This will break the game. And no, I'm not trolling.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubonic, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I think you will find that history shown that it doesn't matter what you put in the T&C, how much online monitoring is done, how many accounts you ban or how much money you throw at it to prevent it...........you will never prevent people making real world transactions in connection with an mmo.

OSullivan and Cropper like this.
  2. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

How will crafter's sell their wares if gold is untradeable? What purpose would gold serve, if not to buy something?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

3. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

To many gamers this is not a question of fine-tuning and quite frankly constitutes a make or break deal.
    On such make or break deals there would ideally an answer BEFORE any fundraising campaign.
    I can savely say that I would never again even consider a game where this was part of the design.

4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would respectfully suggest that if you don't have the constitution for seeing a game developed from the ground up, with all weird and wonderful ideas swirling around.........maybe you shouldn't have backed from the start.....maybe you need to just log off the forums and come back in October and enjoy the masterpiece that has been created.

Lord Baldrith and Mishri like this.
  5. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

What people don't want a closed economy? You mean you don't, as you've said in posts in other threads and beat us up over your agenda for the open economy. And threatened to buy more plots to cause a shortage and drive up prices. I'm not going to look up the posts you had to post here and argue about.

Open and Closed Economies (an interesting read on economics in games)

"In systems, we say a system is 'open' if it can be influenced by things from outside the system itself, and it is 'closed' if the system is completely self-contained. Economies are systems, and an open economy has different design considerations than a closed economy."

"Most game economies are closed systems; you can generate or spend money within the game, but that’s it, and in fact some people get very uncomfortable if you try to change it to an open system: next time you play Monopoly, try offering one of your opponents a real-world cash dollar in exchange for 500 of their Monopoly dollars as a trade, and see what happens — at least one other player will probably become very upset!"

"Ideally, for the game to be balanced, we would want larger collections to give players more options but not more power, which is why I think rarity shouldn’t be a factor in the cost curve of such a game, at least if you want to maximize your player base."

6. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Meh. There's tons more big ticket items to come. PvP, pvm, crafting, gathering, multiplayer, chat etc.

I advise you not to get your proverbial knickers in a twist so soon. There will be plenty of other things for you to complain about in the coming days.

Zen baby.

7. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

True but if you are going to allow it and not try and prevent it or ban anyone for doing it. Everyone in the game will become gold farmers.
    The game would not be worth putting any real time into playing it.

8. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

If the unwillingly humorous denial that this could be called "pay to win" hits mainstream gaming forums in form of this chatlog, backers will probably be the only ones giving Episode 1 a try.
    It reminds me of Clinton's definition of sex :D

9. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

What's causing all the weird idea's swirling through their heads, Moongate Dust

BillRoy [ab] and Caliya [ab] like this.
  10. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Not true. This is the same argument used on the war on drugs which is an unmitigated failure on all accounts. If people want it, they will get it. And that doesn't mean everyone will become a junkie just because some are, that is a facetious statement.

Mishri likes this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

What you are looking for is the "single player offline" mode. Enjoy your house and your closed economy.

And just for clarity as it is clear you don't understand, as soon as you have an mmo where you allow trading in-game between players where they can set the price.....you have an open economy......so my suggestion to you is that if you don't like the idea of players controlling what they do, what they sell and how they sell it....you should stick to single player.

3devious and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

If a house is tied to someone's account, and they're only allowed one house per account, it could minimize it. You wouldn't prevent people from buying multiple accounts, but at least that would contribute to game development by having them jump through that hoop. And if someone wants to actually build a character in a game, they would have to start over on their new account.

The cow's out of the barn and she ain't going back. It was a bad decision and we only see the tip of the iceberg. Now the iceberg is getting exposed in this thread. Titanic anyone?

13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

You always stop botters even if your game allows in-game currency to be sold. That is always a violation, they can also make it a violation to run more than 1 character at a time. You stop those activities that are already not allowed. Gold Farmers... See how I think of gold farmers are those people who do what they can to earn maximum Gold. In my guild they all did daily quests in WoW. I always farmed herbs and made them into useful things. Using inscription I made cards most of the time and sold left over ink. I made a lot of money doing that, all without botting. Last time I logged into the game I was still rich based off of auction house prices. And I made most of that money during WotLK.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Buying gold directly from Portalarium really sounds bad. If they facilitate trades between gold farmers and other players and take a fee for making the trade that's one thing, but buying gold directly from Portalarium is a mistake. Here's why:

It doesn't matter how well @DarkStarr defines pay to win, and it doesn't matter if he's right either... what matters is what will people think when they hear you can buy gold from Portalarium. Most people will make a judgment in the first few seconds and won't wait to sit and listen to reason. They'll say Oh it's like those pay to win games, then pass to the next game.

It's not personal its business. I bet Portalarium loses money rather than makes money if they go the gold selling route. That's my opinion.

15. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Well, I hate the idea of buying gold with real money, but in the end, I hate the idea of buying anything in game with real money and that's never gonna change. :p

Just thought I'd put in my vote for totally against it, but in the end it won't really affect me, since I intend to be an offline player. :D

16. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

It won't stop people, but it means there will be more barriers, it will be less accepted, and fewer people will even think about it. Therefore (my claim is) fewer people will partake in exchanging cash for gold. I'm not concerned about totally preventing it - I know it will happen at least to some extent. I feel like this is the third time I've had to reiterate the same basic point: We know blackmarkets will exist, the question I'm concerned with is: will gold in the official cash shop lead to a much larger number of people trading cash for gold? You've claimed it will lead to less, and I still haven't seen you provide any evidence or arguments in support of this.

Gridley17, Pariah and Tarsilion like this.
  17. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Agreed Isaiah, there will be a lot of issue if Portalarium sells currency that isn't earned in-game by players. 1) people will claim tax-rates and repair costs are designed so you have to buy gold. 2) The economy will be based on the real money gold, not on player made game contributions. 3) even if it is a GW2 style where it's a separate currency for specific things with a certain value as other currency it still causes these issues.

However, facilitating players in player to player RMT I don't think would be viewed as Pay to win the same way. Although a ton of people still said it about D3, those forums had a ton of back and forth on that topic too.

Isaiah likes this.
  18. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Several people I tried to convince to back already did this in relation to backer housing and other rewards.
    Recruiting prospective players might just have become a whole lot harder.

19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You do know that it hasn't even been confirmed that they are doing this.

3devious and Mishri like this.
  20. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

For all the advocates of Portalarium selling gold (and remember it will be NEW gold entering the game economy, not the movement of EXISTING gold from one player to another): How do you intend to combat the resulting hyperinflation? How are you going to handle NPC prices and gold drops ingame?

As the devs intend for everything to be craftable, how are you going to ensure that goods remain reasonably priced for those who can't or don't choose to purchase gold? That last one is especially important to new players.

Gridley17, vjek, Margard and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.