The Making of a Great Sword!

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by uosylence, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

@uosylence
    Sadly, you've just detailed the frustration that many of us have been detailing for over a year now; an experienced crafter who has invested hundreds of hours developing skills and thousands of hours acquiring resources can not with any reliably make anything good. Certainly not for what the materials cost. If you work out with your percentages how many materials you'd need, a 'good' weapon or armor piece would value in the hundreds of thousands - which nobody will pay. Why? Cause everything you make is disposable. I might be able to market a perfect weapon somewhere near to cost price if the buyer knew that was it, sword was done for the time being, it was theirs to keep and use. Sadly, misguided/shortsighted crafters argued against infinite coto repairability and now high end merchandise is worthless.

The actual percentage chances to get the specific bonuses you are after are actually far, far worse - for a simple reason:
    Too many options in the pool - spear masterwork has OVER TWENTY CHOICES.
    So you get 3/20 then 3/19 then 3/18 possibilities ...forgetting that things are going to break entirely, you still only have a .15*.16*.17 chance of getting what you want. That's 0.3% chance. Of course, if you also wanted to get 3 good enchants on it, lets say with a gem, there's 13-14 choices on that as well, so you end up with something like 1 weapon in a thousand.

Its absolutely demoralizing.

Personally I think the random system is, well, stupid. If I'm an accomplished artisan I should have control over what I make, and if I'm a grandmaster (or in my case, enough XP to grandmaster 7 times over!) I should not be failing your basic first enchant 5% of the time. I probably shouldn't be failing the second. I certainly should have more control over what bonuses are applied. The easiest way would be to expand the number of choices to say, 4 at level 80 and 5 at gm, perhaps 6 at lvl 120 ...but even this wouldn't bring crafting where it needs to be (in my opinion.) The random system does nothing and serves no one, it just wastes materials - in a game where you already need an exorbitant amount of materials and processing time to make anything. We've been giving this feedback since before persistence.

A grandmaster should make exceptional items more often than not. I'd say at least 90% of the time.
    A grandmaster should not be able to screw up basic, 1st-go enchants/masterworks and shouldn't screw up the 2nd ones very often.
    A grandmaster should be able to reasonably influence the output of an item, instead of spending 50k (or 500k, or millions) on materials to end up with nothing usable.
    I have no objection to keeping a BIT of RNG, but as it stands now anyone who wants to craft anything has to make 30-40 of the thing and burn through several hundred gold/silver ingots for even a 'chance'.
    And what do you do with all the crap? Shove it on a vendor, hope it sells, where it will sit languishing for months because no one else wants it, either. I put this stuff in a FREE box, +9-10 'random' stuff and it sat there for months.
    Definitely need to change something, somewhere.

Wilfred, Malimn, uosylence and 5 others like this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

grind game in all aspects

uosylence likes this.
  3. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

Last I knew the same system was being kept but we'll be given the option to spend some scary amount of xp to keep said item. One of 2 parts needs to change for sure. The random options of enchants and masterworks or the seemingly unreasonable breakage. I'd rather use 5x the mats on a item and have it not break personally. I'm 107 all the way down in tailoring and in enchanting. The reward part is lacking. Taking xp to keep a item that you have no actual set choice of stats on sounds disfunctional still.

4. Curt

Curt Avatar

So you say is around 20 masterwork options could that list be limited?

• We could have so 5 of the options only was available during night and 5 only during day, 5 only when its raining and 5 only when its not raining.
    • We could have optional materials that excludes certain options.

Alley Oop likes this.
  5. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Just curious, why is a 3/3 sword the standard of greatness? That seems fairly arbitrary. Why not 4/4?

Even just making a 3/2 sword increases your success rate by a huge margin. And really what's the difference between a 3/2 and 3/3. Hell I would take the extra durability over an extra strength or dex enchant most of the time anyways, nobody wants a 35 durability weapon.

Gear already lasts way too long. If they increase the rate at which gear comes into the market then they need to dramatically reduce how long it lasts to balance that out.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. uosylence

uosylence Avatar

Yes 3/3 is somewhat arbitrary but 4/4 would be impossible for me. 2/2 is bad enough with all the broken items. The math on a 3/2 gives me less than 4% satisfactory results.

My main point is that although the game calls 100 skill level Grand Master, I sure don't feel like I have much control over the outcome of crafting process like a real Grand Master would.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  7. uosylence

uosylence Avatar

Yes it would because breaking stuff is really depressing

Spoon likes this.
  8. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I definitely agree the terminology they chose leads to player frustration.

Sylence likes this.
  9. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Welcome to what I have been complaining about for the past year and only to have @Chris and @DarkStarr state in telethons that "Gear is not the end all factor", "Crafting is where we want it otherwise the world would be filled with great gear", "Amount of materials needed is correct for what your making", etc... I have given up now trying to open their eyes to the pain of being a crafter in game.

10. Robby

Robby Avatar

So its super difficult and rare for a player to produce a really really powerful great sword... you might see it rarely on a vendor of a crafter who happened to grind away hours and hours to produce the mighty blade... and this blade will eventually break if used. I LOVE this idea!! I think its perfect! No offense... how else is a craftable sword supposed to be "priceless". I think the devs have created the perfect crafting system. So... my advice to you all who find this depressing.. i think you might have more fun if you do a sort of crafting "team effort". Were you all pitch in mining and crafting till one of you finally pops out a super powered enchanted blade. You can designate one toon to mine, and another to craft. Have a guild effort to make the stuff. Its totally not profitable but again thats what makes the item so priceles when you do happen to produce it. Depending on the context the item could prove more valuble than you thought. What if in the next episode theres some big daemon raiding a town and only way to defeat is with your guild's priceless blade. Then when slaying this daemone that lets say is only scheduled to appear once at the beginning episode sort of as an opening battle(making the slaying of the daemon as pricless or morw priceless than the blade itself) to the next episode. If you slay this daemon and no one else could... you will be the big hero in sota history! Kind of like Rainz... the historical anti hero of UO that slayed LB. :eek:

11. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.