Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

We need a way to exclude certain housing types

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Aerie had empty water lots too.

Leelu likes this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

But not a large number of them.

Leelu likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Correct, I think there were like 3.

Leelu likes this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Oh great, just what we need..........

[​IMG]

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Only two? I remember back in R21 there were three! :D

[​IMG]

6. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I think there should be a PoT that is JUST lighthouses. Filled with lighthouses

Bluefire, Lord Baldrith and Leelu like this.
  7. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

honestly i'm thinking that for something like the light house that has a "use" in towns, so to speak, the house itself should have a if/then script to it - if it is X number of slots away from an already existing lighthouse, then it cannot be placed there.

i can see the need for two lighthouses in a town layout like kingsport, one on either side, both facing water - but not on the river itself.1

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Immersion breaking.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Nice! We need to keep our river outlets safe... and the rabbit agrees.

Leelu likes this.
  10. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Lighthouses can be, and are built, pretty much anywhere. Rivers, Lakes, mountains, plains.

A lighthouse can serve many purposes. In Lord of the Rings, lighthouses were used to pass the message of war across many kilometers of land. This is just one example.

In SotA, we have airships.. and because of this, I think lighthouses would prove just as useful up on mountains as down in the harbor.

I could even see two light houses built side-by-side. It could be competition, it could be a new house built to replace an old house.. it could be one is used during high tide, and the other is used during low tide.

In the end, I would love for the players to come up with good reason and lore for their houses, especially functional ones, but Many people build light houses in real life, just because they likc them. And that could happen in-game too.

**edit, just for Baron Drocis** -- Hopefully Port makes an inland rowlot lighthouse for sale cheap on the add-on store just before final wipe! :D (maybe they'll work on this instead of robes :eek:) <too far?>

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  11. Womby

Womby Avatar

It seems to me that complaining about two inappropriate lighthouses in Kingsport is like complaining about the weather when you are being carpet bombed. There are far, far worse architectural and decorating atrocities being perpetrated in the name of advertising.

My suggestions for beautifying our towns and cities are:
    - make available a wide range of merchant signs that can be affixed to buildings
    - restrict the placement of vendors so they can only be placed inside buildings

This will stop the proliferation of lots with no building that are covered with ugly decorations designed to attract attention to a vendor.
    Since nobody can place a vendor outside a building, nobody will be disadvantaged relative to another player.

redfish, Leelu, Lord Baldrith and 3 others like this.
  12. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

Why don't you see it as NOT a lighthouse but a wizard tower, a witches tower, an illusion of a lighthouse, etc. RP with it rather than censor it.

As an FYI:
    "the Hudson River, Lake Champlain, Chesapeake Bay and San Francisco Bay are also dotted with lighthouses." <- more than 1

FrostII and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Brittany last I checked had something like four lighthouses next to each other :D

Chris actually said at one point in a hangout that he would limit the amount of lighthouses in a town also, but they feel they're constrained in doing that because people paid real cash for them and limits in placing them weren't established from the start.

So, its not as if the devs are not sympathetic about this. Its just not going to budge anything, because there are other things preventing them from doing this, and it was already decided.

14. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I wholeheartedly agree with NPC mayors being able to eject any structure they don't want in their town. Especially the 600+ objects on a lot that make for a gawdy merchant display.

But seriously: it's a sandbox. I think people should be able to make what they want. Of course the devs hold the final say but I don't see the need for a tool that any of us can use to eject any kind of a house from an NPC or player run town only a POT. A /report function should be as close as it gets and even then only if it is something vulgar should it be addressed. Two light houses? Eh? So the players wanted redundant lighting sources. They bought them, they get to plant them. I've ran a metropolis in game before and I couldn't even control where a player placed a house. Had a lot of fun trying for two years to get two major roads through town. It wasn't until the last few months of the game that I achieved my goal. Talk about a long term goal!

15. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

But...but...but.... think of the immersion! The ImMeRsIon! Oh, the poor immersion.

Sandbox > immersion. Sorry.

16. Curt

Curt Avatar

One reason why i asked a question last hangout.
    Please make sure is Costal village Water lots in all costal towns
    Kingsport is one example where the only costal water lots is TOWN

I Want more logical places for the founder knights to place their lighthouses in hope they will be less lighthouses in the rivers.

As for restrictions perhaps could have so in POTS you could set a rule that doubled rent of certain housetypes (but only houses placed after the rule is set to prevent abuse)

17. Xander Xavier

Xander Xavier Avatar

Think of them as wizard's towers with a beacon on top.

Bluefire likes this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Actually, if this occurs in-game, my character will probably just make an observation about the whole ordeal and make a book out of it.

"McGurt and McGut were brothers. They choose to live together as neighbors in Kingsport. No one ever told them what a lighthouse was for. Which may be why they built two of them in the middle of a creek."

The player in me may dislike the mechanics, but the character in me will be just fine.

Bluefire likes this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Yes, on a lake.

20. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Magical rays of magic power that we sense instead of see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.