Victorian aquariums, terrariums, etc.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by redfish, Mar 4, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Since we now have aquariums in the game, I thought I'd share some more ornate, antique designs for aquariums. I don't know if its possible to get them in game, though just thinking offhand probably some of the models for fountains can be broken down and reassembled to look like aquariums. Either way, I thought I'd post this for enjoyment of those who read the forums.

Aquariums, terrariums, insectariums, and the like were first created and popularized in the 19th century.

The aquarium was often designed as a showpiece, to be placed in a conservatory or parlor area,

[​IMG]

This octagonal design was very common, and here are some real examples,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the base is structured like a fountain, which is why I think the models for some of the fountains can be readapted.

It actually could be both an aquarium and a fountain at the same time, as such,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a "Celestian" version,

[​IMG]

Of course, you have a standard tank shape also used,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a bowl shape,

[​IMG]

Like mentioned, terriariums were also first created in the 19th century. The early version is called the Wardian case, after its inventor, Nathaniel Bagshaw Ward. These were designed for growing plants, and were also commonly called fern cases because they would be used for ferns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enclosures for keeping live animals were called vivariums. Insect vivariums were referred to as such or as insectariums.

Here's an illustration of a butterfly vivarium,

[​IMG]

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

linked internally

Anpu likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Those are beautiful. What would be great is if we had this type on the coto store and all other plainer versions in all sizes were craft able. Doing this would make catching those little fishies and aquarium accessories even more desirable and interesting to acquire. IMO the way it is set up players will burn out faster on the new toy. Especially those not inclined to spend any coto or RL cash on the plain Aquariums which now are in the store. I think this asset needs some re-thinking to make it more interesting and useful for the long hall.

CrandalltheFoole and Tahru like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Would make sense imo, but then we need the ornate ones available first.

I was thinking of maybe putting a tank on an ornate table and fitting it to the exact size of the table to make it look like one piece but I don't think the rustic looking trim on the tank would even match...

For the round fish bowls it would be cool to have tripod stands that we could also use as stands for orbs, and potentially things like eggs and so on. Like a table stand and a floor stand.

I've also been thinking it would be cool to have the coral etc in the tank as standalone deco.

majoria70 likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

This sounds like something fun for our Dev Scottie. He is back I hear and most likely helping out with cool things I'm sure. We already have some tables in game with cool looking curvy legs and designs. Perhaps there could be some combining or altering of already available deco to create from. Anyway just a thought.

6. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

I think that a combo fountain and aquarium would be a great thing in a garden setting.
    Though I suspect that most farms are now watered with purchased buckets, the typical country fountain was also a water source for irrigation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.