Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

What exactly are we doing here, Devs?

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Alcedes, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

I am really struggling to grasp the big picture.

There is a nice flow of XP and progression in this game up to about level 40-50. After that, the only options left are solo grinding a few various zones; mostly Deep Ravenswood. But there are some others. But then you hit level 70-75ish and this is where I become perplexed.

The amount of XP needed per level goes up by an incredible amount, yet the ability to earn XP stays the same. Even at these levels, our best XP is Deep Ravenswood.

And what is with all of this "Raid" difficulty content? Every time I try to explore or adventure some where, it is only a matter of time before I walk into a place where I am being SWARMED by anywhere between 4-12 level 90+ Archers and Mages, all at once, just teeing off with 200 damage crits.

Seriously, WTH?

Do you really intend for the high level people to just stand around in low level scenes grinding away at effortless mobs OR running around in groups of 20+..WITHOUT A RAID UI or any motivation other than accomplishment? The XP still isnt any better than Deep Ravenswood (Seriously?! WTH? Why is Deep Ravenswood able to net over 250k per hour solo? What a horrible design) The loot isnt any better than Greymrak Forest..

Believe it or not, high level people still want to be able to play the game, and at a pace that is not excruciating, and without being forced to bring an army of other players to split our nearly non existent loot with! Why do you think we want to farm CRAP mobs for CRAP XP and CRAP loot in the same scenes we started farming at level 40? And why do you think we do not want to be able to do anything alone? Why do you seem to think that high level content should only be accomplished by armies of players? This makes no sense.

I just dont get it. I understand that the game is not complete. But I guess I do not understand the huge gap. Why are we going from low level grinds to high level RAID content? There needs to be progression from this low level content up to the 20+ player raid content. and right now there simply is none.

And for the love of Lord British's beard!! If you INSIST on this ridiculous gap, at least make a RAID UI...Not in several months. Not eventually. Like immediately. PLEASE. Maybe then people will actually WANT to try to do this stuff? Right now, if we put together 16-24 players in 2-3 different groups, you end up with one group that does the most damage and hence get all the XP and all the loot! If you are going to cram this down our throats at least put in systems to support it! Sheesh.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

In my opinion everything should be balanced from the single player online mode. If single player content is impossible why have it.

3. jutman

jutman Avatar

If u read your skills go up to level 200 I believe. If u think u r having a hard time leveling them at 70 wait till u get to 100+ that will eat a ton of exp. and from a taming stand point they want u to get to level 200 in all the skill tree of taming for ur pet to be any good.

Mitara and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Level 200 is fiction. Does anyone believe you are really supposed to acquire a billion+ exp to get a skill to level 200? Chris must have been required to set an upper limit and so it seems to me he set one that wont be challenged.

Did you want to be able to hit level 100 in 2 months? Would that be good for the game? Does catering to the handful of power gamers prevail over all the other lacking areas in the game? Quests, new mobs, performance, bugs, etc.

mbomber, Aimend, Kara Brae and 8 others like this.
  5. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

I am not talking about skill level....i have probably 50 skills level 70 or higher. im talking about adventurer level

6. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

This is my gripe exactly. There is no "middle" content. We go from stupid easy solo content to raid content that needs 20+ people. Where are the areas for adv level 70-90 that do not require 20 daggone people?

Ice Queen, helm, Sarg and 5 others like this.
  7. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

Yes totally agreed.
    Raid content is great, IF you have raid party mechanics in game, but to make control points require two parties without providing raid party mechanics just makes the content unplayable, which is not ideal in R1 since content is still pretty thin.

8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

In telethon they were talking about creating some kind of linkable groups and also guild alliance. So that's something we can look forward to.

9. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

äääähm, nope, I think the exact opposite is the best way: Max content should be made exciting for group activities, so there should of cause be areas where you can have fun alone (if this is your chosen gameplay style) and are challanged AND also awarded with good xp and loot, but if you think all stuff should be able to be done alone grouping up gets dull and boring quickly. The World is big enough to have enough stuff for solo and also group players, so why just focus on one group of them and let the others left bored?

Of cause in the Offline Mode all should be focused on the one player, but also there they plan to introduce companions which you can take with you, so there is also room for much harsher content as well ;)

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

You do know this game was billed as a single player game that you can play online with your friends right? It was never intended to be a mmo.

11. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Japp, I know, but look at the community: We are all different players with different gamestyles. There are solo players, people who like small groups, some like to fill the group limit, some want hard pvp, some soft, some want to just be crafters and others like to have some flowers in the garden, so all of them should have fun with the game. Like I said: The World is big and can also become even bigger. So why not making areas for all people? We already have pvp areas where you are forced to go in mp mode (which was a good decission by the devs to change it this way), so why not also have areas for groups of players. Don't have to be all 5-skull areas, of cause, but to have enough content for both, singles and groupies, is possible and should be focused on. Also the dungeons can be made suitable for both groups.

The other option would be scaling, so if you are in solo play all foes get easier. But that will not only break up the immersion, but also would be an longer act of balancing because that would also effect spawnrates, loot, sizes of groups, may be mechanics of dungeon traps/secrets, .... But still: It could be an option to satisfy people.

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

well they should scale the modes to fit the playstyle. If one chooses to play single player online the should be able to do all the content. just scale it down so he can do it. I am not asking for it to be easy by any means, just doable. The modes should all be playable for the content really. I know what you are saying and I do not necessarily disagree. I am just saying that the single player online should not be the red headed stepchild lol.

13. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Well, it wouldn't if there are enough possibilities to go out fighting and have fun ;) ... It would just feel strange to have a "Mega Dungeon of Eldar Evilness (tm)" filled with a hell of creatures and you go in there and kill the ultimate foe of all who have been seen alone - even if it is a harsh fight. There can be of cause enough other locations where you coud be the king of monster slaying (f you are worthy) ;)

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

why not, it worked in U4-7 :)

Cally, Mitara, Baalice and 3 others like this.
  15. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

But also in all locations in UO? ^^ .... Ok, so before we exchange more nice worlds and likes on the same sub-topic: We both understand the opinion of each other and think that we both are right in some way, so let's live on with this supreme knowledge and wait for others to give additional input and may be new ideas for us on this topic :D

16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

agreed :) I do like good conversation and thank you for having it :) You are not as hostile as some others.

17. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

If I were playing in single player, I should hope I'd eventually be able to beat the big bad boss, yea. In multiplayer I wouldn't. Same fight, different level of big badness, I guess. I mean, I play a lot of single player games and I've taken down a lot of threats that would be considered that world's 'elder evilness' over the years. But it's single player, there wouldn't be much point if I couldn't eventually work up my power to defeat them; the big bad would win and that's no good. :p

So, yes, in all locations. If you play single player, you should be able to handle all locations eventually from a PvE standpoint. What's the point of having areas too difficult to handle in single player? They would just sit there unused. In multiplayer? No, the big dungeons would be like the dungeons or lost lands in UO, it's meant to be challenged as a group. I played UO solo at times but it was never advertised as anything but an MMO. This is selective multiplayer so the world itself has to scale to the player or players involved in it. At least, that's my opinion on it.

Quenton, Aldo, Pickley and 2 others like this.
  18. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

You're expecting too much. The game is only "live" in the sense that you can place houses and fight a few wolves.

19. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

First off, the grind is a game feature. Enjoy!

Second, this is sadly what happens when a game is released as an unfinished mess but please enjoy the Clinton'esque changing of the language in calling it "early access" as that must make you feel better knowing that.

helm, Cally, Snikorts and 1 other person like this.
  20. Magos

Magos Avatar

Disagree strongly.

1. Repeatedly over the last decade polls have shown that 70-75+% of people have their preferred playstyle in MMOs as solo;

2. This is even true of raid heavy games like WoW but especially true of a sandbox game;

3. Having put tens of thousands of hours into playing a host of MMOs over the last 20 years by far the most attachment and nostalgia is to UO. You start putting too much group and raid content in and you are no longer Brine Gilmore the legendary master of the dark arts, you become healer number 3 or 4 and and one of a handful of utility DPS. Or possibly one of the one or two l33t tanks in game that dominates the couple of ub3r guilds. No thanks.

hroth, 4EverLost, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.