Underground Player Owned Towns

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Sold and gone, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

I don't have a well formed idea of what an underground biome should look like, but would like to toss in the following thoughts:
    - Lavafall (like a waterfall, but with lava).
    - Similarly, lava lake.
    - Just because the towns above are laid out on a two dimensional surface, doesn't mean that underground towns have to follow suit. Verticality can be fun. Imagine a huge central cavern surrounded by smaller caves set into the walls of the central cavern, linked by paths that wind their way around the walls of the cavern, occasionally branching into tunnels through the rock, and web-like rocky paths crossing from one side to the other. The central cavern could feature a lake, waterfall (or lavafall), and viewing ledges. I am not an artist, but geometrically the arrangement might be something like:
    [​IMG]
    (but of course unlike me a 3D artist with actual talent wouldn't just throw together a bunch of spheres :) ).
    - A cave mouth doesn't have to be at ground level. A second cave mouth could lead to a cliffside viewing platform with a magnificent view of the countryside.
    - Glowing crystals, moss, mushrooms, strange plants, etc.

2. Acred

Acred Avatar

My ideas for an underground POT are gradually developing - partly due to this thread. Thank you, Ravicus, and all you talented, creative folks.

I would like to put the volcano drawing on its head and have my Cavern be like a funnel - not with separate tunnels, but with plateaux as you travel downwards - spiralwise, so every sight and home can be visited. Top layers can be more 'ferny and mossy', lower levels steeper, with more rock formations and a water stream rushing down one side (helps to orientate those who get dizzy on spirals!) which could have a waterfall arching over the pathway.

At the bottom would be the lava 'river' and a steamy cloud to push through if you dare - finally - the Blessing statue rises out of this cloud of steam. If we are allowed an entrance (top) and an exit - then at the bottom of the funnel, just past our vendors and amenities, there could be a near-boiling geyser pool you need to jump into - if you are brave - will it spout you to the surface?

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I must admit: i still have problems to imagine an underground town.
    So it will be a cave....and there will be the normal houses in the cave....it has to be a damned big cave if you want to have a castle....
    Nah, what i am seeing in my "minds-eye" dosen't look convincing at all.

Edit:
    I am not talking about your layouts and artworks. They are all good, thats not my point.
    I mean i can't imagine the undergroundtowns overall.

4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

What I enjoy most about living above ground is experiencing the visual eye candy of the passage of time. The starry nights, the rising of the moon/sun, dawn, dusk, twilight, seeing the shadows gradually move as the noonday sun traverses the sky...

What could underground POTs offer as a replacement? Maybe periodic volcanic eruptions? Some kind of vegetation that changes with the phases of the moon?

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Exactly that's a part of my problem as well.

6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

That taps into a broader question of mine about how an underground biome exists in general. Food sources, living without light, different dangers, different materials. Or is it basically just a cave still dependent on the surface for all its needs?

One of the great things to do would be to follow the development of Underworld Ascendant and see how they design things. They are already mutually supportive efforts after all, that are supposed to tie together in some way.

7. Selene

Selene Avatar

I really like the idea of an underground town, and was toying with the idea of a druid grove gone underground since the cataclysm. Tall underground trees sustained by large blue crystal formations glowing from the roof, the glow reflected in a tranquil pool full of shimmering fish. Faint green glowing lunar moths dancing above fields of moss and large mushrooms. An entire enclosed ecosystem fueled by crystal power.

The thing that keeps me from settling on the idea is how agriculture will be handled. Without the sun, will underground towns be allowed to have agriculture? At least mushrooms and mosses? I'd hate to choose underground without knowing all the ramifications. Will underground cities need to be accessed through sewers and other dangerous areas that might keep lower level players from ever venturing there?

While I appreciate aesthetics, I am more interested in having a town that will function, and until Port gets back to us with a more concrete idea of underground biomes, I am reluctant to put the money down on having one.

8. stile

stile Avatar

Glowing worms, fungus, mushrooms.

9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Some great ideas and questions. Hopefully we know more soon. :)

Sir Stile Teckel and Atogrim like this.
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I worry a bit about claustrophobia if the vistas underground are very short. Will yards and views being compelling underground? It will be interesting to see how this works out.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

We know exactly 0 on what they will be like. Thats why I started this thread and have people post their ideas. Maybe the devs might consider some of them. Who knows? *shrugs*

SeleneNoctua, iansmellios and Atogrim like this.
  12. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

Ravicus,

I'm also wondering for an underground PoT if there would be the possibility of "stacking" it beneath a surface PoT, much like adding a basement under your house? Although this may not work for the volcano-based areas, it could solve some of the farming/ food source dilemmas, whereas an underground PoT Owner could partner with and live under a surface PoT and arrange a trade agreement of sorts for resources, as well as save space on the overland map.

This option also would add a number of RP opportunities, such as a "seedy underbelly" black market area, or a literal underground fight club... I mean, never mind - I'm not supposed to talk about that....

Just some thoughts. Humbly Yours,

- Root

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Pax Lair is doing exactly this, so, yes, it's entirely possible.

14. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

Oh, nice! I knew they were going to be connected, but had not heard they were planning on being stacked! Thanks for the update - good to know. :)

15. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

The underground was inhabited by our ancestors. Many thousands of civilizations rose and fell. What is left over from them is buried right under our feet. So an underground city could be an ancient city dug up and used for your purposes. So I guess what I am trying to get at is that one underground template should be ancients city and the walls of this underground city can be old broken stones with some old carvings or lettering that would fit that ancient civilization.

another underground city can be the inside of a giant obsidian crystal and the ground can have sprouts of these crystals. This would be perfect for a Dark Elf mage city.

Another cool city could be a catacombs city of the dead which I think would be PERFECT for Ravicus.

Lets see what else... How about an underground paradise with crystals that radiate light? It can be a single huge crystal sprouting in the middle of the city underground radiating light and your city is there using the crystal for light and simply dug around it for space or it was an anchient city and has some old walls/statues/structures still intact and some destroyed.

16. iansmellios

iansmellios Avatar

I would like to see something like Sótano de las Golondrinas(Cave of Swallows) in Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_of_Swallows

This is exactly what I had in mind with extra shafts running out in all directions to the housing or other areas, while maintaining a good height in those other areas.

I am no artist or else I would be working on a design :(

Here is a picture of inside.

[​IMG]

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Have you ever heard of the Carlsbad Caverns, in New Mexico? I remember going there in middle school and walking the paths down into it. At that time it was 83 stories deep. Google: Carlsbad Caverns Images
    There are paths that walk all the to the bottom, or at least discovered bottom at that time hehe.

Acred and iansmellios like this.
  18. iansmellios

iansmellios Avatar

*faints*
    That is beautiful! I love the entrance of it as well, seeing as how you don't have to be a skydiver to get down there haha

19. stile

stile Avatar

A lot of the things Id want to see in a cave setting we already are seeing in some of the caves in game, which im sure will translate over to the POT's. your traditional fantasy settings cave cannon.. large mushrooms, glowy things of various kinds, etc.

One thing that occurred to me in talking water falls. When talking about water falls I think we all thing of under ground rivers, and underground waterfalls. or waterfalls that come inside down a wall or something similar.

But what about water falls that come down into the middle of large ponds or a lake. Could even be ones without a lot of heavy water, but small sprays in multiple places. So there could be many spots you could go to and it would be like taking a shower.

Store add on idea.. hot tubs, that look like hot springs.

Jatvardur and iansmellios like this.
  20. Kit Kimberlin

Kit Kimberlin Avatar

Love it !

Jatvardur and iansmellios like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.