Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The Grind

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

going by that page you linked, thsi game heavily panders to both explorers and socializers as well.
    Even more so than "achievers".

Logain and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

"Killers get their kicks from imposing themselves on others. This may be "nice", ie. busybody do-gooding, but few people practice such an approach because the rewards (a warm, cosy inner glow, apparently) aren't very substantial. Much more commonly, people attack other players with a view to killing off their personae (hence the name for this style of play). The more massive the distress caused, the greater the killer's joy at having caused it."

And by that page's definition of Killers, alot of us dont want to have to deal with those types, by the very nature of that "playstyle". But there are plenty who do like it, and soem who liek the danger of it sometimes, so it does exist in the game. And there are those activly endulging in it. But since these people, by thier nature, desire to be better than everyone else, the "grind" emerges, where you THINK you have to keep up with these people, because its the only aspect of this multi-faceted game that you enjoy.

all PvPer's being equal power from day 1 is unbalancing.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Logain likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, but let's be careful how we're saying this.

The COMBAT SYSTEM heavily favors achievers. The CURRENT GAME (release 24) favors achievers, explorers, and socializers. Though I would argue that the emphasis was still on achievement and that the overall game design is questionable (or at least incomplete) towards the explorer and social playstyles.

Both the combat system and the current game and the game design are almost devoid of Killer focused mechanics.

4. Drocis the Devious

And you don't have to, PVP is 100% consensual.

5. Drocis the Devious

That page also goes on to say...

And this should be our goal as a community, a world where you can dabble in all these areas and be successful.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I would say it favors socializers and explorers as well. There are things you need to have a group to defeat (a coordinated group) and there are plenty of exploraable elements in dangerous areas

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Alot of PvPers dont want to have to deal with that playstyle, too.

8. Drocis the Devious

Well an achiever can be a socializer too. You can have mixed player bases. But if we're talking about a PURE socializer, they're just happy to sit around and talk in a chat room. That's why I framed it how I did. I was saying that if you looked at the game from a purest point of view in any of the playstyles, the achiever is getting a mecca, explorers and socializers (right now) are getting about half a game (at this point in development), and killers are getting the shaft.

9. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Do you suffer from chronic fatigue? you need to use new gear and not just your founders set - all these higher level players have spent extream amounts of time crafting new equipment and not just adventuring, then follow some of the progression help videos that players have made, then perhaps it wont take as long for you to level up or you could make your own progression help video showing how you can progress through RP questing.

10. Drocis the Devious

I've crafted the highest level gear for myself in past releases.

11. Drocis the Devious

And they don't have to, PVP is 100% consensual. But you're touching on a VERY GOOD point. An excellent point!

Here's the answer to your statement...
    Not all people that like PVP are the same. We often have different goals in mind when we fight, and that's ok. The point of the OP is to say, "HEY I can't reach my goals like this. This isn't fun. In fact it's painfully boring to the point I don't want to play the game like this." I'd like a "grind" consensual game.

Some players hate pvp and would never want to play the game if they were forced to pvp. I hate grinding, I don't want to be forced to grind. Same thing.

12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

we got that in game now. I've been enjoying all 3 of those aspects.
    There are PK's that show up regularly too, there's even a couple of guilds of PK's. They like to find people and try to kill them all.

Killers, as that page was describing them, sound more like griefers that wanna make other folks mad allt he time whenever possible

13. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

I don't understand why your finding it so difficult to get to adventure level 50+. I would recommend watching some help videos or asking some in-game players for help to level.

EMPstrike likes this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

you need to try to come up with a PvP-related progression idea, rather than trying to tear down the existing progression.

15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It helps to play with other people. Alot.

Peabo likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

You have very little of that here actually. And during R23 after the wipe I only noticed a few of those guys in the game at all. Usually they'd be hitting a gust ball scripting their way to some skill level so they could be more competitive but occasionally I'd see them just grinding it out somewhere alone being bored out of their minds.

That's certainly a subset of the playstyle, but as the page states, we have to...
    Meaning that we design this game to be less about grief (100% pvp consensual) and more about quick thinking and clear ways to overcome adversaries.

17. Drocis the Devious

If you read the OP, I say that I'm not against progression, I just want it to be at a reasonable pace for pvp.

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Then i look forward to hearing some ideas

19. Drocis the Devious

Me too, I wonder what the devs will come up with?

20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

those are the "pvp" and "achiever" doing that mostly.
    I've found lots of cool, gratifyign stuff by exploring, and i spent an entire release hanging out with people playign music with the purly social ABC system

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.