This is what PVP will be like in SOTA.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

There is open world PvP.

Silent Strider and Joviex like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

He acknowledged this, but not for the reason you think.

It split the community.

Making PvP consensual was not what he was referring to.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Azbolg,

I've been here from the Kickstarter and have been listening to the devs pretty closely; they're pretty committed to the idea that all PvP is consensual.

I think the best thing Open PvP supporters can do help is make the system for people who do flag PvP work really well. The better it works, and the more people feel that if they turn it on they won't get ganked all the time, the more people will flag for it, and the more consensual PvP will look like an unnecessary safety feature. But you need a proof of concept that it works well first.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Oh Christ's Adulterous Mother... another one.

5. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

no trammel was the best and the right way, separate the players to satify everyone is the best you can do, so pvp players and trammel people get the ruleset they want and the playstyle they like and are happy. 60 percent are pvp people who like to live in a dangerous world of freedom and 40 percent are people who not like that. so releasing 1 world for pvp or pve pnly would cost the game half of there clients

releasing a game with a mixed ruleset to somehow satisfy everyone in the same instance not work especially when pve and pvp people want something totally different this maybe scare pvp and pve interested players away and prevent them to invest time in the game

- problem with trammel
    noobs applied the patch to early without thinking !! you had the same bank for trammel like for felucca !! you could travel to trammel geared with stuff in your inventory !!!

that the economy didnt get separated was the gamebreaker !!! all people rage quitted !!!

all felucca shops destoyed , all felucca dungeons empty... even pvp people and felucca shop owners exploited trammel to save farm mats and to keep up with the trammel prizes :( this totally destoyed the whole world of ultima online and made felucca dungeons empty good job that was the hotspots for pvp once...

this might caused that the developers think , trammel was more populated it was, because the pvpers left XD and the remaining pvp people save farmed in trammel or bought there stuff there and traded there because you got forced to go to trammel to get max profit bull...

i cant speak for everyone, only for me and my friends ,but we invested a lot of time and parents money in the game XD

the trammel patch was the reason why the old school ultima players i know quited ,the best clients who was willing to spend a lot of money for the internet , to play it harcore

i know arround minimum 30 players from the network cofee who stoped with ultima and played age of camelot and other games afterwards

Moonshadow and Azbolg like this.
  6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Trammel redesigned the entire PvP world, of course it destroyed Felucca. That was the plan. Without that destruction it could not be rebuilt into what they wanted.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This whole post is veiled insults....what on earth?

Those who are shamed? Who would that be do you think?

Note the words I used in my post...bothered....because being harassed to fight someone when I don't want to is being bothered...annoyed....not more fun like you think. I didn't get PK'd much in ultima online...because I didn't stick around long enough to care...it wasn't good compared to the older ultima games in my opinion.

I will point you towards the fact that the devs have said what you have suggested won't happen...I take them for their word.

PS: I'm not against open pvp at all....just forced pvp.

8. Nugs

Nugs Avatar

Here's a fairly simple way to satisfy everyone involved.

Put the best loot in the game in PvP-enabled areas.

Player Vs. Player is ALWAYS going to be more difficult of a fight than Player Vs. AI. There's only so much AI is capable of. Players however, are capable of anything within the confines of the game design. You want to reward players the best items in the game? Make them struggle for it.

The best fights will ALWAYS be Player Vs. Player. You don't know their skillset, you don't know their level, you just know to expect ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. You can script some pretty intense encounters with AI, but you will never feel the same rush as battling it out with another player, or group of players.

Think about it.... what's a better bossfight than one in which you have NO IDEA what to expect. OR, the bossfight that's scripted and you just have to do the song and dance to beat it.

Lets all sit around the campfire for a moment, and relive the first days of my first MMO experience.

It was sometime in October of 1997, I was a 14 year old kid who didn't know much about life.... I knew that school was boring, my parents sucked for making me do chores, and that video games were about the best thing ever.

A friend of mine had told me about this new computer game, Ultima Online. You got to play with 100's of other people AT THE SAME TIME. "Wow", I thought. This isn't like any game I'd ever been a part of before. I had played Doom, Warcraft, and some other LAN-enabled games... but those were limited to a small number of connections. Never before had I seen or encountered 100's of players simultaneously all playing the same game at the same time. That was the moment I became hooked to MMO's and online gaming.

I was lucky enough to be a member of a family that was employed in the computer industry at the time. I had a second phone line just for internet in my house. I had ran up my AOL bill to $100's of dollars, accidentally, before. I was one of THOSE kids. So naturally, upon hearing about this super-new-awesome type of game that I got to play with 100's or ever 1000's of other people, I KNEW I was going to have fun.

That..... wasn't exactly the case when I got my copy, convinced my parents to give me their credit card info for a monthly subscription, and signed up and logged in for the first time.

I read the instruction booklet (who does that anymore?!) and had seen all the glorious options laid out before me. I had decided I wanted to be a swordsman who was also made all of his own implements of destruction. Sweet. The stage was set for my adventure. Blacksmithing set to 50, Swordsmanship set to 50, I was READY for this.

First thing I do upon entering this new world? FIND THE NEAREST MOUNTAIN! I pulled out my handy cloth map of Britannia, located my starting city of Vesper, and saw the nearest mountain wasn't but a short distance to travel. Sweet. I was off on my adventure. Little did I know how epic that adventure would become....

I arrive at the nearest mountain I could find, and I begin to toil away mining the ore that I was going to forge into my first set of armor. I was happily plunking away at the mountain, finding ore occasionally, and loading myself up as much as I could to take back to town to smelt away the unusable material. I was happy, I was having SO MUCH FUN just plunking away at this mountain hoping to hit some ore so I could forge my armor and weapon to go out adventuring! Holy crap it wasn't like anything I'd ever experienced before! After making the trip a number of times, I was getting close and closer to having all the materials I needed to forge some simple armor and a weapon to go slay evil creatures with... Or so I thought.

From out of nowhere, I was suddenly being attacked! Now, I had seen some giant spiders and random creatures before running through the forest to get to the mountain... but this... this wasn't a monster, it was a player, a RED player. I had figured, since it was a player, and not a monster, I could bargain with them for my life, I would offer some of the ore/ingots I had collected to get them to leave me alone. It worked! I had struck a deal with the attacker to let me mine in peace for some of my iron ingots. Or... at least that's what I thought. After giving this scoundrel some of my precious ingots that I had spent a couple hours mining for.... You can all probably guess what happened next. He killed me, he looted my body, then he carved me up. I was devastated. I couldn't believe this had just happened, all that work, all that time, all of it was wasted. I thought to myself, how dare he! I even gave him some items that I had been working so hard for in order for him to leave me alone! What a total jerk. Who could do something like that? He got soemthing for just the promise of not attacking me and killing me! Why would he do this?!

I was in despair... I couldn't believe what had just transpired! Lost so much time and ingots all due to one jerk who went back on his word. He took everything from me. What was I going to do? I had no gold, nothing in my bank, and only the noob clothes on my back and my starting sword. How was I going to get those ingots back? How was I going to get that time I spent getting those ingots back? Well.... I wasn't. I was doomed to reacquiring those ingots AGAIN and mining MORE and potentially risking the exact same scenario happening to me ALL OVER AGAIN. Or was I?

No, I wasn't. I learned that red = run. I wasn't strong enough to fight these guys, so my next best option was to be more careful the second time around. Instead of carrying all my goods on me, I began using the bank (which I didn't even know existed previously) to store items when I ventured outside of the protection of the GUARDS!!(ha) Eventually, I completed that first set of armor and weapon and ventured into my first dungeon, Covetus.

I'll end my story there, because it gets fairly repetitive after that. Most of my time was spent mining the mountain I had located and venturing deeper and deeper into the dungeon Covetus.

The point my story is this. That is an event in my life that I remember VERY vividly. It was unlike any other experience I had had. It was terrible, it was amazing, it was a learning experience. It was a life-experience... just not something as simple as a game experience. I remember it vividly to this very day, and I still get chills thinking about it. Games these days do NOT provide this. They just simply don't. Pick up a game, play it, beat it (or don't), forget about it. This cycle has been on repeat most of my gaming-life. Sure, some games might be more fun than others and you really get into them.... but they don't provide a memorable experience that really makes you go "wow, this is amazing".

This team of developers and this game, has the chance to recreate this feeling all over again. Not just for me, but for potentially millions of others. Providing something that hasn't been provided to gamers in a very long time. A unique experience. A memorable experience. An experience that makes them into lifelong fans of the MMO genre.

Ultima Online was the begining of modern MMO's (yes I realize MUD's existed prior to this, I'm not discounting them). World of Warcraft redefined the modern MMO. Shroud of the Avatar has the chance to redefine modern MMO's again, I want to see that happen.

I'm not saying that this game is going to be terrible if full-loot, non-consensual PvP isn't included. I'm just saying that those two conditions became paramount (for me, at least) for defining a unique, real, and memorable gaming experience.

Please, Developers, don't waste your chance to make this type of impression on millions and millions of new gamers. This game has the chance to do that. I really want to see it happen.

9. Azbolg

Azbolg Avatar

Shakespeare couldn't have said it better himself.

HokageFont likes this.
  10. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack laughs at those who choose to create hollow shell forum accounts to post their views in such a manner.

HokageFont and Joviex like this.
  11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Hahaha I thought I was the only one who noticed the use of CAPS in the same way....bizarro world.

EDIT: Tough question who do I answer?

Simple really, the best loot in the pvp areas would pretty much piss off a large chunk of the fan base.

Nostalgia for the win.

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

So what your saying is if i flag PVP, then all ill see is PVP, or will PVE take up the space, that me as a PVP, wouldnt enjoy since there will be hardly any PVP on the instance and instead more PVE? I thought we all were going to be able to see each other no matter what we flagged? (thats a serious question actually) so please dont take it ay other way!)

Also i wanted to ask Drocis Fondorlato you own a PVP town? It seems to me you are very against PVP, now i could be wrong maybe i just misunderstood so i hope that you are saying, you are against non flagged Pvp, in other words where i as a PVP cannot attack you if you are not flagged PVP?

Abydos likes this.
  13. Nugs

Nugs Avatar

Yes, hollow shell forum accounts to post a view....

Just because it's my first post it's a hollow forum account?

Oh, Ok. Glad to see that makes sense.

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Actually, I do believe they said they would not be putting a hard filter in like that. They gave their reason but I can't remember exactly what it was, or where to hunt it down, it was in a video.

15. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

Honestly I am on board with pvp and full loot being consensual. I personally would just like there to be a chance for loot loss in death though.

I would prefer something like what I think they had in Haven and Hearth. Basically you die and your stuff stays at your corpse. You had so much time to get back to it to retrieve your loot. During that time no one else could loot your corpse. After some time past your corpse turned to bones. At that time it was open for anyone to loot.

Now that could just be a pve type of death. With PVP though since the player actually killed you (and you choose to play in this mode) then that player will be able to loot what you have.

Anyway... it is just my opinion and my preference to have the thrill of risk when playing in a world.

I try and leave these types of heavily divided discussions to others. But it is hard sometimes :)

Abydos likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yeah, it's like a religious or political debate. There's a reality of moderation out there, but eventually someone gets a little too extreme and the conversation degrades very quickly.

Abydos, Joviex and Sebastion like this.
  17. helm123

helm123 Avatar

Lets say they did take this suggestion that at level 30 and above once outside towns you were PVP free game. Would it be possible to increase my crafting ability while staying below level 30 to avoid PVP?

18. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

There's no need to worry about it. PVP will be consensual; that's out of the question, and no clever or attractive suggestions will change that. If you don't want to participate in PVP you don't need to; the only thing that can make you participate in open PVP is your choice, by taking that option and flagging yourself as PVP or by entering in one of the open PVP zones.

That's how it was, that's how it is, and that's how it will be. So if that's what's preventing you to pledge, fear not! pledge and enjoy the game :)

Silent Strider and Abydos like this.
  19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Why would anyone agree to that level 30 thing anyways? It is essentially just putting a timer on when you can become pvp...so you would still have sheep and wolves.

I understand that thrill is important to some people and I am not taking that away from them....they should have that...but don't make everyone have to play that way.

Silent Strider and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  20. Lao Yang

Lao Yang Avatar

I don't get it.
    Crafters in SotA seem to be able to churn out new gear very fast. How can it be valuable then? If I have to change gear rarely will this not devalue the gear also?
    I also still don't buy that there needs to be gear progression for crafting gear to have a meaning. You could enable crafters to create rares. A breast plate made of rare materials, which are hard to gather will always fetch a price.
    Either way if crafting is to mean anything than I am worried about the speed with which crafters can create new gear.

Thanks for the read on the developers opinion's! Hard for me to keep up with everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.