Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The most important feedback you'll ever read. Please read/answer.

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by tomsback, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Well they won't be using an algorithm to determine who you meet in game. They will use some kind of heuristic to do that. lol So I guess that means that there is some variation in who you meet that is " subject to chance". A heuristic tells you how to look, not what to find. So there is a difference.

So really it might feel just like your experience in UO. You didn't know who you were looking for, but you sometimes randomly found people. A heuristic that draws in "relevant" people might even be better than walking around aimlessly. The heuristic will actually draw in people that are relevant to you. Therefore, your odds of finding somebody worth talking to will be much greater!!!

I vote Selective Multiplayer. I think that is the way to go. Like Chris said, "I don't know why nobody tried this before."

EDIT: For all we know, selective multiplayer might be the best thing ever. So don't count it out. To me it sounds like the best way to meet people. This might be one of their best features.

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

What if noone achieves the "relevant" status because the bleeding arts and artists got their hands tied ?...

to be honest, I don't see how the game is going to "corner" me and know what is relevant to me unless the game really allows me to be me.

Which isn't the case, not even remotely. I know I'm being told I should play as me, and I kinda see how I can do it, but noone is going to care, especially if we're split all over instances.

Of course thats just me, and I'm not important, so it dosen't really matter.

My opinion is that if I can't see everyone that agrees to FULL LOOT/OPEN PVP/REAGENTS and rules that resemble a mature DnD game... its pointless.

I have a deep spiritual character, which requires the "spiritual sucessor to Ultima" not some guildwars clone with a twist, arenas that are not even linked to community, rules tied to godhand and not common sense...

I know you're making me talk anyways :)

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Have you played any of those little surveys on Facebook. Like what type of career is best for you, or what personality are you... etc?

If you answer honestly, the feedback can be quite accurate. Even for a BS little thing that has only 20 questions at the most, it can figure a lot about you.

Now imagine if you are asked some basic questions, and you answer honestly. The system knows something about you. Then add your friends list. Then add your guild. This right here is A LOT of information about you, and the type of people you associate with. We really aren't as complicated as we think.

The "Google Now" on my phone delivers relevant content to me all the time. It learns my driving patterns, and lets me know in adavnce how long it takes to get some place, and it knows my patters, like if I drop off my daughter at her grandparents house on tuesday night. It also reminds me that my plane will depart and let me know if it is on time (from an email I received a month ago with my flight info). It reminds me about rental cars too (also from an email that I may have forgotten about). I think it's cool actually.

Will SotA's Selective Multiplayer be as sophisticated as Google Now? Well, it doesn't have to be. It just needs to know stuff about you. Keep in mind this game will be tracking your behavior. Who's to say it won't track other things about your playstyle? So not only will it have your answers to questions, it will have your friends, and your actions as a tool to find other people who are relevant to you. It seems like this is a system that can grow with the game.

So don't worry about it. I'm sure version one of selective multiplayer will be fine. They might enhance it over time. Who knows. One thing is for sure it will know plenty about you. But really it doesn't need to track all that stuff to be effective at matching you with people. Just a few questions, and a list of friends should provide quite a bit of info.

However I don't know how they will develop it. I'm just saying this is not impossible with today's technology.

Joviex likes this.
  4. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

It's probably been used for years in MMO's none show every player in an area, its down to the companies capabilities, everything you touch now that's connected to the internet is used to put you in some little box.
    The main selection criteria with them all is can they get your money, so if you are a regular add on shopper that's who you will be selected see more of.

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I know and completely will give it a try for sure since I've invested alot in this endeavor... but I'm supposed to take apart of this, not be faced with a medieval facebook farmville... neither I'm supposed to be in the dark about whatever decisions are being made long term about the structure of the gameplay I'm going to be faced with.

I'm going to start using Strider's quotes soon...

There is also the creepy fact of being tracked in every move, which was not present in UO and gave a certain sense of freedom.

Beleive me you who carries the name of a prophet and seem to profess coherent arbitrations... I've went through those hoops before. You just know and get "used" *pardon the pun* and then well things might happen but they will happen after you went through those hoops.

And most certainly after a while you end up not being yourself, because you know your every move is observed.

I hope all of you have read the disclaimer for this game, because nobody seems to really understand how next level our game is going to be. It especially states that you agree to be monitored, and many other interesting things.

We HAVE to learn from our past mistakes or we will seclude like the rest, divide and conquer, a market a library a synagogue...

life is past mystery unfolding before your very eyes, time to fasten seatbelt :)

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

So you're saying if you believe your every move is tracked you will not be free to be you?

That is my biggest beef about political correct speech, karma, political parties, and religion of all kinds.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

well its not only that... I'm saying that to have a healthy balance you need a strong community that gets forged by the opposition of freewill in action. The system needs to be transparent, and once a firm basis or concensus is established then we head into creative territory. There need to be a struggle to create the purpose and functions...

Right now we have people getting left in the dark... almost as a sad joke. This nourishes a sense of sarcasm to some peoples ideas which is obnoxious and leads to outbursts and collateral damage in some cases.

Where are we going ?

8. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

They started out in partnership with Zynga so don't get your expections up to high, unless Medieval Sim meets Farmville & Ultimate collector rocks your little boat.
    I have seen threads with some asking to have a Poker mini game added with real money betting, are they players or Just some Faceless New Brittanian steering the community were it was always going to go.

9. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

lol then i might play the game, even if the combat system would be bad !!

just to gamble !!!!

if you gamble for real life money or not doesnt matter , that would be a form of enjoyable endgame .

about the small zones/hexes if they would be 4 times as big as they are now and every zone would have 4 different servers with a matchmaking system
    that connect you to the best ping server EUorUS and put you in the right world depending how you are flagged open word pvp /pve only

the combat could be made much better without desinch or any problems

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

There is whole other layers of ways to achieve that with less and less lag Roland, I'm trying to hint at it since the start of the project now... I'm pretty sure there is no professional network expert YET in the team and they must be looking for someone good. Because I know many companies offer different cloud architecture right now, you can get away with it for 5-10k... which is peanuts. Hire a pro from one of those companies, and now you got a structure that is not a sponge like the proposed "market standard" approach.

I have a much better solution and did a good job at mentioning it indirectly, yet it seems that noone knows what I'm talking about, which is very disturbing since I'm not particularly genius anymore in programming (I was very good 10 years ago). I just tought I guess that more knowledgeable people would be drawn to these conversations and share a little of their precious ideas, maybe thats what portalarium expected too : better luck next time :p seems I'm the only "fool" to spread out so thin in public.

I rather have real money betting and poker and arena fight bets and anything that I can obviously choose not to participate with, than having the insiduous pattern of large guilds taking control of ressources by meta-gaming their way through and they make money by selling it while making you feel compassionate about them cause they "help" new players.

It's funny because my architecture also prevents all type of meta-gaming... I've had it for 15 years, and everytime I explain it to a programmer he looks at me like I'm some form of advanced alien and dosen't get the first yard about it.

I'm guessing its taboo, wagram u have balls...

People have all sorts of ways to enjoy games, so you can't use heuristics and preference algorythms to match players. In my case being a companion I clearly would LOVE to see that mismatched player from Ivory Coast that likes to fish on the side of the river and then I can stop "gaming" and start "playing" and try to help him completely in character, not by giving him stuff, but by teaching him the tricks and share some time in a role playing game. Or maybe I will want to engage with the lonely carpenter and deal only with him to buy my house deco, because in character I admire his skill (really I admire his rythm and typing style)...

without the imagination we're stranded...

You see thats me, I'm strange, so maybe I'm wrong in saying this is very important.

anyways,

ITS VERY IMPORTANT !!!

11. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

I have waited to see how they will implement the dual scale map system before giving my opinion. Now I has to stress that I HAVE watched to video explaining why they are doing it but what concerns me is the intent is to never bring the bulk of the world into 3D with ability to roam and gather herbs and hunt and explore... this is a serious flaw.

The world MUST be adventurable... make it its own zone and add the area's and cities and dungeons in as their own zones but if you intend to leave the overworld map the way it presently is with some graphic improvements the game WILL fail to bring in a substantial customer base.

You can have it seperated from all the cities and dungeons and encounter areas for zoning purposes but it MUST be walkable (ridable if you have a horse) and there must be creatures to encounter and herbs to gather and tree's to chop down and lions and tigers oh my!

Right now when traveling on the map it feels like a 1980's game... NO ONE is going to play a game that feels so old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.