The focus around so much new store content

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doomballs, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Putzaroo

Putzaroo Avatar

1999 dollars are far removed from 2016 dollars...

Snazz, Solazur and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  2. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

It directly keeps the lights on. Everything, including our blood (also literally), goes into making this game possible. We would just assume do away with an addon store entirely and make everything free, but we just can't do that.

Kara Brae, Tahru, lollie and 16 others like this.
  3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Scratches head, while wondering what Planet your from... This game has come a long way since the "chicken room", and the World is filling in nicely around it... I doubt you've been here from the start, as I wonder "why" you waited so long to post your concern...

Hazard and NRaas like this.
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I suspect the outhouses will be related to agriculture system soon? [pretty please?]

lollie and Dwalin Bombardin like this.
  5. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

I'm starting to see how this game is coming together, and I appreciate it more and more. Like previous Lord British titles, it's more about a vision of a world and building game mechanics which can simulate that world in a close and honest way.

Every aspect of the game is built with great attention to detail - the story, the combat and magic, the crafting, the housing and so on. Everything has to work towards the logic and the vision of that world, not matter how small a detail. Since all these aspects are being built at the same time, progrssion will have to be be slow. But it's getting there!

And keep the fluff items coming to support the work, I'm sure it doesn't take that much time to make compared to all the rest. :)

6. bloodluv

bloodluv Avatar

Pikegirl, Kaisa, Sir_Hemlock and 2 others like this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

This game has been in development for 3 years. Thats NOTHING compared to normal games that take far longer.

I dont even hear about a lot of big games being made until 2 years in.

Destiny took 7+ years to make at a price of $500 million and I beat it in like 10 hours play time.

Again, this goes back to how I think this crowd funded model is a failure. It allows to many people in who do not know game development.

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I disagree. I loved DAOC but it you were an Albion and got stuck trying to farm tree's until lvl 50, the blaring issues with DAOC really came out. Besides the fact you are not putting up a fair comparison. It would be fair for you to compare DAOC on its first day of release with the first day of SOTA on its first day of release (6 months from now?). SOTA has a FAR greater set of complexities then DAOC.

MrBlight, Numa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Yeah, a better argument is hardware systems are far more complex and require coding that is significantly different than 1999 coding. Money amounts haven't changed that significantly (its was less than 2 decades ago). But coding to keep up with the diversity in hardware, OS, and player expectations is vastly different now and that is one of the major things that causes unexpected delays.

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

BINGO!

11. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Im really saddened by this thread

I left Landmark cos it is basically shot to bits, so, Ive found myself here..

since I joined just over a month ago, Ive seen R34 + patches, R35, excited to see what R36 brings in a couple of weeks, cos it is that soon, are there pay items you want, sure.. but this is not being run by a mega corp, while its not quite 3 guys in a garage, its being done by a small team funded purely by our payments for things we want.

There is a lot of code and work that goes into these releases, and the patches in between. While yes, it can be frustrating that most of the cool items are pay real $ for items, but, thats not a bad thing when unlike so many other games they arent getting royalties or other incomes, all they get are our payments.. so, lets ask how many people would want to work for their 1999 salary but have to pay 2016 prices for everything? Would you rather there was a monthly subscription fee?

Id pay more, cos part of me wants more of the secret nice goodies, but, I cant afford more.. I really cant.. (I got about 6k bill coming in in the next just over a month and much as in a way, Id probably get more enjoyment from giving 6k to Port, I actually need the teeth as I lost 2 due to dental error and no I cant sue him apparently)

12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I think the concern that many of us share is that the game we backed during the Kickstarter campaign and early development is very different from that which we are playing today. I never back MMOs, but here I am with around $100 sank into one. I also never back games where the average player's role is to serve as pawns for better heeled player, yet here I am walking through towns full of things I will never get to own.

Snikorts, Bubonic and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  13. Putzaroo

Putzaroo Avatar

And my point was developing things is much more expensive..
    This is what I was getting at.. It costs much more these days to do anything than it did in 1999. Cost of living is higher, wages are higher, therefore 2.5 million dollars is still nowhere in comparison to the buying power it once was.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome to SOTA Doomballs!

15. Doomballs

Doomballs Avatar

welcome? lol I've been here much, much longer than most of you...

16. Numa

Numa Avatar

Not really no - not with a 4 message count.

Hornpipe likes this.
  17. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

January 26, 2014?

aww u jus a wittle baby

edit: jk :D

Moiseyev Trueden and Hornpipe like this.
  18. Doomballs

Doomballs Avatar

I don't live on the forum, like you do. And when I do post its not some brainless word barf. So yes really yes I am probably older than you in every sense of the word...

19. bloodluv

bloodluv Avatar

Well i'm not sure how you define "far removed"
    i wouldn't define that as "far removed"

Also i'm not sure how you define "much more"
    Cost of Living Calculator
    COMPARE YEARS COMPARE VALUES
    RESULTS
    1999 $100
    2016 $ 143.98

https://www.aier.org/cost-living-calculator

i wouldn't define this as "much more"

Xandra7 likes this.
  20. ridicOne

ridicOne Avatar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_(video_game)#Development

Development for Destiny began at Bungie in 2010 under the code name "Paper Tiger", shortly after the release of Halo: Reach.[36][37] This coincided with the announcement of a 10-year publishing agreement with Activision Blizzard.[38][39] Under Bungie's agreement with Activision, new intellectual property developed by Bungie will be owned by Bungie, not Activision, in a deal similar to the EA Partners Program.[39][40] Details of this contract were revealed during the course of Activision's lawsuit against Jason West and Vincent Zampella, founders and former employees of Infinity Ward, including provisions for four Destiny games over the course of the ten-year deal.[41][42][43] Initially, Activision Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick suggested that the total investment in Destiny would be around $500 million. Bungie's COO Pete Parsons clarified that the game's development cost is not even close to $500 million, saying, "For marketing you'd have to ask Activision people, but for development costs, not anything close to $500 million."[44] Activision subsequently confirmed the $500 million figure, stating that marketing, up-front infrastructure costs, and investment in the game's engine were included, and could be amortized over the life of the IP.[45] Bungie would earn an additional $2.5 million bonus payout if the first game achieved a Metacritic score of 90 or above

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.