Tutorial text vs. narrative text

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by redfish, Nov 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

This is a suggestion I've been meaning to make for a while...

Originally, any on-screen messages to the player from the game were done in what I gather is the PS22 Morris Troy font, the same font that's used to show your location under the compass. At some time, this was changed to a sans serif font.

My guess is this was done because the sans serif is more readable, especially in large chunks of text. Its also unnecessarily distracting to get a tutorial telling you how to use the UI in a Medieval - style font.

However, at the same time, I've found the sans serif font equally a bad choice when the point of the text on your screen is to draw you into the game narrative or give you other information that has storytelling character, whether its telling you that you "sense a great threat approaching" or even just showing the name of the map you're moving into when you move off the edge of the screen. Its sort of like if you printed a novel in a font used by a technical manual.

I would suggest logically separating different types of on-screen messages into two types: tutorial messages, and narrative messages. The tutorial messages would be in the sans serif font, and the narrative messages in the PS22 Morris Troy. I think this would end up making the game look and feel better to players.

majoria70 and Anpu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.