What is the line between PvP and Griefing?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Anendrue, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It's all being logged. No sane developer thinks having a res point camped with easy kills and control of an area with relative ease as a great selling point.

In the end, I'm sure it will get cleaned up and those doing it are only hurting themselves. No one has to complain when the data is at their fingertips.

2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I support PVP, even the lunacy of how some people play it. Due the nature that PVP'er are cornered into using small pockets of the PVE world, one should expect everything. So embrace it or avoid it. Some people want some sort of honorable behavior, but it just not going to happen. All is good as long as it is not personal and is just game play. However, taking videos and gloating about them brings conflict into real life which makes things personal and should be highly discouraged. I think it has been mostly in good fun, but that is line so small you need a magnifying glass to see the difference.

3. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That really isn't a good move in anything you do. Plus it would be horrible advertising for the game...it's pretty self explanatory why this should be frowned upon.

Gaelis and Tahru like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Different videos have different appeals amongst various sections of the community. For example, I could argue that a video of an rp event might turn off my section because its advertising something that my guys don't really like or have an interest in.

Like with all videos, if you don't like them, don't watch them.

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

What you effectively are doing is bullying other players and then humiliating them after. I guess you see some value in it, I see negative results. I bet pretty much the opposite of what you want people to think of pvp. Maybe not though....its really up to you, I just wouldn't really bother with people like that.

Skidd Vortex, Arianna and Gaelis like this.
  7. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

Well said. I think that is honestly what a few of us wanted to say.

Arianna and Gaelis like this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

That implys that I single people out.......which I don't. Videos/screengrabs are all part of my pvp culture........like rp it isn't for everyone and I wouldn't expect some sections of the community to understand.

The Hendoman, Tarsin and royalsexy like this.
  9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Soon as there is a purpose to PvP somewhere else people will go there. As long as that purpose is more valuable then res camping, that is.

4EverLost and Tahru like this.
  10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Let's keep this civil. It is dangerous to be too presumptuous. I don't know ENVY personally, but I have read thousands of posts from all the regulars and he comes across as more blunt-sincere than most. It's equally possible that the videos are just a statement to other PVP'ers "Look we finally have PVP, it is about time!" That does not make me a fan though, and I voiced my concern with no disrespect :cool: I am sure my butt is going to be on one of those videos of shame soon enough. :oops: R14 has been a lot of fun. I wish there was more stuff to do...

Kitten and E n v y like this.
  11. CobaIt

CobaIt Avatar

I think traditional PVP is going to be horribly limited anyway if the MMO version of the game keeps the over world format but thats another story. That being said how about wandering healers like UO? Just scatter a few NPC's about in the general area. All of the spaces you can roam around in the wild I think I pretty cramped myself but at least guys trying to res and get out of dodge would have a fighting chance.

Tahru likes this.
  12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

You may also note that almost nobody flags for PvP this release.

13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Welcome to the SOTA forums nkreegar!

Gaelis and CobaIt like this.
  14. CobaIt

CobaIt Avatar

Hey Thanks! Happy to be on board! :)

Gaelis, Themo Lock and Tahru like this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Pretty sure everything I said was civil...it was how I felt about the situation, no need to make martyrs here.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Kitten

Kitten Avatar

Everyone who is against what Envy/DoD or other pkers are doing. Where are you guys in game? Why are you not out there helping the weak? They (the weak) sit there waiting for the guilds to show up and wondering why the guilds who swore they wanted to hunt Pkers are not there. Video's are posted of what is happening and still no one comes to help them. I hear a lot of virtues being thrown around and I see lines being crossed and you guys are not happy about it. But what I am not seeing is you out there helping the weak. Where are your virtues?

There is no line between PVPing and griefing. Also, without Pkers then there would not be any guilds swearing to hunt down Pkers. You can not have good without the evil.

but what do I know, I'm just a fluffy little kitten..

Kaisa, E n v y, royalsexy and 2 others like this.
  17. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Everyone is right. Let's hope SotA accommodates all play styles of PvP. While polite and structured PvP is fun, it doesn't compare to the adrenaline rush that comes with the free for all. The kills are satisfying, narrowly escaping being killed is satisfying. Being ganked sure is frustrating, but DoD and E n v y and others are just asking for retaliation, and I'm sure they know it :) Eventually groups will form and head there in numbers to pay them their dues. Inappropriate emotes will be used. Curse words will be said. Satisfaction will be had. The world will be right again.

18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I AM in there guarding nooobs! acknowledge me i am so very relevant! *sobs*

[​IMG]

19. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Themo Lock, protector noobs, liker of boobs, we salute you with gratitudes! Now let us drink some booze!

20. Kitten

Kitten Avatar

*purrring* ~walks up to Themo Lock and rubs up against his legs~ Don't sob, it will be okay. *purrrring*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.