The New SoTA Solo/ PvE / PvP Slider - Check it out

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Duke Crachazz, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Sat down and built the slider how I think it should work, feel free to play around with it, read the descriptions of each game mode and have your say in this thread.

https://db.tt/AWqWrga4

or

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95286678/shroud-of-the-avatar-slider/index.html

(please note, the page you arrive on after clicking the links in this post are not just images... You can actually click the buttons you see there, please do)

(ps: forum admins, would be nice to have custom BBcode for iframes in the forums, would make things like this here much easier)

Abydos, jdrasin, kadumel and 11 others like this.
  2. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Good work, will they all be able to have houses and vendors?

3. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Yeah, That would work exactly as already planned by Portalarium

Sinclair likes this.
  4. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

Great job... you know we should meet in the middle n if devs wanted to make everyone happy n have a big population.. I think me n my guildies would be fine saying ok full pvp with half loot n that being just luck of the drawl. Would you guys do that?

5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

If these guys say its good ill have to take thier word for it, im at work and it wont let me go to the page you left here! But i do trust theirs and your judgement!

6. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

7. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Really great job! Clear structered and defined. That would have my consent. It enables me to decide wheter i am willed to fight with another players or not. That avoids me being ganked by PKs and i can play and chose the gaming style which i personally prefer. And not what other mean PvP could be the end-kick playstyle and declare it as a de-facto standard for all. On the other hand, hardcore PvP is then also supported for all who needs this additional kind of a kick.

P.S: Not that you are thinking i am against PvP, i like PvP, but i also like to have the control about it.
    I was also beta tester of UO and played UO over years. I really understand your PvP kick, but for a lot of people this open world PvP resulted in frustration and finally the game fun had gone. I am playing to have fun with the game anf for relaxation. Those win with the best gear and skills. I have a family and limited time to play, i would also never have a chance against an fully equipped PK. Same situation e.g. With the DaoC and AoC PvP servers. It run into frustration and the amount of players decreased. I personally prefer the classic DaoC PvP/RvR mode which was an integrated part of the game. There were unproteced areas with PvP enabled E.g Guild wars / fraction wars and there were proteced areas for PvE.

8. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Everything else would work as Darkstarr & Portalarium already suggested, i.e Guilds could fight everywhere, if they are enemies, or guildies could have duels etc etc.

If the game modes are designed similar to my slider suggestion, we could all have the best of all worlds. Nothing left to be desired, nobody comes too short, and everybody can play the way they want (Yes, even the RP guys :D )

Jivalax Azon and docdoom77 like this.
  9. Ferrus

Ferrus Avatar

Fully support this, and want to see this in the game.

Abydos likes this.
  10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

This is what I had imagined they were going to do. If it's possible for them to implement it with the resources they have, I think they definitely should!

Ferrus and Jivalax Azon like this.
  11. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I could support this. I am not an Open PvP fan, but a slider like this gives me the option to consent to combat if I choose. Very nice work! Clear, concise and obvious. Best example I have seen.

Time Lord, Annavas Azon and Ferrus like this.
  12. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

What about contested resources? Does this just do away with that idea entirely?

Basically this sounds like you're saying "Lets make Trammel" (not a criticism, just pointing out all the problems anyone had with the Trammel/Felucca thing apply here).

Without changing the loot drops, there isn't really any risk/reward tradeoff in this - pvp mode is just more risky, with no benefit unless you're pking. If you change the loot ratio, some people will be unhappy (not that I think you can make everyone happy, just pointing out that as it's laid out, it doesn't solve all problems).

Honestly, I want something in between the pvp and multiplayer option given here - I imagine most of the time I'm playing, I won't want an only-consensual multiplayer mode, or a totally open pvp world. I had warmed up to what they've been proposing all along - zoned pvp with incentives for going into pvp zones.

13. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Interesting but I don't think they'll do this because it would make things a lot more complex than they would be other wise. Most likely you'll just be auto sorted with PvP or non-pvp players based on your style. In addition certain areas will cause you to temporarily have the PvP flag turned on such as areas with rare resources, area considered dangerous, or PvP quests. In general you'll only have to do PvP if you choose. There will be full time PvP guilds. But in the end there is no point bringing up PvP until after R4 because the developers aren't going to talk about it since combat and skills isn't even completed and released yet. So wait till after R4 for more PvP clarification I'm sure most of you will be happy with the way they do it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

14. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

I would also add more to the Multiplayer Online Not Open PvP mode.
    I would make it like just like the proposed system they have now with guilds and all.

Also, when it comes to blocking people, that might not be as obvious as it seems.
    If I am in a guild war, I can't just start making people disappear from the instance by banning them.

I too always thought we would have the red side of the slider..
    I truly can't understand why we wouldn't.

It's like the Devs have been convinced the world with that option would be empty.
    But with instancing it might not be the case, we haven't even tried. With 60 some people per instance, the right side of the slider might end up generating fewer cloned instances, so what..
    And ff that is the case so what, why not let us try.
    I don't understand why people fought so hard to eliminate any kind of open PvP for anyone. (I know not everyone did, no, a few peppered open PvP hexes is not a great alternative)

I really really hope they look at this and think about it really hard again.

I just want to add that in the full PvP world, I still advocate for some fully protected hexes (Backed up by story driven NPCs) and some semi-protected hexes.

Jivalax Azon and docdoom77 like this.
  15. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

I think it's more than fair to talk about it now.
    I know it's all theory until we see something concrete.

But there is always hope that until then, the DEVs take into account and consider some of the proposed ideas.
    These forums are here for us to tell them what we want and help them shape ideas.

If we remain silent, we will never see the game we want.

docdoom77 likes this.
  16. Owain

Owain Avatar

That is what we would like, but that is exactly what Starr Long has said we will not have. You propose exactly what we have been proposing for months. Clearly, wanting is not enough. Portalarium knows what we want, and have rejected it.

Ferrus, BillRoy [ab] and Isaiah like this.
  17. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Good use of bootstrap, but....

The problem is it is anathema to the entire idea of what they want to accomplish i.e. mixing social inclination lines.

At least, everything said to this point has been about mixing the ideology of players, not marking clean lines in the sand. Otherwise, you could do that extremely easily, yes, like you did here.

Doing what you have here is great for the player, for a time, but then sucks when he/she wants to change their method of play, yet not lose sight of all their friends online.

IOW, it is too crisp, and they are looking for a more fuzzy logic solution.

And I find this to be part of the problem on the other side. You advocate not doing a 90/10 world non-pvp yet then turn around and say it should be 90/10 pro-pvp.

So it is not okay one way (for what reasons BTW), but your way it is okay (again, for what reasons BTW).

You are also making the assumption there are only "a few peppered" hexes for PVP. We have zero clue what the ratios are ATM.

But I digress because I am still curious, in all the PVP threads I have read, not one has clearly outlined the absolute benefits to an Open PvP World with Full Looting, beyond either saying it brings some virtual fear/heighten awareness.

What makes it good to do? Does it move the economy in some way?

Does it enhance the story driven aspect of the actual game they are making in some way?

Do towns/villages/social networks become more important because of the imminent threat which in turns makes certain areas important centers of control? <-- Is that a good thing (emergent) or is it something that is a design problem for the developers trying to control the first part of this series i.e. the actual game they are making first?

IOW, I haven't read, from anyone, an attempt to try asking those questions and answer them, so I have to gravitate towards it not being a good thing, overall, for the game they are trying to make (first).

Now, I know @vjek is going to correct me here, because he has, in a lot of his travels here, posted many mechanisms and ideas for resolving this issue. So I cant lump everyone in the same bag, except, the vast majority of voices in this tirade of pro-pvp or nothing dont seem to even have the questions to answer, let alone the answers.

Maybe, instead of everyone hammering the forums with broken ideas all over the place, you guys should gather all that source material into a single, solid document, and present that?

Design documentation is what developers speak, not forum chatter really.

Cheers.

18. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

This is correct, they don't want the lines to be drawn so black and white. So I might run into a quest that involves some form of PvP (an optional quest, mind you) that means I have to visit a hex that is tagged "open" to PvP. So I have a mixed environment where (let's say I'm NOT in a PvP type guild) I'm generally just doing PvE, crafting, questing, etc; but in this particular case (the quest) I have the option to try out some PvP if someone happens to be camping that hex, waiting for players to drop in. This enables a fuzzy version of PvP/PKing as opposed to an "all-or-nothing" button on login.

Alayth and Margard like this.
  19. Ferrus

Ferrus Avatar

Why not keep the slider proposed above, and also use it in conjunction with the proposed PvP hexes and objectives laid out in the stretch goals?

They could have it so in the PvP and Objective based hexes, it pulls from both the Multiplayer Online and the Multiplayer Online - Open PvP player pools. Seems everyone gets what they want then.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  20. Owain

Owain Avatar

That would be great if Portalarium were interested in Open PvP, but they aren't, so in the absence of information to the contrary from the devs, don't get your hopes up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.