Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

What exactly are we doing here, Devs?

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Alcedes, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

OP I feel your pain, grinding greens is no fun, but it's what we got right now. :)

I was told it would be an mmo too by RG and would never have bought the game if he hadn't responded and told me it would be an mmo too. :) It is meant to be something for everyone imo from this reply to me.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6492365/#Comment_6492365
    Ice-Queen,

Shroud of the Avatar allows players to select between Solo-Player and Massively Multiplayer (and a few modes in between). When playing in the default configuration, it is more MMO than most MMO's! Most MMO's have "Shards" to prevent overpopulation of one server. Shards mean that people on separate shards will never meet, which arbitrarily fragments the community. SotA actually allows ALL players into the same single world. We manage overcrowding by temporarily spinning up multiple instances of an overcrowded area, and sorting people into them based on your friends graph. I think this is both an MMO and better than Sharded MMO's!

Shroud of the Avatar has the best features of many of this teams prior work: Virtue Quests as seen in Ultima IV-VII, Detailed World interaction and NPC schedules as seen in Ultima VII, Massively Multiplayer play as seen in Ultima Online, and persistent player world impact as seen in both the Housing of Ultima Online and the Contol Points of Tabula Rasa.

If you are looking for an MMO, you will not be unhappy with SotA! If you are looking for a story driven RPG, SotA will also deliver. And you can play it in solo mode if you wish.

See you in the game!

- Lord British

Birne Gilmore likes this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I like this part too! :)
    Can you tell me when he said this? I understand that he did and now it is an mmo, it just was not supposed to be from what was told us at the kickstarter. We where to have the MPO which would be like 16 people in a scene, not hundreds. I understand though that it has changed into something different.

3. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

2014 I think October
    *edit* just checked yup October 2014

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Start at about 3:55. Chris starts talking about how you would have to go to a safe place or town to switch modes. he also describes that MMO is not truly an MMO. He states it. This is a kickstart video.

Ice Queen likes this.
  5. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, I remember that. I was just saying I was told differently and wouldn't have bought Sota if it wasn't going to be an mmo too. When the kickstarter came out, I looked at it and what you say is what I saw it as too and was instantly turned away from buying into Sota. I saw eww Rpg with only maybe being able to play with a dozen or so people and not full fledged mmorpg, so I didn't buy it. I don't play RPG's that aren't Mmorpg's, it's just not my thing. I'm not into story at all, the faster I can click through the dialog, the faster I get onto doing things I'd rather be doing instead. :)

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Aye. I am just pointing out what we where told back then and what we have now are two dif things.

Ice Queen likes this.
  7. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

So reading this thread, the main take away comes down to one major message:

"This is my gripe exactly. There is no "middle" content. We go from stupid easy solo content to raid content that needs 20+ people. Where are the areas for adv level 70-90 that do not require 20 daggone people?

We know and we're working on it.

8. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

You da man. :D

Chris likes this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Nice. What level do you have the strength skill at? That must have cost an arm and a leg to raise that skill. I got my INT up to 60 from 54... I had 1million XP and it dropped to 945,000 or so and I was killing red spiders left and right at the time. I only had one or two other skills set to raise but I mostly relied upon skills that were set not to increase.

Also do you notice any skill decay at this point?

If not are you being very specific in the skills you've chosen to make a sort of "optimal" build?

10. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

75 train str, 70 train dex, 70 train int.

and no, not really noticing decay at this point.

i am ALWAYS very specific in what skills i optimize.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    hroth and helm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.