The New SoTA Solo/ PvE / PvP Slider - Check it out

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Duke Crachazz, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vjek

vjek Avatar

There's no need for a slider as shown in the first post, as that feature can be included immersively, in-game, at any time, as outlined by kickstarter.
    What the original poster is asking for is LESS functional and LESS immersive than what has been outlined by Portalarium to date. In my opinion, that makes it an unlikely solution.

And yes, there are many many other better ways to fulfill these desires for meaningful pvp and economic drive than these 1997-era solutions. Hence why we've seen actual progression in mechanics in the intervening 17 years for player conflict, harvesting, looting, travel, rewards, crafting, housing, guilds, progression and skills.
    Not all in one game, no, and I personally doubt SotA will use even half of them..

But there has been progress. A forced "logout to switch your mode to pvp" is frankly stepping backwards in time. Heck, not even Warhammer Online made you do that, and at best, SotA player conflict will be a pale shadow compared to that game.

If everyone was using Warhammer+DAoC as the baseline, and then asking for MORE than that, there might be some innovation. Why? It was all in-game-geography-based-consensual player conflict.

2. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

This is actually exactly what I meant...
    Everything stays as it was planned up until this point, the different slider options are GAME MODES, not different worlds / servers / instances.

The slider setting could be chosen every time before you log in, and simply determine the ruleset with which you will be playing and then mix you together with people that chose the same ruleset.

But you won't be jailed in this ruleset, you could log out and chose another slider option next time, and would still be in the same world, with the same houses, same everything, just play with a different mix of people and rules.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  3. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Sorry? I actually propose the exact same game modes that Portalarium proposes in your link to kickstarter as well?
    Just with some additions (open pvp mode) and some additional settings for those who do not like pvp and those who only want consensual PvP...

So I don't see why you are saying my suggestion is less immersive and less functional?

Also, my suggestion doesn't require you to log out to participate in PvP? The Multiplayer (OPO) mode has consensual PvP for those who like it, but I was also thinking about the RP type people who never even want to fight or be asked by others to fight, so they could select this optionally... If you like consensual PvP you wouldn't need to switch game modes, or log out etc?

So the slider just simulates what we already are seeing in the pre-alpha client, a radio button / check box where you select the game mode. But it could be integrated in many different ways or forms.

Jivalax Azon and Ferrus like this.
  4. vjek

vjek Avatar

5. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

lol ok, that was written after your initial response... Also says COULD ... But ok, nitpick it's fine ;)
    Might want to read over everything again if you want to post something constructive, because I've only extended Portalariums way of doing things, nothing else.

6. vjek

vjek Avatar

I was trying to be subtle, but apparently that approach isn't going to work here. :)

Your idea is less functional and less immersive because it requires players to log out to switch modes, or only choose them at login. Portalariums system does not, as per kickstarter.

Joviex likes this.
  7. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Sorry, that is what you are misinterpreting. Portalariums method are also different game modes, and the slider is a visual interpretation, nothing more.
    And I clearly said COULD log in / log out, as well as that it COULD be implemented in ANY way or form...

It's just building up on Portalariums exact idea...

I think you are imagining the "slider" in this example too literal, it's a visual way of explaining the different game modes and my additions to the forum crowd, because RG was always talking about a slider in game...

It could be anything tho, in game, out of game, a circle, a button, real-time slider, whatever would be deemed best.

8. vjek

vjek Avatar

Right, but without a literal slider, it's all in-game, and Portalariums system. The two images you posted wouldn't be used, then.
    What they have described already is more flexible than what you're proposing, so... what are you building up or adding on to what they already have?

Joviex likes this.
  9. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

lol, I'm sorry, do you expect me to make an example game now as well and add the slider in there to make my point? ;)
    (also, what images, you do realize I posted a fully functioning website, so please do me a favour and actually click on the buttons in the slider to see my additions, it is not just an image!)

So you previous posts starting to make sense now, you thought I posted an image of a slider and expected that to be integrated in the game :)

Nono, I posted a website I whipped up, where you can click the buttons, and it will show you explanations of the game modes... (again, as a visual tool to explain the additions in the game modes, to the forum crowd)

10. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

The *only* addition that I read was choosing to go into an "all PvP, all the time" world; that's not part of Portalarium's vision. You can have all Pvp all the time but it will need to be in within the bounds of guild battles (either GvG or PVP Guilds).

vjek and Joviex like this.
  11. vjek

vjek Avatar

Ok, then uh... describe how the idea is better without the images? o_O I guess? The slider doesn't add anything.
    The images don't really matter, there's nothing of value being added here with what's been described or demonstrated so far.

[​IMG]

Adding another mode (in red) seems to be the additional idea, right?

Joviex likes this.
  12. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Sorry, you also didn't click the buttons, you just read the text on the buttons...
    I made a note in the first post now, so people realize it is not just an image but a real website where the page elements are clickable...

13. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I did click them, what is wrong about what I said?

vjek and Joviex like this.
  14. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

ok sorry, I dont know what else to say lol.

Can you guys please click the buttons ? It is NOT just an image

15. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Ok Seir, if you don't see the additions the other posters saw, I don't know what to say :)

It is an attempt to bring everybody together and give every play-style what they want.

A way the game modes could work so that everybody could co-exist.

16. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

You're imagining "Open PvP" to be fully free-for-all right? So no karma system. There's no sense of "friendlies." AoEs hit everything?

Or something different?

17. vjek

vjek Avatar

Gonna leave this one alone until tomorrow, here's my last post for today:

crachazz: What you've outlined is less functional, and less immersive, than what Portalarium has outlined for player conflict and game modes, to date, for SotA. In particular, all mode changes, as per kickstarter, will be possible IN-GAME. Everyone can already co-exist, with what Portalarium has described.

Can't say it more clearly than that. Have a good one!

NRaas and Joviex like this.
  18. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Can you please stay on topic, I am not imagining anything, it is again... An attempt to create the game modes so that EVERYBODY could co-exist.
    This is what this thread is about, the idea I am proposing, it is not another pvp thread that gets out of hand.

If you write here, please keep it on topic, after you read all the game mode ideas in my example slider (while actually clicking ALL of the 5 buttons in the slider)

Thank you guys :)

19. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Sorry, but are you just trying to create an argument? I actually said a few posts back up already, my slider is a VISUAL tool to explain the game modes... The actual integration in the game would be exactly how Portalarium already plans it... Don't know how I could be any more clear than that too ;)

And PS: again, the slider is not an image, the buttons, all of them, are clickable and show you my ideas about the game modes... You clearly did not click them 9also said they are two images) so please, you are arguing here atm over nothing.

20. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

But they are on topic. You have done nothing new here that was not already designed by Portalarium.

Their whole proposal was about some social "slider", in game, that you use to filter various levels of social indicator, relevant to you, in and out of the game.

That includes PvP play-styles, and pure friends.

What you have done is, as I mentioned, made it more crisp i.e. either you are in mode X or mode Y or mode Z. Portalarium's vision is more grey allowing to mix various play-styles all within the same frame.

So you could be in a town with 5 PVP players, hardcode, 10 crafters who just happen to overlap you n the social circle of friends of friends, all your guildmates, etc.... while at the same time their sliders are all at various levels, not a set of crisp levels.

The system they proposed, and how I read it, is one of fuzzy logic and Venn diagrams. If you have ever played with any graph databases or edge databases, that is what I see: A ton of social links, on the edge data connections, that get filtered at run time to show and hide various "in instance" people from your view.

We, I, realize what an HTML button is. Again, your "buttons" are merely showing the crisp levels and not the grey interconnections Portalarium is intending to shoot for.

vjek and Link_of_Hyrule like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.