Trolls

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oremanger, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

a lot of it started shortly after it was opened to the steam incursion, once they started finding the forums.. i'm jsut glad i started here and in-game first. met a lot of awesome people this way.

i took it as a parallel to the conversion from most games going from closed alpha to open beta. - same thing happens, and it drives away most of the focused testers.

Oremanger likes this.
  2. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Joviex: Hi, my name is Joviex.

Room: <in unison> Hi Joviex.

Joviex: I am here today because I feel that sometimes my intentions are washed out by all the codex thumpers out there.

Room: <muttered ayes and affirmative nods>

Joviex: I just want to understand why people would truly think backers like me, who have pledged not only money, but time, time to post, time to test, time to write code and make assets, to a project, would go out of their way to sabotage that same project. It makes no sense.

Room: <louder affirmative agreements>

Joviex: Does not the world created by R.G., do not the lessons imparted to me through his, sometimes purposefully murky and ambiguous moral choices, also apply to me? Do I not get a voice in the chorus? Even if discordant?

Room: <shouts of go on brother, and preach ring out>

Joviex: Was it not the great Eru Ilúvatar who said, "Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor; but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Ilúvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, that ye may see what ye have done. And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined."

Room: <silence>

Joviex: Oh right, wrong support group.

3. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

It opened up the forums to a much wider community - some who are, some who aren't, Garriot fans. When people aren't fans of a particular developer or personality, and they say they don't like something, they tend to be brushed aside and called a troll.

But if someone is a fan, they aren't likely to dislike something because they trust the developer. If they don't like something, they've already got a foot in the door and criticism taken more seriously in some cases.

4. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Right?!

The fan moderators have been elevated to saint status, because they are always fair and balanced in all instances. :D

(sarcasm, people, just kidding!) :D

Lord Lonn and Joviex like this.
  5. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i can certainly see that favoritism of that particular brand can take place here - i just haven't seen that so far.

what i HAVE seen, since the "much wider community" has come into play here, is a whole lot less respect of other peoples opinions, and more aggressive techniques by those with much much lower post counts (and names that i do not remember seeing before), to try and bend people to their opinions, and entire posts simply dripping with sarcasm. i've had to actually report several people for it, and NONE of those people were around before the 'much wider community' were introduced.

in fact, i've seen LESS of the older community that were very interested in helping make the game better when it went live. almost like they went into hiding from it, or were pushed away due to this.

in my experience as QA for well, durned near anything i could over the years, it is because the new breed was introduced and they just aren't interested in testing...they're interested in free play and expect nothing less than a complete game - usually that particular breed wants to live in the world, play in the world, and expected to not see certain things in or not in the game and just want to gripe without offering possible constructive feedback that coudl include a reccomendation for resolution....just claiming "it be broked"

6. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I can't say why this is for sure, but I've also noticed a huge drop in community since I started posting here a year ago. Some have moved on, some sold their accounts, some got busy with life. But I don't know if I'd believe people left due to trolls. Most of the older posters usually chase trolls off, rather than vice versa. I'd say if it were true that trolls were chasing out people, the team has left the ship.

So that's the only reason I think it's probably not old timers pushed away by trolls. :D

7. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

certainly hope it isn't the case.

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Some people just decide they don't like a game and rather than moving on... begin a campaign to badmouth the project and upset its supporters. Also its a global community and there is a large variation from country to country on what behaviour is frowned upon. For example disagreements between Australians and Canadians are so polite when compared to disagreements between Americans and Brits it is almost comical.

9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

while i've seen this in person, many have not. is there any way you can provide video proof of this?

Joviex and Tahru like this.
  10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

You could be right

Themo Lock and ThurisazSheol like this.
  11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I do not have a good example on hand sorry XD

Keira OFaolain and ThurisazSheol like this.
  12. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

trolls on this forum. yea thier might be. but those of us that played uo can probably admit these trolls are so far below those trolls in skills u would have to say its pathethic in comparaison.

i might add credit to the moderators and i belive their keeping the ugly out of sight. dont see much anywhere. a few temper tantrums here and their that ran amuck but no real mmm what would u call it. out right flaming and calling out of players.

now mind you i belive when the game goes live a few here might get called out like E cough N cough V cough Y
    lol love ya man but i have a distinct feeling u will get the first honers.
    the sad thing is no matter how many times we tell those trolls seeing that is like getting candy they still do it

Caliya, Ariella and Keira OFaolain like this.
  13. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

Or maybe, just MAYBE, they actually have some points that they want to get across and "fanboys" of LB or the game may take offense to it naturally. But it doesn't mean that they are trolling OR want the game to fail. There maybe, just maybe again, some truth to their points, but some people may just be too blind to see it.

Parallaxe, Joviex, Caliya and 2 others like this.
  14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The fact that you tried to apply that comment (which was intended to diffuse anger) to yourself and refuel the ongoing argument (which over the past 24 hours turned quite nasty) is an excellent example of what people in this thread are talking about.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  15. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

Or is it the fact that again, if some people are just too "diehard" of a fan for something or someone, that anything AGAINST their beliefs would equate to an attack on them personally? And as such, since they are taking it so personally, they only see what they want to see. This rudeness or lack of respect you say is here, has been exactly the same as it was a year ago. A simple check on the forums from past threads will prove it so. It only took me a few minutes of my time.

Also, are you saying that it's ONLY the "low-count" posters that are making trouble? So pretty much ANYONE 362 posts (your count when I replied to this), is a troll? Or not worth the time of the developers or the community? They, the ones that have pledged alongside you for a game they want to become a reality, are not worth a grain of salt just because of some number under their Avatar's picture?

16. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

And there we go. The fact that as soon as I posted once again on this thread, the instant I did, my post is trolled upon. (Proves without I doubt everything I've said). I left the conversation and it carried on without me, because it was never about me. It was about this community. And the very fact that you tried to instigate someone (me in this case) as someone trying to "refuel an ongoing argument" (which, if it's still ongoing, it does not need to be refueled), makes you the biggest troll on this thread.

No one knows what it going on in my head. No one has any idea what I may or may not be thinking. If someone takes something I wrote out of context, that's not my fault. However, you or anyone else should not ever accuse someone of doing something when all the facts are not laid out.

Joviex likes this.
  17. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

I am glad you learned something!

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

43 of your 169 posts are in the the two troll threads so no, it is not out of context. I can't even find a post you made that is not argumentative and/or counter productive. Even replying to you now is me taking the troll bait so i will stop heh.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  19. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

So, because two different supporters had differing views than yours, it's considered to be a TROLL POST?

Are you not getting what I and others are trying to say? This is not healthy if you think it's okay for you to not consider their words, just because they have a "low-post count".

20. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Hmmm, while I noticed he had some counter-views, I did not view hardly any of them in the way you do. I do not perceive trolling.

Counting someone's posts, or the ones someone considers trolling, might indicate picking on someone though - and trolling them.

Joviex and XcomVic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.