This will break the game. And no, I'm not trolling.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubonic, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Then "We don't know yet" would have been a decent answer. However, we didn't even get that. Instead, there was some toying with the idea of what Pay2Win means.

And even still, if it's not an easy 'no' answer, then there is a greater-than-zero chance that the answer is a yes. Then, everyone who participated earlier has a valid reason to let their side of the issue known.

2. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I would have ignored the question because it's silly. Of course there will be Real Money Transactions, they already have them in the add-on store.

He debated the terms and the question itself because a lot of what was being asked in there were things like, is this going to be p2w. And people said their definition of pay to win is buy game items with money. Well that is already in the game, so let's analyze what pay to win really means. The conversation posted looked like several people on the offensive about paying money for items.

From the snippet we have this is what he said: "Remember that the best items are made by players so even if we allow gold purchase that gold will end up in other players hands so the pay to win actually becomes pay it forward. Or am I missing something?"

He posed the question, IF we allowed it, is it pay to win isn't someone else benefiting from it? If one player buys another players crafting, doesn't that player then have more money to then buy what they need and on and on, and if that is the case, there are gold sinks and some of this money could be going into repairs and taxes and vendor fees. So even with this model money is still being siphoned back out.

3. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Only problem I have is who will the master crafters be. Well the folks with the most money who can buy up resources the fastest. That will drive up prices on resources so that people who don't buy gold have to work their backsides off and still be late to market. Meanwhile the crafters who bought gold and get to market well before anyone else sell to the other folks who buy gold. So the rich get richer and the rest of us struggle as the market for our product is already saturated because of the glut of gold. This will also make it more expensive for non-gold buyers as prices will get inflated because the gold buyers are willing/able to pay the inflated price.
    There is no win on this topic. If you don't buy gold you'll have to be resigned to always being the lagger.

docdoom77 and Geden like this.
  4. Lethe Walpurga

Lethe Walpurga Avatar

I really hope that any game cash purchases are done from the Port store only and not from individuals.

This would provide financial support for Sota while avoiding serious RL issues that come with entities like BMC.

Ezekiel,

I know China was/is huge with WoW sweatshops. EQ and EVE were sweating it up in Romania.

You doing up those ol' stereotypes or you got a different sweatshop locale planned?

Tarsilion likes this.
  5. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

@Ezekiel
    The way things are looking right now you farmers may be the only ones in the game.

6. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

If your theory is correct then it sounds like you should be a gatherer so you can get the gold from the crafters so you can pwn some noobs with....

I rarely purchase goods for crafting if I can avoid, I always tried to gather everything myself. It isn't economically sound generally to purchase it. Being behind? worried about other players being ahead of you? That will happen no matter what. I remember WoW Burning crusade just came out, I was still playing my first character that was only level 40, and I did a who paladin (new for the horde) and there was already a level 45 the day after the game came out and I had been playing for like a month.

7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I might be wrong about this, but I'm pretty certain Darkstarr already stated there would be no renting of properties in game, either by the dev team or by players.

Caliya [ab] and Joviex like this.
  8. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

There is no game system for it, but it can still be done through other mechanics - make someone a kindred of the house (giving them access), and just ask them to pay you. DarkStarr mentioned this as a way to RP renting.

9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

People can do whatever they want. There just won't be a built in mechanic for it. Just like I can hire you as a mercenary...and you can choose to run at the first sign of trouble.

10. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Well, I hope it's possible. When I asked the question way back it was intended as in "can i rent out a room to another player" or something of that nature, and the response was negative. That was quite a while ago tho and i dont recall specifics.

11. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

I think they've basically said renting is unlikely to be a feature in Episode 1, but maybe in the future.

12. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I think the issue is renting a room in your house out. they'd have to divide up houses into rooms and allow access to places, and for renting built in the game that means you set a price and the tenant has to pay it or loses permissions/regains his items. So I can see why that wont be in.

But, if a kindred is like a co-owner in UO then it can easily work for renting whole homes, you just have to enforce collection yourself. Just hope the person doesn't collect your rent then boot you off the kindred list.

13. Margard

Margard Avatar

or someone that rents and takes items not belonging to the player ...

renting seems like a complaint in the making

Caliya [ab] likes this.
  14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

If there is individual permissions on doors as they would have on, say, chests, then it might be easier to manage. You don't have to _completely_ trust the tenant, just make sure to get rent in advance. They would still have to trust you completely to not come in and steal their stuff or accidentally give another tenant permission to your room.

I could see a problem if there is a bug or exploit in a house so that you could either fall through the floor or jump from a higher floor into the window or something to gain access, but those would likely be eliminated over time.

15. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Yep. I foresee huge warning letters "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO GIVE THIS PERSON KINDRED RIGHTS ON YOUR HOUSE AND ALL OF IT'S CONTENTS?" Why, yes I do. "ARE YOU TOTALLY SURE? THIS MEANS THEY COULD STEAL YOUR STUFF!" Um, yea, I think so. "POSITIVELY SURE? WE AREN'T GOING TO GIVE YOU YOUR STUFF BACK IF IT'S STOLEN, KAPEESH?"

And still, someone will file a complaint asking for their stuff back.

Sandbox, baby!

vjek and Margard like this.
  16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Eventually, I plan on having a chain of pubs throughout new britannia, and if i can rent out rooms as well, all the better. :p

17. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I can see potential for specially designed rental houses along with true rental contracts for the future.... I little bit similar to vendor rentals in UO. I think for this release kindred will work fine.

18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

We found the new Jwilson?

3devious likes this.
  19. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I have no faith in gods or men.

Joviex likes this.
  20. Borg

Borg Avatar

What am I missing? As far as players are able to trade crafted items Pay2Win is going to be part of the game there is nothing you can do to stop it.... kinda logical o_O yes I call that Crying too......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.