This will break the game. And no, I'm not trolling.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubonic, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I think you need to stop putting words in his mouth because I didn't read his post like that at all.

Gridley17 and Joviex like this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Maybe you should practice what you preach and think long and hard about what you just said.

..... if you haven't figured it out, you and several other have done EXACTLY the same to Starr in what he said.

3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

How do you read this?

"It should be plane as day to see that selling gold is selling power. If it isn't then I will encourage everybody on this site to comment on every website that does a review of SotA and tell the world to WATCH OUT THEY SCAMMED US. "

Margard likes this.
  4. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

If a person is telling the truth about what Portalarium has done, do you have a problem with truth? Unfortunately it seems to be the only buyer protection available.

Gridley17, Tarsilion and Joviex like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Sorry remind me what they have done again?

6. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Remind me of what Isaiah has done to encourage people to do this right now? Rather than if it becomes the case?

Joviex likes this.
  7. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

I read it as:
    It is up to Portalarium living up to the promises they made what will happen. If they decide to break their promises then they will have to live with the reputation they created for themselves.
    There is ways to make this clear in a game review without calling someone names. Rest assured some of us know exactly how to write a proper review for such cases.

Gridley17 and Caliya [ab] like this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Also you haven't explained to me how you have interpreted his statement and how my interpretation is so very wrong.

9. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Not sure exactly what triggered this; however, I assume assumption of purpose in regards to a like.

I support free speech and freedom of opinion. I hope my post history is indication of this. However, there is the proverbial yelling of fire in the crowded room. You are free to dislike the position of selling gold, but this possibility was mention during Kickstarter. As such, saying they are liars and scammers and purposely trying to damage the success of a game is going to far.

Now I will try to believe the best of your statements as you know I have liked posts and agreed with you in the past. I understand the concerns, but just because someone strongly disagrees with a design decision doesn't mean they are scammers or liars.

Kuno Brauer and Envy / Midian like this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

So if he doesn't get his way he will go around publicly accusing Portalarium of being scammers.

11. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I'm sorry I can't help you with that. You alone will have to understand it without skewing his actual words.

Tarsilion likes this.
  12. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Do you have his exact quote that says his way? Or anything you keep interpreting differently?

Gridley17 and Joviex like this.
  13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

"It should be plane as day to see that selling gold is selling power. If it isn't then I will encourage everybody on this site to comment on every website that does a review of SotA and tell the world to WATCH OUT THEY SCAMMED US. "

14. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

I haven't read through all 18 pages but my take on it is as follows.

There are many games out there that don't sell in game currency for real money like WOW and Final Fantasy however just because they don't offer it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Anyone that has played an MMO would be aware of the spam that goes on from third party companies that sell gold made from bots, hacked accounts and game exploits.
    It is a constant battle for companies like Blizzard and Squaresoft to tackle this problem but they never truly succeed in rooting out this issue for good.

If they want to introduce the ability to buy gold in SOTA for real money to me it's simply providing an outlet to allow players to purchase things through a legitimate source as opposed to a dodge third party company.
    This also makes it difficult for third party companies to operate as I'm sure most people willing to spend money on such services would prefer to do it through legitimate means to prevent their account from being banned and to support the developer.
    So I think many of these companies simply won't bother which means less bots, less hacked accounts and less attacks on the system looking for exploits.

As far as it being pay to win, well hopefully they tackle this the way most MMO's handle it by making players achieve certain goals like clear a dungeon to obtain item X as opposed to go to store and purchase it with currency.
    WOW is actually a really good example you can get some great items legendary gear and mounts with currency however the best stuff has to be acquired through playing the game.

It seems that the days of purchasing a game and that is it are almost a thing of the past, most games these days have some form of micro-transaction store and a influx of DLC often released Day 1 of a new title.
    At the end of the day we are all mature enough to work out how we want to spend our money, so if people want to spend it through legal channels to support the developer I have no issues with this and if people want to call it P2W does it make it a bad game?
    Look at Star Citizen people are constantly calling it P2W yet it's raked in 37 Million, for a game that is so called P2W it can't be that bad..

Umbrae likes this.
  15. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Hi Deliverence. You might want to read the 18 pages, as all of what you say has been said before and people have collected a number if arguments why they disagree with that point of view.
    I respect you opinion but I personally do not agree with any of it =)

Gridley17, Isaiah and Umbrae like this.
  16. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

No worries and yea often arguments related to P2W often go around in circles and get pretty heated, it's such a strong topic for so many people we just have to hope that Devs make the right choice what ever it may be.

Tarsilion, Umbrae and Margard like this.
  17. Margard

Margard Avatar

The issue for me is not pay to win; it is balance of power with in a game

Selling gold in game to "protect" people who would do it anyways seems like bad rational for doing it

- In my opinion, have a store NOT in game, where items that any player would want to acquire via cash to save time are available and manage these items

- selling gold to "protect" players that want to buy gold to save time ... or to allow the game to be more accessible to people that have a busy schedule dismisses the potential problems that can arise when you have folks that have both

Time and Money and use it to the detriment of the general gaming populace ... it leads to the game not being fun to play

Tarsilion likes this.
  18. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

Not to mention it means those of us that have neither time nor money will be left even further behind ;)

19. Margard

Margard Avatar

Ditto

20. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I agree. I can only hear the chants of the other side, "There is no behind to get, the game doesn't end...."

...and believing you can simply catch up at one point to be competitive. If they really believed that, however, they wouldn't P2W.

Joviex, TemplarAssassin and Gridley17 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.