Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Torches

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Torches
    Magic Light Spell
    Night Vision (coming soon)

There's no reason for any of them since the darkness got turned back down several releases ago. I know, I know, some of you still think it's too dark. And maybe it is on your computer.

But the problem we're having right now is that we have all these light sources (don't forget about pledge cloaks!) and no real reason to use them. Furthermore, why would anyone NOT spend the 1 skill point to get Night Vision? Half the populace spends 1 skill point right now just for the light spell!

I think the solution is to stop making darkness "dark", and start making it "hide" special items, resources, secret passages, people, and anything else that might be important. That way, these light sources have meaning without making everyone's PC screen go black.

Heradite likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Me... I use torches or just walk around in the dark. I don't want to expend the skill point on that.

3. smack

smack Avatar

Variety. Not everyone wants to hold a torch or sacrifice a shield slot to do so. Not everyone wants the nuclear ball of eyehurt. And unknown what benefits Night Vision will provide -- we're only guessing it increases ambient light everywhere vs. being a point light or maybe its infrared. Who knows.

Yes, I agree with that statement. In addition to simply helping us find our way, I would like to see it used as gameplay elements in quests, adventure zones, etc. Beyond just a light source, how does it effect the gameplay?

Yep, tons of threads on ideas like this! How about lighting up hidden words on cave walls or text on a scroll that can only be seen with night vision, etc.

4. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I wouldn't. 58% Fizzle Chance for night vision vs. 0% Fizzle Chance for light spell? With a full plate armor, the light spell is the obvious choice. No torches because I need that slot for my shield.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.