Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

What good is a fire elemental?

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by jiirc, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

So one of he first things I did was put points into the fire elemental skill. Whaten it came I cast the spell and out came a fire elemental. I loved the look, a fiery glow around a humanoid shaped body. Then I wondered how I could control it. Maybe it's not completely finished yet, but I couldn't find any way to control it. It didn't attack what I wanted it to attack. It didn't attack my target, It didn't attack someone that was attacking me. It didn't stop attacking when I stopped attacking. It seemed like it just randomly picked a target and kept beating on it. I did notice that if I ran away, it followed. When it decided to attack again, it usually attacked my foe. But that was probably because it was the closest enemy. I'm also wondering if it's damage output is low.

Lord Baldrith and Duke NRaas like this.
  2. GreenSmokeFalling

GreenSmokeFalling Avatar

It doesn't do damage or it wasn't in PvP.

3. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I did the testing in pvp. It did some damage but not a lot. Maybe a couple of points. But then again maybe it's balanced that way. After all there's only 100 hp to play with.

It was more about control than damage. Those few damage points would be better served attacking my target than a different one. Especially if the damage is going to be low.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. GreenSmokeFalling

GreenSmokeFalling Avatar

Weird I let one attack me for a good minute and it did 0 damage.

5. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We are working on fixing this for tomorrow

6. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

DarkStarr the Fire Element also causes damage to players in Owl's Head (possibly other towns) and will attack friendly players and NPCs.

Siili and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  7. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Earlier today I watched a fire elemental attack the soldiers at the war camp.we were watching them fight kobold and the fire elemental attacked the soldiers. When the soldiers all died, the elemental came running back to me and stood and watched the kobold as they attacked me. I could have sworn that there was an extra wiggle or two in its flames as I fought for my life.

Khloec, Duke NRaas, Siili and 2 others like this.
  8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes...

I do like how the Fire Elemental looks, which I suspect is the main purpose it was added this early into its implementation.

However it needs a bit more work before I drop that many skill points into purchasing it.

Better luck next release I expect. :)

Lord Baldrith and Khloec like this.
  9. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

Dunno... one of them did kill me once...

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm actually looking at fire elementals in a different way. So from what Darkstarr said fire elementals will be in the pet format, so that is very cool to start getting a piece of the pet system started in the game, then the sooner for the rest of the pets to follow. Fire elementals don't do much this moment, but I bet they will soon. So exciting to get our cool features started. We have waited sooooooo long just getting through the creation of the game stuff, of course much more of that will continue, but how much fun will it be to get to play around with the features that will have this game stand apart from so many other games.:)

11. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

the damage output is pretty good and its very hard to kill best skill in game so far :p best as in most powerful but way too powerful at this moment

12. bwebb

bwebb Avatar

If the elemental attacks the nearest target that would be consistent with the way UO worked and that makes sense to me. I liked the way summoned vs tamed creatures worked back then. You can control tamed creatures but you have to accurately target with summoned creatures in combat, though.

This is only my second post and the second time I am talking about UO...this does not bode well for the future. As I said there, I am not playing currently so my input could be way off base but I think that was a very balancing element for UO without making summoned creatures weak.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

The elemental has no features yet bwebb and welcome to you. He still needs much development. We are just testing things as they come in so expect much to not work the way it should, that's why we are here;)

14. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I used one in solo gathering ore and it attacks any thing attacking it or attacking me (mod NPCs), it switches when I switch targets. They mainly move off and throws fireballs (I'm not sure if it does alot of damage or not), it takes damage because I can watch its HPs returning when the battle is over. It never goes away (unless I die or leave the scene). It has trouble getting up hills/steps, but pops next to me if I get too far away from it. A cool companion, if you ask me...

It's actually a "female" humanoid form, you know like my Ex... Sorry I had to say that, otherwise she is pretty... in a flaming kind of way...

15. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

It sounds like they got some changes into the game with the last patch. I haven't had a chance to try it out again, maybe I can today.

Duke NRaas likes this.
  16. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Oh yeah, definitely better now.

And since they don't appear to have an expiry (other than exiting the zone), they are a must-have companion for PvE hunting. :)

SmokerKGB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.