Trolls

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oremanger, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

I am going to stand up for what's right. I will ensure that everyone get's their say. If it costs me my forum rights, then so be it. The truth will be known. Everyone deserves a fair chance.

Just because someone is new to the forums, does NOT mean you can bully them off them.

Joviex likes this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Its not the number of posts, it's how they were used. But as i already said, peoples opinions on behaivor vary so each to their own.

3. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

A Forum is only one source in many to give a opinion.

- You can directly give a suggestion with PM.

You can blog about it.
    You can create a Video
    You can make a podcast.

There is never a neutral!

This is A silly baby dream.
    And this forum is not neutral like nothing is.

Of course the Developers have favorite backers.
    Of course the Moderators have favorite forum members and some they do hate.

And then money talks!

I will be forced to listen to a backer who invested 15000 Dollars more then to someone who did not pay nothing.

All what we have is a promise that they try to be neutral.

But i myself would listen more to a player who visits me at a convention, creates Feedback, tests my game, does hangouts, throws high amount of money to my project and saves me community work time then someone who did almost none of that.

Sounds wrong but we are humans.

Neutrality is for the Neutrality Minded.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

smack, Joviex, KuBaTRiZeS and 4 others like this.
  4. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Agreed with all these things. Problem is, when there's favoritism and allowing certain big backers stay and spray vitriol on others, it estranges people who may have upped their pledges. It surely has made me back off from wanting to pledge more. That and the housing strategy.

5. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

But in regards to my above Statement i think they still do a very good Job listening to all of us and taking all opinions as good as possible important.

The constructive Feedback is still the best way to go.

smack, Caliya, Joviex and 3 others like this.
  6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

agreed. best not feed 'em. but i can't help it this one last time....*chuckle*

this will be my last response to the likes of you, sir:

i login and see five posts, all of them argumentative, even on the same thread, within 2 minutes of starting to read. nitpicking and trying to spread discord..not even chaos (*scoff* geeze!)..

i went to google and typed "define troll" - here's the response.
    *plonk* you are off my radar entirely now. back to being constructive.

can't agree more with that. that has always been my viewpoint.

KuBaTRiZeS and Tahru like this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Not the feeling I get at all.

Back when I became active in September I could easily keep up with all forum topics on an ordinary day.
    That is no longer the case - instead I have to accept that I will skip lots of things just by its header.

In the posts I do read I still see about the same posters that I've seen regularly and which by their post count you can see they have been doing it for a long time.

So I simply deduce that it isn't that the regulars have moved on, instead its simply that they have been diluted with new folks, which is a good thing. Hopefully lots of the new folks will be regulars over time.

As to the nature of things in forums, new folks will stir things up a bit. That is also a good thing.
    The regulars have already hashed out some of these things over and over again. But to the new folks it is as new as it can be.
    They look and report and post with a view not tainted by SotA experience yet.

Then also note that we have not only been diluted here but we have also been divided. Since there are now two different "official" forums. One here, and one over on Steam. The dev team and DarkStarr in particular has requested that people help out in the Steam forums because they are even more 'public' than these for those who has not purchased yet.

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I've always appreciated your detailed and constructive approach when doing feedback.
    Like the loading screen a while ago, or, the female avatar default, etc.
    *tips hat*

I have also noted that you have a much higher hit rate to actually getting devs to address what you post about.
    I think that this is a direct result of your constructive approach.
    You not only say that this could be better - you also analyze HOW it could be better - and you take the time to show it in pictures.

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am not interested in the trying to keep up with another forum. I'll just troll here. :oops:

10. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Troll is the new Witch. If you say i'm trolling then you're trolling me... I honestly prefer being banned than being burned :p

Spoon and Tahru like this.
  11. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

Depends on the type of burn and where it is located at I would imagine.

If it's a simple, "Oh sick burn!", I'll take that.
    If it's "BURN THEM AT THE STAKE!", I'm good.
    If it's any other kind of burning sensation on my body, I'll pass on that also.

Tahru and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  12. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

What I don't get is why you have been so combative and against me since I started posting on here (Which is actually trolling me, the thing you are so against supposedly). You have been personally attacking me, especially on this thread. I haven't done any such thing to you. So what exactly is your issue? All I have done is point out some simple issues that I've seen occur since my short time here about the community. (It's not the only thing I post about, but I am most passionate about a fair and equal community in any game I play)

Just like above, you seem to have it out for me, while I haven't done any such thing to you. Your only "excuse" is that because I am a "low-count poster", that I am a troll. That I spent a lot of time in the "troll threads". Do you know why that is? Because not even a few days into posting on the forums, I was reported by various individuals because my views did NOT align with theirs. I mean really? Just because I am a new guy to the forums, does not mean that people can try to bully me off the forums because I am not in agreement with them.

This is NOT healthy for the community, especially for the game that is STILL trying to make more money off of new players. If you continue to act in such a manner that puts off new players from even pledging the lowest tier, you are ensuring that Port makes less money. If you continue to disregard the concerns of the newer players who have pledged, you will ensure that they NOT upgrade their pledge (like me and Caliya), I am not sure what she was going to upgrade to, but I at least wanted to go to Citizen for that Vendor.

And if she wanted to go more, that's more than $1000.00 lost to the devs now. At the very least. And the amount of money will continue to be lost if the attitude of community is that:

a) Low-count posters are potential trolls.
    b) Low-count posters don't have any worth in their say.
    c) Lower tier pledges don't have as much say as higher tier ones.
    d) Low-count posters are to be trolled themselves and then pushed off the forums so that their voice will never be heard.

Now, I know for a fact that not everyone is like this, but even if just a few succeed in deterring away potential pledges or upgrades, then shame on everyone for not stepping up for the "little guys/gals" because you are just as bad as the forum bullies.

Joviex likes this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Hi @XcomVic,

OK, take a deep breath, maybe a small walk. Because this is probably going to sound harsh to you.

Please go through my posts and you might notice that I like helping folks out. So even though this might seem like a personal attack or something you wish to take offense at, the intent is the opposite. If this had been IRL I would have taken you out for a walk.

Now, I'm going to ignore the rest of the back and forth you are getting into and only focus on the bit I quoted above - so for this bit between you and me, ignore the other parts of the conversations.
    OK?
    Now another deep breath.
    Ready?

What you wrote above is not a good position to hold. For your own sake and your outlook on life, please consider and reconsider the implications of what you are trying to advocate.

You are saying that "no one knows what is going on in your head", "no one has any idea what you are thinking", then you follow that up with "if someone takes something I wrote out of context, that's not my fault".
    This is a detrimental position to hold in any human interaction, regardless of how it takes place.

All human relations and interaction relies on our brains making assumptions on the other participants dependent on the information we are given. From that information we form opinions and prejudice on what type of message or interaction we are given and what options we have. Then our brains react and we respond. Sometimes we get it wrong, but usually we get it right.

But if you feel that people consistently misunderstand you, or you feel that people consistently attack views that you yourself don't think you hold. Then I'm sorry to say, but then holding the position "it's not my fault that people don't understand me" isn't helping.
    You see they base their responses on the information that you have supplied them with, nothing more nothing less.
    If that information that you have given people consistently result in what you feel are attacks, then you better think about how you say or write things.

Since it is very hard to see things clearly when it comes to our own conversations I will give you another example from this forum.
    A very prominent player with lots of post count (so nothing to do with being new at all) who posts lots of great stuff and is very passionate about making this game great, but who also have the tendency to post contentious stuff from time to time, posted this:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/taxes-why-all-pots-will-have-them.16646/
    The result wasn't really a fun cozy feeling between the participants of that conversation.
    I said something similar to what I'm telling you now, to him back then:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-pots-will-have-them.16646/page-8#post-268054
    So with a cool head read his opening post and reflect on why so many responded badly to what he was saying.

Then here is the really difficult part - and I know it is not my place to ask this, but, think about why it is that posters who normally are not aggressive at all respond badly to some of your posts.
    Since it is certainly not WHAT you are saying, because most of it has been said before with no such adverse reaction.
    HOW is much more important.

For instance, I've been moderated a lot, most of it when I was new. I come from a forum culture where swearing was a given, personal insults allowed and much hotter topics than this was debated.
    Now for each time I got moderated, I said a polite thank you to the mod who did it, because I know that that is a volunteer giving of their own time to perform that service to these forums.
    But never once did I complain about such moderation, even when I thought I was in the right, nor did I take it to the forums accusing the mods for bias against my opinions or my person or my strata.

Instead I've slowly adapted during the three months I've been here and adjusted to this forum's culture and now I have not been moderated for a good two weeks. (Knock knock). Which is progress for someone with my background.

If someone like me could, then I am certain that you can do the same.

14. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

consider me baited.... ill try to repost to this so maybe others will leave it alone.

No most of us dont consider low posters trolls. however when a thier is a troll it tends to have low posts. by no means am i saying your a troll. it was a comment based on statistics.

i have a low post count. i have jumped in on what we might call sensitive issues on both sides. but like i tell my kids its not what u say sometimes its how u say it. granted reading something people tend to misread tone but alot of times people on threads say things in a confertational manner which stirs the pot some more. we all have walked away from a conversation that was getting ugly only to find ourselves reposting on it cause we felt the need to defend our point or even our selves.

i truly have not seen low teir pledges treated differantly than higher teir pledges. it may seem that at an initial glance. however when a person makes a personal releationship with another human being it tends to hold more weight than hearing it from a stranger. that is life. some of those so called higher teired pledges have been here for a while. they have spoken directly to developers. they in a way have made a releationship with them therfore might get a higher level of attention. i also have seen some higher level donaters that dont get special attention cause guess what their new to the game and i have seen a couple of very lowe level tier pledges with very high lvl of attention. i think this has to to more with familuarity between dev and player than teir level pledge in its self.

another thing to pay attention to when one finds a problem in the game that one dosnt like more likey than not some one else likes it this way so you will always find opisition to change.

so one must clearly state the problem why they think its a problem. their lies the problem with most they respond with emotionaly charged reasons for one way or the other. when u do that u take away from your argument and leave you wide open for comments. this is an incomplete game. it favors pvm/pve guess what that wont change. some of us strive very hard to reconize problems report the problems and possible solution to problems. by providing possible solution to a problem other ideas may be generated from the outlying conversation.

these forums are not a end around where certain players can play god and control the game. these forums are for assisting developers develope the game in a way where more ideas can become reality. im sorry everyone of us here play this game slightly differant and would love to skew the game in their favor. the developers have to weigh what we see cause were the ones with countless hours playing the game. not saying they dont play the game but their time is devoted to creating the game and using our feedback to see what worked what didnt.

with higher levl teirs you do get more access to the developers. that dosnt make your thinking any better than one with less teirs. if your ideas are sound you will get more face to face time. if they are not sound your ability to comunicate with them will not be lessoned it just wont hold as much weight. that goes with new players in the game. no one is saying new players have not played long enough to have a voice. the opsite is quite true with these forums. however a new player may not know this is temporary or this change is in place allready or might even have doubts on where this game is going cause they have not seen the telethon not talked to the developers or L/B or D/S.
    that is where we are hurting the access to what we know that is finite isnt either labeled to found easy or new players get got up on superfical dreams that vetrans know wont happen but its still fun to argue the merits out on.

i spent 3 weeks watching the forum boards before posting. i got involved cause i belive in this project. in a way your right thier are bullies i dont belive its rampant. their are people here that defend people when they belive they were bullied. i have seen people cry wolf that thier being bullied cause they started a flame war. in other words this game is being tested from people around the world. with differant cultures and differant thoughts of what is sociable acceptable to say or do. in the end were all sota players. this is a community many of us will call home for years to come. i truly belive that many people act badly more out of instinct cause this has become home and a family. no offense to anyone u come to my house and act badly or hurt my family i will lash back. the same applies here. this is a family not just a comunity we will fight each other toth and nail but in the end we are still family

15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Good point! I cannot even tell what my wife thinks half the time and I can see her face and hear her voice. So unless Bill Murray is your avatar, I wont know if you are joking unless you use emotes. :p

Lord Baldrith, Spoon and Themo Lock like this.
  16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Budner could insult me all day and i couldn't stay mad at him due to that avatar pic.

17. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

I enjoyed reading your post. And while I agree that whatever is presented is all that someone can base or form an opinion on, it still does not give anyone the right to accuse someone of doing something without being 100% correct in the assumption, and to do that, they need some hardcore proof of it. In my head, I am relating it to a murder mystery. You have all these "clues", but some can be meaningless, or some can just throw you off track, not until you have all the pieces of the puzzle, can you without a doubt make a conclusion to who actually killed someone.

Now, to forums... you can only express so much via words. And often times people will take something they read out of context...just like Richard Garriott, aka Lord British in the following:

http://www.pcgamer.com/richard-garriott-game-designers-suck/

and his response:

http://www.pcgamer.com/editorial-an-interview-and-its-aftermath/

So are you telling me that it's his fault?

Joviex likes this.
  18. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

<---- I have a Monkey as my Avatar. #trumped

19. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

*, my Monkey doesn't make you laugh, not even giggle a little? :(

*edited for language - Koldar

Themo Lock likes this.
  20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Once last time in hopes of getting through.
    ^ that was my post that originally set you off complaining that i was picking on you and claiming i bully people with low post counts. It wasn't directed at you and if you look at your ratio it doesn't even apply to you. Your never ending complaint about me doing so and the fact that you have been moderated combined with the fact that you seem to view this entire thread as a personal attack directed at you is what eventually irritated me.

EDIT: actually i do like your monkey avatar :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.