. Illydan)? Tough beans: you're the PVPer - by your own flagging - be ready to be slaughtered at every corner of the game, like you'd like to do with others.

Womby, Net, Gurney2 and 3 others like this.
  6. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Someone had a good point in the other thread--that it has the potential to generate more PvP and create more interesting scenarios. Most seem to agree though that leaving the scene to unflag isn't fair at all. A timer would solve this problem. It would somehow have to pause on the map and resume in a scene though, otherwise it would be pointless.

Numa, Heradite and Abydos like this.
  7. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Out of curiosity, is it possible to mistakenly hit someone with pvp enabled?

Like you'd be a pve player questing or randomly killing a bunch of mobs somewhere and some fellow flagged for pvp comes up and you mistake him for a mob or something ( it might happen:confused:!) and attack him. Are you know flagged or is there a pop up on your (pve side) that tells you, you're about to hit a player and not a mob?

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

No you get a prompt before being able to switch...
    (At least according to the release notes...)

Womby and 4EverLost like this.
  9. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Would make for some some good trolling then I guess.:p

10. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

You just don't get it man.... So lost. I honestly don't know how to help you understand. At this point, you must be choosing to not get it...

vallo and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  11. Katrina Bekers

No, I don't get it, "man", and I don't want that you waste your precious time trying to help me understand, "man".

Just can't wait to try an ouverture of silemov+nightstep+sap+backstab on poor, unsuspecting flagged player. Who knows if avatars can choke on their own blood while instakilled by unflagged players?

So juicy, "man", sooo juicy.

Sir Cabirus and Gurney2 like this.
  12. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

I don't want that you waist either, man.

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Awww, dang, now I am picturing @Katrina Bekers' waist. This thread just got real.

I am on the fence with temporary PvP flagging. Pros and Cons to both sides. It does fit with the idea that PvP is out in the open. The temptations to flag tie into the moral system. People flagged will not be able to preemptively strike someone they suspect will attack.

But that's explained by asking the Oracle to remove the protections and flag open PvP.

If the Oracle judges temporary flagging poorly the moral system has it's villain path.

Numa and Katrina Bekers like this.
  14. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Oh. I didn't know a PVP-flagged player told you they were going to attack you. How nice of them, not doing all those things you said and just y'know announcing they are going to attack you. Do they do this in chat?

'Cause otherwise there's no real difference. I mean do you really care if it was an unflagged or a flagged player who one-hit killed you? No, you care that you got one-hit killed.

Womby and Katrina Bekers like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

16. smack

smack Avatar

If anything, this just made PvP even more thrilling, as quite literally anyone, not just visibly flagged PvP players in their nameplates, can now attack you.

So I would tend to agree it's fair game, but the current implementation to remove the temporary flag (scene exit) is problematic and unbalanced. The full stack free attack is basically the reward, but the risk is far too easy.

Not sure if having to just run to the Oracle is the solution (especially if there's no quest to receive/remove Blessing as has been suggested before). Maybe a cool down timer of an hour (day/night cycle)? Or whichever event comes first? And if you attack again (PvP player), the timer resets.

17. Katrina Bekers

Yo! 'Cause, ya know, da "man" cannot handle this waist, I tell ya!

*Slaps her buttcheek defiantly*

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

O.O time to request a new emote!

Will be interesting how the moral system alters all this. The Oracle is judgmental, might get turned away.

19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Is there an unintended consequence though? Wouldn't a ton of PVP players camp the Oracle waiting on temporary flagged players to come back wanting to change? It would be chaos in Ardoris :)

Numa, Womby, smack and 2 others like this.
  20. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

:D

Maybe Guards can remove fingers from the nose and finally do some thing?

Andaluz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.