Thread locking and deleting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reuge, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-was-quick-feedback-for-a-little-while.85985/

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/15-first-minutes-feedback-r40.85761/

Both negative about the starting aspects.. long enough to call a rant? Pretty hard criticism?

Either of these meet your perfect example of a negative-criticsm?
    And id argue both were productive as they made it blatently clear there are starting issues. (my original point)

I could probably look harder then the first page for better examples i suppose, but i also wish i could see some of the deleted ones?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

early days pvp threads that was crazy times, like 100 pages in a day. all rant and pure hatred. please keep up the good work @Berek..and others I assume.

Stundorn, Fionwyn Wyldemane and Berek like this.
  3. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

There's so much that goes on in this forum that it's hard to make any sweeping generalizations.

I have seen some threads get pre-emptively locked. I had one of my own locked in this manner, which was kind of frustrating.

However at the end of the day, I think that pre-emptive locking came AFTER forum users (in general) demonstrated time and again that they were unwilling or incapable of being civil to one another.

There are also a few posters who *literally* have been making the same complaint over and over again since at least as long as I've been here (R30).

It might seem harsh to a newer member who may not be aware that the locked thread they were reading was the 1000th iteration of the same discussion had before by the same people saying the same things.

I understand from one perspective... Why should it matter if people want to repeat themselves 1000 times? However from another perspective, it can get quite spammy and disruptive.

Understand that some people insist on beating dead horses long after they have been repeatedly asked to stop.

This is a recurring theme within the SotA community... Some people are extremely disappointed that the game didn't meet their (oftentimes false) expectation. But instead of moving on to greener pastures, some people choose to stick around beating dead horses and disrupting the forum or even starting hate blogs and ranting on Reddit.

I don't play a ton of MMOs so I can't speak to how common this kind of behavior is in other online gaming communities. But in any case, to me the behavior is similar to a dude who can't let his ex-girlfriend go. He says he hates her and wants her out of his life, but the fact that he can't stop talking about her (even if negatively) suggests a different story. ;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Often times, from what I perceive is that the phrase "beating a dead horse" is the wrong phrase. There are many unanswered questions that people have that remain unanswered and so people keep asking them. Not all of us have the time to watch the hangouts or the telethons, or scour through them looking for tidbits of information. I used to do that. I used to find out answers for people from hangouts and telethons. Place them on the forums here as it was a direct quote from the devs then. What I got told after doing that is "please stop pasting clips from the hangouts, they are just us talking and really are not fact. Hence the term DNLMB." (paraphrased) So I am confused when told to go back and watch these things because everything is subject to change. Maybe I will go back to try to find where we where told this. Anyways we all have our reasons for posting, but It all comes from passion and what we individually need to be answered. Others might not understand the reason why but thats ok. It is not there job to play the part of gatekeeper for questions, that would be portalariums job.

5. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

Heh, I think there is a lot of dead horse abuse because this is an early access/crowd funded and one the selling point of early access/crowd funded games is that the games are developed with the community's "involvement". I think that's why people choose to speak about their issues in the forums instead of moving along.

The usual complaints in other MMOs mostly stem from balance issues. Because those are the issues the players can influence. It's rare to see constant requests for sweeping changes in released MMOs.

So it's the potential to influence change\direction that keeps the dude talking to and about his weak-willed and easily influenced ex-girlfriend. :D

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I wonder where those sota backers are today? That is a misnomer also by claiming they where all hate and rant. You are trying to discredit and marginalize pvp here. Sure there where some passionate people but there was also intelligent conversations and high hopes back then. It does a disservice to the community to belittle people and topics. I wish we had an ounce of that passion for pvp here today.

7. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

nah you misunderstand me. I was one of the ragey ones (full loot, forced pvp for everyone/split servers etc, got moderated probably 60 times in 1 thread...) and no they weren't all rage for sure but my point was more that it's a lot more civil nowadays and that's probably due to "heavy moderation" I'm thankful for the moderator's

hope that cleared it up

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I do agree moderation is better now. I think that is part of it. The other part is most of the pvp people are nolonger around so there is just less to moderate.

9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

You get out of here with your blasphemy!

I said basically exactly this. Vallo + Avery were 90% of the forum-vocal PVP crowd still pushing to hold them to a high standard of having real PVP.
    Its annoying because i have less and less desire to keep pushing the dev's to deliver on the stuff some other more vocal people, deem not important.

Im a little more upset reading Duke Avery's comments on Reddit about how he left, and his response about not even wanting to play an ALT anymore. I was really hoping he would keep pushing for the good stuff with an alt.

But i agree with ravicus.. i think the people that arnt satisfied (whether they express this productively or rudely ) are mostly gone atm. And i dont think theres enough of a new influx of players like the original pledgers, who are willing to put the time and fight the good fight, to make up for the vocal and harsh groups that are leaving.

oh well.

Oh , and im assuming those posts meet the definition of *negative criticism * that is productive? wheres my gold.

10. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

EvE Online. Next argument please.

Besides number of non PVP sandboxes that failed is by far higher ;)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  11. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

EvE Online IS NOT FULL LOOT OPEN WORLD PVP. The majority of EVE players live in HiSEC. Show me proof countering.

EVE is a wonderful game with a highly competitive, toxic, evil subset in NullSec that is vastly different from the player population here. Most SOTA PVPers wouldn't last a week in EVE nullsec.

Stundorn likes this.
  12. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Well then I would like to know what open FFA pvp sandbox you mean as they all had a highsec ;) stop trolling. And even in EvE's high sec you get ganked. You clearly have no clue what you are talking about here. Educate yourself on those games first please. Still there are more titles that failed that were solely PVE.

A game failing is mainly the devs fault or the publishers or a combination of the two.

13. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

EVE NullSec meets the definition of open world, FFA PVP. The majority of EVE lives in HiSEC. Estimates of full time NullSec are at 10% while 90% primarily live in HiSEC. I lived in NullSec with a major organization for five years. Ran an industrial operation owned Super Caps and ranked on leaderboards. EVE PVP was actually pretty boring because we had a handful of powerful groups controlling everything. Most of our PVP would be gank trips catching unsuspecting miners. High skill indeed. I quit because the demands of NullSec FFA PVP were too great on having a real life. I made the right decision. Success in RL much more rewarding than ganking some defenseless miners for the LOLs.

Show me where SOTA was ever promoted as a FFA PVP environment.

As I said, criticize using facts, not lies and insults.

Cordelayne and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  14. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

You don't state facts. FFA sandboxes are very successful.. Like EVE. You can PVP everywhere with consequences. You started insulting because I slaughtered your argument with facts.
    No one said SotA promoted that so stop straw manning. You lost the argument already.

From my observation success in RL translates almost everytime to the MMO world. As most of the time the same skillsets are needed. But that's just my opinion. But since you don't like me read some studies on the cognitive results powergamers and professional gamers had in assessment center tests.

15. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

You have the last word. We can't have a valid discussion if we can't even agree on the facts. The only way to win this battle is not to participate. Time will decide who is right and wrong.

In all my years of playing MMOs the "greats" leave and some leave loudly trying to mess everything up as they depart. The signs of a dying MMO are not in SOTA currently. The game needs a lot of work. Work is being done. Stay or leave but do it with maturity.

16. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

I never played it until for a couple of months after persistence and left quietly. Just saw the **** that's going on here on my FB feed and yes your community is being laughed at I am afraid.

I sincerely wish the game a lot of success in the long run. EvE had it's troubles as well and turned out fine.. with new Devs.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  17. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Been creating and running forums since back in the BBS days so I had to think on this one based on many games over the years so here goes my attempt at being constructive in the in the constructive criticism dept..

(( If the game is perceived to me monopolized by any guilds, guild, or individuals with the blessings of the port team, what will be the main player base will only be the uniformed or misdirected. ))

There goes more grey matter i cant afford to lose. 8 )

Xandra7, Greyfox and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  18. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

You make a very valid point. My counter is how can you have an open development community involved game without picking "favorites" in the community? My perception dictates if you have a thought the Developers are willing to listen. If you create content the Developers are willing to incorporate the content if value is added. The path for becoming a favorite is known. Walk the path, and seek the rewards. Please don't hate on those who proceeded you.

We had several perceived favorites leave the game outright. I'd like to avoid naming names. If being a favorite is such a rewarding experience, why did they leave?

Yes I do feel, especially with rewards such as ONBE, some in the community receive more accolades than they should. Yet what is provided to the community, in my opinion, far outweighs the negatives of the favoritism. Community involvement is much better than a closed restricted development process, like Chronicles of Elyria.

19. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Point is the game can not evolve into a if you do not have the $ to compete you will forever be playing second fiddle. Not a good enticement for those that lack the funds to compete. The competition can not be who has the most money wins.
    I see a lot of penalties to not being able to buy in you might say. POTs , vendors ect ect.
    I can work around all that but I am sure there are a lot that just will not bother.

Xandra7 and Greyfox like this.
  20. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Another very valid point. SOTA like every MMO determines the "winner" primarily upon two variables, Time(T) or Money(M). The more T or M you spend in these games determines how much you receive in return more so than any other variable.

For anecdotal evidence I personally know people who have grinding gold and resources. Through in game trade, lotteries, outside sales, they been able to purchase everything from taxable deeds to full POTs with their in game earnings. I know of no other game that has enabled someone coming in with a basic $45 account, spend not a penny more, and get end game content to the extent SOTA has enabled some.

So either spend the T or M, but the opportunity most certainly exists. We also have a community, myself included, who is VERY willing to give you guidance on how.

PM me in game if you wish to discuss in detail. I'd love to help you become another SOTA Success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.