1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The Making of Elysium Mines

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Sea-Wolf, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

@Sea-Wolf
    On the game settings i have on the preset "Fastest".
    Strangely though, its only like this when I first zone in. If I go into the options and change it from Fastest to something else it fixes it. Even more strange is that once I've done that I can go set it back to fastest again and the fix stays.
    Also had the wife try on her pc who has a much better system than I do AND runs different quality settings and she gets the same ghost effect.

Sea-Wolf likes this.
  2. Sea-Wolf

Sea-Wolf Avatar

I was able to repro the problem. Seems to be a shader issue. Thanks Scoffer!

Rentier and Black Tortoise like this.
  3. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

@Sea-Wolf It Looks amazing and I can't wait to try it tonight. I am sad to see gold removed but copper is a fair replacement.
    don't forget the Easter eggs. ;)

Sea-Wolf likes this.
  4. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Initial feedback:
    Please note that I only spent about an hour on there so take this with a pinch of salt...

The ore clusters are a great idea for such a vast zone. It means that while there maybe a 2 minute run from cluster to cluster at least when you get there you are getting to mine 4-5 nodes each time rather than just 1. Even though the ores are spread across the zone the cluster make up for it.

I ran around for 20 minutes after learning some of the layout and managed 50 silver and 25 ish copper so over an hour so the 260-290 ish ores an hour seems about right once the best routes have been figured out.

The diamonds on the hill side near the top of the zone seem to have a LOT of light around them, at first I thought it was part of the mirror puzzle since it looked like a giant spotlight as highlighting them.

Remus is a pain the ass as a melee sword user. The death shield, his high avoidance and dodge means the first time it took me almost 20 minutes of auto attacking to actually kill him since I quickly ran out of focus even though he only has 650 health. Ended up having to switch it around and pile dots on him (rend doesn't work on ghosts...) so only had 2 combos that would work, the rest of the time I was waiting the full minute for death shield to wear off before spam hitting my attack buttons and trying to do as much damage in the 3 seconds it takes him to recast it. Maybe increase his health but reduce his dodge/resist/avoid?

The 3 chests in the Remus room also respawn. The encounter from what I can see is on a 5 minute counter and by the time I had killed them all the second time around the chests could be looted. May have to watch this for people camping that room for the loot

5. Sea-Wolf

Sea-Wolf Avatar

I recently moved the white crystals down to the lower level because their lights have a very short cull distance that I don't want to mess with. I could also see how it might cause confusion with the mirror puzzle, and having them down low makes it better for miners. Moving them to the lower area just makes more sense. Should see the changes on next QA build. Thanks for the feedback!

Rentier likes this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

As suggested I did jump into QA which I usually do a little of each release anyways. So I am thinking players will like what was done here from what I saw. I didn't look at the whole mine since I like to explore new areas with a friend but from what I saw I'd say you did a great job with the ore. Spawning is reasonable and mining areas are very well thought out and the whole area well the parts I saw are really awesome looking. There is copper and silver which is very nice.

edit I just set my shadow distance to low verses none and I could see in that mine where before that I had the white foggy situation going on as advised.

Sea-Wolf likes this.
  7. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

As someone fascinated with classical antiquity, I cant wait to spend a lot of time in this scene.

8. oplek

oplek Avatar

hmm... is there a way to reset the white shade issue? It still seems to be a thing in 601. Ive tried exitng/re-entering, exiting to menu, and re-logging in while in the mine. I remember this was an issue in Artifice, and talking to an NPC would fix it (the archers don't want to talk to me).

9. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

Anyone else seeing this?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My settings pic.

10. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

Problem solved. Turn on some shadows. Thanks @Lexie

11. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Looks great and i like the updates, apart from no gold....

From these pictures and the settings all a mess at moment i presume this will take another few months, maybe 6, to complete to your satisfaction.

12. oplek

oplek Avatar

Worked for me too, thanks!

Obsidian Tempest likes this.
  13. oplek

oplek Avatar

It's hard to get a feel for mining rate, but I definitely appreciate the approach of having clusters of nodes.

The part, however, that made me groan, was the ghosts. In terms of being annoying to fight, they're second only water elementals. I don't think that'll be well met. At one point I was up against an archer, a ghost, and a crossbow-turret.

The earth elementals were a bit of a grind to worth through, but at least they weren't difficult to hit, didn't cast, and didn't heal themselves. Though this is more my complaint with ghosts in general.

14. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

Very nicely done. It is still a silver mine!

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

see comments

16. amarious

amarious Avatar

Played around in there for a little less than an hour, great job! Very pleasantly surprised!

Polaris Penguin and K1000 like this.
  17. Polaris Penguin

Polaris Penguin Avatar

Ran around a little bit, cannot wait for R49 to explore more carefully :).

18. Lace

Lace Avatar

@Sea-Wolf
    I was so concerned about this zone, but spent some time there and see no mining issues other than I miss my gold. Of course now I have to walk uphill in the snow 3 miles with no shoes in a blizzard to go to another mine not so close to my house. HAH!

Hornpipe and Obsidian Tempest like this.
  19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

You really should put off the one ring. It might attract the Nazgul.

Hornpipe and Obsidian Tempest like this.
  20. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

touché! Now that, was a good one. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.