Uses for blank books

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Robby, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lock426

lock426 Avatar

If players are allowed to write and publish their own books then I'd like to to use my house as a library, or to assist anyone who is already planning to do the same.
    I would like to ask some advice from the players who did it in UO. How did you gather player written books? Was it mostly donations from players who knew about your library or did you go hunting for them yourselves?
    Was there any way for you to advertise you're library or did you just rely on word of mouth and people entering your home uninvited?
    How did you organize it? I envision having a sections like Game guides, fiction, books made by the game creators, maybe an adult section buried deep in the basement, and then alphabetically within sections if that doesn't prove to be too time consuming.

rild likes this.
  2. Maka

Maka Avatar

I was sort of hoping we could sell books or even just scrolls. That way any neat crafting recipes we figure out we could sell for gold. Not sure how it would work in reality but it would be fun.

Time Lord and rild like this.
  3. fan.of.devin

fan.of.devin Avatar

I love the idea of player authorship, both player and NPC run libraries, in-game notebooks/scribble pads, guestbooks for your house... Lots of neat possibilities.

rild likes this.
  4. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Starr dropped the tease in the chat the other day that Richard has been working on some ideas for books that are sure to excite us.

Lord Ao Soliwilos and rild like this.
  5. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    I will write romance novels of Liches and witches! I am still holding my breath for news of a inscription skill.

6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I know my guild uses them on a huge scale in UO for guild recruitment. Without the use of blank books, this wouldn't have been possible. I hope to see them included in SotA as they make the community much more immersive and realistic.

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Are those the ones placed 2 feet from each other all over the place in Luna?

8. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Interesting.. I will be looking forward to hearing more about that. I'm quite curious as to what he has in mind. :)

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

rild likes this.
  10. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Writable books? Yes please. I used them both in character and out of character. In character I used them as journal (quite useful when you IC-ly kill your character eventually and start a new one), message parchments, and even recruiting posters. Out of character I used them as game notes, quest log (sort of), and out of character messaging. And you know what? It was a whole world of fun. Even the "manual quest book" as I used to call it (UO was my first MMORPG so I was unaware that I should be using the word 'log' instead of 'book' ). Also I had the luck to read other people's stories this way, which were quite interesting. So I'd say a big Connery "YESH!" for writable books.

11. rild

rild Avatar

Great for leveling furniture

12. Robby

Robby Avatar

There can be books written about space aliens and stuff too. =O That might mess up the setting. Like customizable houses.

13. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Why? Does it mess up the setting here on Earth?
    Player's characters are from Earth you know.

14. Robby

Robby Avatar

They are? Wasnt that just a trend in ultima where the avatar came from modern day earth. err.. 80's to 90's erea earth?

15. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Yes it's one of the ethical dilemmas you face. Do you tell people about your origin knowing that they treat strangers from another world poorly and have contempt for them. :p

16. rild

rild Avatar

Scrapbook of screenshots

smack and Baron Avorin Swiftslay like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Very interesting Idea!

Time Lord likes this.
  18. smack

smack Avatar

I would love to have a secondary app that I can use out-of-game to read books from my Library. Better yet, allow me to create them as well so I can put it on display for others in-game, or put it on my vendor...perhaps also by a secondary app for vendor management.

rild and Baron Avorin Swiftslay like this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Just thought of a side not to that. Maybe with the app a guild master could access guild permissions from online to change guild settings, rules, let people in, kick people out and such.

Time Lord, smack and rild like this.
  20. TenoMeric

TenoMeric Avatar

In my shop and in many guilds written books were apart of what we used to convey information. (not Websites!) Also I remember in my travels visiting houses that had volumes of player made stories/information! If Immersion is the idea, then making any part of this game to easy should be abandoned! What most of us remember glory days of games being that of hard times with just rewards. Yes I said "just"!!! Not GREAT, not RARE, nor EPIC but just rewards for your time spent. I did sell a few books written by some well know players from Chesapeake shard.

rild likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.