Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The Grind

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kal2

Kal2 Avatar

My personal interpretation of this is that a game that allows a low level player to be on an even footing with a high level player regarding PVP will allow more killers into the game. Killers, by definition, try to negatively impact other peoples gameplay.

While having some killers in the game enchances the game, as it adds certain elements, balancing it too far will negatively impact alot of people and most likely the game overall. An even field with regards to PVP would be detrimental to the game. The current system allows for killers, but makes it a more difficult path - most likely to the overall benefit of the game.

Numa and Themo Lock like this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It helps if we come up with ideas too.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I have some in this thread, sorry you don't like those.

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

the 100% consensual PvP limits your PvP targets to people who are striving to be as strong as possible, as quick as possible, because the bulk of the targets are gonna be strong people who want to PvP.

So the 100% consensual thing diminishes less-progressed player targets. But the 100% consensual is neccessary.

The craftign systems is also unfinished, and will haev a huge impact on potential PvP targets/loot. so waiting for further crafting implimentation may find that its no logner difficult to find people to kill.

Numa likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

I agree with you for the most part, but I think you're leaving out a very important component. PVP is 100% consensual. So in the current environment, if you make PVP dependent on levels, your "majority" of killers are unlikely to enjoy the grinding part of the game that restricts them from being a killer. This means that the available population of players that you can PVP with (as we are seeing right now) are achievers that you can't kill because they're so high level.

I'm saying this is not good.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It's ok.

7. Drocis the Devious

I'm totally 100% for consensual pvp. I'm not suggesting that's a problem here, just a reality.

So precisely as you've said above, it diminishes the population to super strong targets. The problem I have is that those targets are people I have no chance of beating because the fight is never fair.

The fight might be "more" fair in 6 months, but that seems like a long time for me to not have any fun.

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

singling them out and gankign them with a friend still brings them down pretty fast if you know what your doing.

Logain and Peabo like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

If you're both level 50, sure ok.

There's also crimes of opportunity that might give you and your friends some win, sure.

But again, that's not fun. That's going above and beyond just so you can compete in a low population unbalanced game of pvp. Killers should have more than that to look forward to in this game.

10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This line is what i have been getting out of this thread.
    The developers, if i rememebr right, did say they wanted a way for people to advance from the act of PvPing, but its incredibly difficult to balance soemthing like that.
    The original thoguth was gaining experience from player kills, but theat is extremely exploitable.
    The idea of diminishign XP gains has been brought up, but the fact is Players are mroe advanced than any AI, and gining experience directly from killign them is always exploitable

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

and your adventure level has no bearing on PvP combat. It used to determine how much you hit or miss your target with attacks but no longer does so.
    Your skill level is what determines those things now, and getting skilsl to 30-40 is not difficult or slow.

12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I would suspect any progression PvP may offer to be slower than grinding bears or whatever, so even if PvP did offer progression outside of vast riches, there woudl still be peopel ahead of you because they are willing to grind.

The question is, if you could advance by PvPing, would you WANT to?

13. Drocis the Devious

Look, I know that adventure level doesn't impact the hit calculation for PVP anymore. But the higher level you are the more skill points you can train. So when I say higher level matters in PVP I'm really taking a lazy way of explaining a more complex idea...that someone at level 85 presumably has far more skills trained resulting in far more HP, FOCUS, and DAMAGE OUTPUT than someone that is say level 30.

Also, getting skills to to 30 or 40 is relatively easy if you're comparing it to getting skills from 40 to 80, yes. But that's neither here nor there because someone that is level 85 presumably has skills level 80 to 100 in many important things, etc etc...

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

you could always get someoen who enjoys grinding to let you hang ou with them while they grind. There are alot o folks tha do that as well. and you can smack a gustball while you do other stuff you gotta do too at the moment. Later those may become trainign dummies or soemthing i hope bu, for now theres gustballs.

15. Drocis the Devious

I totally agree with you and that's why I haven't brought this up as a possible solution. We'd still be in the same boat. Time = Success.

There's also the impact to the community, we're very segregated right now as it is (see my post about organic interaction for reference) and so the idea that we would chop up the community into people skilled in pvp and people that aren't skilled in pvp is probably only going to hurt the pvp population. Would I like that better than the way it is now? I don't know it almost feels like it would be worse because then you'd have people that might pvp occasionally never even try it because it has nothing to do with the main storyline. It would also give me two things to grind on...I like to RP and I like the story so whatever I need to do to finish that would be something I'd like to do if possible. Maybe that would mean I was level 100 in pvp and only level 40 in pve, I don't know.

16. Drocis the Devious

If the system stays the way it is now, I probably would try that at launch to see if it helped. But I don't think it would. In the brief time I've gone out in groups to grind I've been even more bored than when I was alone. I'm not very social when it comes to idle chit chat.

17. Kal2

Kal2 Avatar

While PVP is consentual, the actual engagement of 1v1 is not. To have a lvl 100 player ganked by 2 or 3 12 year old kids that ere only lvl 20 playing on their school holiday would not be fun for the regular gamer that has put hundreds of hours into the game.

Peabo likes this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

you're gonna have decent skills by the time you finish the story im pretty sure. That's usually the case.
    But the storyline isnt in the game yet, but there are a TON of NPCs to talk to that pay youa nd give u experience for handling whatever they need handled. They may give enough that you can get enough exp to get a set of skilsl to 30 or 40 before u even have to grind anything

19. Drocis the Devious

I know that. But we have 2 or 3 12 year olds that might play the game longer if they didn't all immediately get pummeled by level 100 guy in an otherwise empty pvp area. I'm not saying your scenario would be a good game either, it wouldn't. But having level 100 guy standing around being king of the mountain because he plays a lot, is equally bad. That's what I'm saying. We need to find a balance.

20. Drocis the Devious

I did a few quests in R24 using a 4x xp modifier and I found the xp given for those quests to equal about 1 hour of grinding time. It really was almost immaterial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.