The Rage I Feel For Just Finding Out About Shroud

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trippy, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trippy

Trippy Avatar

I was just having some beers the other day with a good friend here in Austin. We were talking about what would make for a great new game. I was telling him stories about UO and its' detail crafting system, personal housing, and the fun of having to look over your shoulder while chopping wood. We talked about how cool it would to have a game that was crafting heavy and making all the skills dependent on each other.

A few days go by and I am bored at work so I start searching to see if there are any new games coming out that might be using this mechanic. And low and behold! Not only is Shroud being made, but it is headed up by Lord B himself.

The rage part is that I am mad I missed the Kickstarter. I would have loved to have been an original member. But alas, at least I am here now.

So here are the obligatory "New Guy" questions:
    1) Can I up my pledge level after first pledging?
    2) Can only people at the "Developer" level create new things for the game?
    3) How do I get on the Release 5 list?
    4) And what times does the server reboot so I can grab the movable bowl of fruit in order to decorate my house? (This question is just to verify my UO chops) :)

Looking forward to helping out!
    Trippy

2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

3. Trippy

Trippy Avatar

Cool! Thank you for the info!

I am in at the $45 level to start. BUT I am eyeing the $550 so I can get a house plot. I remember spending way too much timing running around looking for an open spot to drop my house in UO. This might be worth it.
    I see that you can stretch the payments out over several months. This would make it easier to get past the wife. Question is, would I get the Developer level stuff up front or would I have to wait until the full amount has been paid?

Trippy

4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Welcome to New Brittania Trippy!

5. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@Trippy
    Welcome to the community!

To answer your question, once you start a payment plan you are granted access to the dev+ areas. All digital and physical rewards are also reserved for you as well, though they will not be available until the game is closer to launch.

Enjoy R5 this weekend!

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  6. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Welcome to the World, @Trippy! We're always glad to see new faces.

Only because I have seen the sometimes unhappy responses of prior UO players when learning about some of the details of our amazing game here, I encourage you to read / review the following posts, and if you are strong of heart, the rest of the threads they start:

https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/pvp-death-current-thinking-megapost.8247/
    https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/magic-combat-and-crafting-skills.3937/

And a good general 'everything in one place' thread is:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/unofficial-faq.9626/

I look forward to reading your posts!

7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Welcome to the community. Have a round on me!

[​IMG]

1. Yes and you can even create a payment plan.
    2. Anyone can create new content. Those at the Dev+ tier have access to Unity asset packs and such and exclusive forums.
    3. Back at the Adventurer tier or higher and you're set to play this weekend.
    4. Not sure about server reset time.

Edit: While you missed the KS, there are three promos you can take part in now.

1. If you list someone as a referrer (I'd be happy to be a referrer), then you get a special emote.
    2. After you pledge, click this link and get $20 added to your account for free. http://na.alienwarearena.com/news/get-a-20-shroud-of-the-avatar-pledge-upgrade
    3. They do contests from time to time, and there is one going on right now. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=39149

8. Lady Addy

Lady Addy Avatar

Welcome Trippy!

Time Lord, Jivalax Azon and Koldar like this.
  9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Welcome to the comunity of SotA!

I agree that getting a tax free lot is worth the price. If you play a long time (the 5 years+) it should pay for itself.

If you do upgrade your pledge remember that you can put "anyone's email" in the referrer spot. Many times an autofill had put the same email address in all of the email fields and it worked. Referrers get a free $25 added to their pledge.

10. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I have that exact same 'rage' everyday. ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Mata

Mata Avatar

Willkommen Trippy

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  12. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

For now we dont have something like the fruit basket that regenerates every reboot. But I wish.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

You must learn the lesson of Minax.

[​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Welcome to SOTA, here's a complimentary daily rare fruitbasket!
    [​IMG]
    I did login when the Age of Shadows release happened and players were crossing over using the server transfer tokens
    the funniest things I noticed were the differences in UO culture. In Japanese UO Shards they don't say "1mil" gp they say "1kk" gp,
    and when I saw them they were interested in trading the Hooded Shroud of Umbrae for the Hooded Shroud of Shadows
    as it appeared to be a main reason they traveled so far, but the number 1 thing they seemed to be interested in were fruit baskets,
    and on the Japanese shards they don't simply call them fruit baskets, they call them FB, the trader kept yelling "fb! fb! fb! fb!"
    It was so funny, they loved fruit baskets so much they had an akronym for them. I guess fruit basket decos have a much higher
    demand on Tokuno.

We need server births and daily spawns, for the more mundane repetitive things in the world it added a bit of fun to the world.

Time Lord and Eriador like this.
  15. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Welcome Trippy.

You will find lots of old UO players here. The community is friendly (as long as you don't mention PvP) and very helpful.
    See you around.

16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Welcome Trippy, I'm glad you could join us. We've all been waiting around here for the next new idea to come popping out from our brains and we sure could use some fresh perspectives on things :D

So, dig in and start hacking away :eek:
    Welcome Brave Avatar...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

17. Caerunnos

Caerunnos Avatar

Looks like I'm in the same boat as Trippy... but incredibly glad to see this game in development. If it can recapture ( and hopefully build upon ! ) some of the fond memories of UO gameplay - I'll be a happy camper !

Thanks for posting those links, Phredicon. Lots to read through, but a big help in getting up to speed on where things are at. Cheers !

18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

A hearty welcome to @Caerunnos as well then!

To sum things up, PvP won't be like launch UO. It won't be forced non-consensual PvP with full loot. That being said, I think SotA will recapture a lof of what made UO great. And I personally think the PvP design of SotA is great. It provides great compromise. It provides incentive to explore PvP, which should make PvP more enjoyable with good players wanting to jump in the fray. And it ties PvP into lore and story quests.

@Trippy mentioned that a big part of what they loved about UO was deep crafting systems, interconnected skills and playing housing. SotA will have all of that.

SotA will also be better than UO in that it will provide a great story with a full campaign, which UO never really did sadly.

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  19. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

And a big welcome to @Trippy and @Caerunnos! Former UO players are most welcome - you will find much to connect and identify with. At the same time, as has already been mentioned, there will be a dynamic storyline, and compelling quests to do, in order to - I don't know - save the world, or bring back the forsaken virtues. Or something.
    Definitely get a housing level pledge if you can - it's worth it.
    See you in New Britannia!

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  20. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Welcome Trippy; do keep in mind the game is more Ultima than Ultima Online and you'll be well served by it :)

Cir, Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.