Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

UI Lag needs to be addressed !

Discussion in 'Release 43 Feedback Forum' started by Aeso Wondah, Jun 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aeso Wondah

Aeso Wondah Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-items-are-being-unvoluntarily-deleted.93416/

Enough is enough.

- see my post

This is seriously such garbage. I am SO careful when deleting stuff because I know how horrible the UI lag is. I have suffered at the hand of it many times listing items on my vendors missing a zero here or there and losing big time - I have put up with that because I should have double/triple checked before walking away. This is such bullshit though - I watched an un-highlighted item get deleted in front of my eyes. I double checked it was not highlighted as it was right beside the items I was removing. Have you ever right clicked on someone's name to send them a whisper sent your message and realized it went to someone completely different? Thanks UI Lag - similar thing here. I am guess the fix is to sit there and not move your mouse for 3 seconds before initiating a "click" or you may accidentally delete your whole inventory. Now I would let this go, but WHO KNOWS how many items have been deleted from my inventory without me knowing because of this issue. I am not poor by any means, and losing 1 artifact does not ruin my day, but having ZERO FAITH now that my items are safe from the massive UI and lag issues sours me completely. There are things in this game that cost A LOT of money, I am frustrated already that they take account security SO LIGHTLY considering the amount of $$$ some of our accounts are worth - how hard is it to integrate a google authenticator?? Now I am worried that the game it'self has the tendency to destroy items unwillingly. Feeling less safe by the day ...

Solazur likes this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I come bearing good news. Mission accomplished! So much better as of today with the promise to be twice as good by release. There is also account security in this post which Steam has addressed on its own for all games. If Steam is not your choice, it is something to consider that the expense of security is very high, more than all the games you have ever or will ever pay for in a lifetime combined, it may be that expectations need to be adjusted in that case.

3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think the biggest cause of what you are calling "UI lag" is that events are only checked once per frame, and most of the game does not tie together events with mouse position or modifier key status or even event time. So you click on something to drag it, and a a few hundred milliseconds later it starts to handle the event, immediately calling getmouse() or equivalent, which reads the cursor position after you've already been dragging as where you clicked.

Or you hit shift-1 to use the first item on your utility bar, and by the time it processes it, it reads the modifier keys, but you've already released the shift key. This is basically stuff that was a new concept back in 1984 when the original Macintosh came out. (events would come bundled with modifier keys, event time with ~20ms resolution, and the mouse position at the time of the event).

So it's really two problems, not tying events together with mouse position and modifier keys, and only checking for events once per frame, which sucks to be you if you're getting 10fps. The latter makes the former much worse, and it is also why double-clicks are almost impossible below 10fps, because it's comparing the times when it saw the clicks, not when you made them. They would have to re-architect much of the event handling (some of which may be internal to Unity) to fix it, probably into a thread of its own. There really are much more important things to fix first, but I would love to see this fixed.

Aeso Wondah likes this.
  4. null2

null2 Avatar

I have run into HUGE issues with dragging items when I have the client open for a long time.

Here is a video I made last night where it takes 13 seconds of frozen UI to change decks

Solazur, Salix and Aeso Wondah like this.
  5. Aeso Wondah

Aeso Wondah Avatar

I am happy to learn I am not crazy !

Yet I continuously get kicked harder and harder by this game. I had more items "disappear" on me today. A completely different situation from last. I am so worried I have lost so much stuff now throughout the course of my play time.

I will not make another ranting post, as I am just so deflated at this point. I put a lot of time and effort and have spent so much money on this game, and now I am worried it's all going to disappear.

I am aware this post eludes you from the details, I will be dealing directly with support over this one, and it could be the last issue I can withstand.

Cheers

6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

When the client is open for a long time (as in fully quitting it, not just logging out), there are memory leaks that continue to accumulate. Eventually when memory gets fragmented with a bunch of leaked junk, (my hypothesis) the memory allocation and clean-up (garbage collection) takes longer and longer, and this is a major cause of hitching.

Items disappearing is usually one of two things. Either you're doing deco and it gets stuck under something (once I had a rug that got placed on the next floor up when I lost it; I found it a few days later), or there is a comms synchronization error, and the client lost track of it. The latter is often associated with inventory items staying red. Lost deco sometimes requires you to pull the house and get everything out of the bank, and lost sync items often show up again eventually.

Also beware of using the right-click item delete command. Oftentimes an item will be selected that you don't notice in your inventory because it is off the bottom of the window. The "are you sure" dialog isn't much help when it doesn't itemize everything that is about to be deleted. Always at least click on an un-selected item first. (And at some point they added a "## items selected" to the list.)

7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I hate to have to even ask, but is SotA using a hardware or software cursor through Unity? It seems like a hardware as I don't notice the cursor lock up, but i wouldn't think the double clicking issue would exist if it was; wouldn't the game just receive two OS event notifications and compare the timestamps?

Unity does allow both, since version 4. https://blogs.unity3d.com/2012/10/22/cursor-api/

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm sorry you are having this issue. I have not experienced selling many items I didn't plan to sell either but I am super careful. I carefully highlight the first item i want to sell then hold shift key down and click on last item in the group and drag them all. We are still missing lots of ui we need. Already Reguested is make an item un-sellable by right clicking it.

So deal with support of course if you sell something that is a big deal and join us in rallying for things still needed and Still missing in this game in Development. You make some great points in the op.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.