Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Thoughts on Obsidian Crafting

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Sara Dreygon, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, it shares the name, is black, and crystalline. It might be something completely different, or it might be the same thing; but it does share a lot of features.

Ultimately, we don't know what different types of states it exists under in Novia. There might be some states under which it shatters easily, and others where its hard. It might even be in that case that its fragile state might be the one in which ether is absent; and that would make it like obsidian on Earth. Its harder state might be the one in which ether is present; and that might account for the strength of obsidian on Novia.

Its all speculation, yes.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Bowen Bloodgood,

Oh, yea, and the shards in the game seem to reflect light somewhat, like unpolished obsidian would.
    [​IMG]

A bit different from the blackrock in the Ultimas which seemed kind of like a dull ore.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

The blackrock in the original Ultimas always reminded me of the smoking rock in Time Bandits btw
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A bit of a stretch since Ultima didn't have the tech to make it look reflective.

Might have to watch that movie again since we know Richard took inspiration from it (among other sources).

Time Lord likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, but it doesn't even look glossy in the Ultima games, which could have easily been done by adding highlights. It looks just like a really, really dull black rock.

Though its possible that in one state it reflects light and in another it absorbs it. But that's just making things up; and not even necessary to come up with that kind of explanation.. just thinking out loud

Time Lord likes this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hmm.. I guess there's a difference between raw blackrock and the glossiness of the black sword and some other blackrock objects. The gate was kind of dull, though. Whatever. *shrugs*

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It's also entirely possible obsidian in Novia is only glossy cause one or more devs thinks it looks cooler that way. :)

For all that we might speculate one way or the other though.. I doubt there will ever be any official explanation. Blackrock was always the mysterious substance and very little of its actual nature was ever explained. I expect Obsidian to remain the same way.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Bowen Bloodgood,

Yes, though its interesting to speculate on. :D Because it looks so much like obsidian in SotA my leaning is to say its a similar if not the same substance, in a different state. That's just my bias, though.

I also have some questions on the relationship between ether and electrical energy, given that Tesla towers and moon towers are alike and the ether is generated like electricity and then passed on to devices. On the other hand, we know that electricity is only one form that ether can be shaped into (through Air magic, ie lightning). But I'll save that for a different thread, since its a different topic :D

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It would be interesting I think.. to have books written in game speculating on this stuff.. (in fact I may write one.. albeit under a different name and assuming I ever get around to it. :) ).. but I also wonder why kind of RP can be squeezed out the topic.. just get a bunch of nerdy magic types together in an event and argue the nature of New Britannia magic. :)

Alas, we're way off topic now. heh Sooooo.. about that crafting... :)

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Blackrock was definitely *not* traditional obsidian. It was found in mines near other ore, not near volcanic deposits. In Rudyom's Observations on Blackrock, it says:

"The mysterious substance known as Blackrock is completely indestructible. Only by magical means can it be molded and shaped. Blackrock can be found in small quantities beneath the ground, sometimes near lodes of iron ore or lead. Blackrock can be excavated by conventional means, but melting it down into a malleable substance is impossible, except by magic. I have found that a combination of electrical energy and magnetic energy has a profound effect upon the substance. Together, these properties cause Blackrock to become permeable, that is, one can put one's hand through the substance as if it were water!"​

Now my guess is that SotA "Obsidian" is actually pieces of the shattered moon (possibly Blackrock, but that will never be proven) that was subject to the upheaval of magic as it fell through the atmosphere. This has no relation to actual obsidian glass (which, if it exists should be found in mass quantity near Hellfire Rift, and will probably be labeled "Obsidian Glass" instead of "Obsidian Chips"); instead, this substance likely takes its name from the Obsidian Order, who used it fairly extensively.

tldr; - In my opinion, Obsidian is not "obsidian glass", but may be (unofficially) related to Blackrock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.