What PvP Players can look forward to

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by enderandrew, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

2. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I don't have that many friends. But I don't know anyone personally that is disappointed that pvp wont be a free for all like original UO. I only have about 10 PC gamer friends. But I only include people I know in real life. Most of my friends are taking a wait and see approach to this game. I only convinced 2 to pledge, but they both wen to Lord level so that was an extra $3,000 for this game :D

Now if your 100 friends are a group of people on the internet who like playing free-for-all pvp mmos then you are talking about a niche group of people, not representative of the majority of MMO players, let alone PC gamers in general.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

mean anything". It's funny how the tune changes when the virtuous reveal the truth.

[​IMG]

Instead of growing with the new internet population. Trammel tanked. It didn't just go sideways, because you have to compare the available costumer population with the UO user's graph. It TANKED![/quote]

THIS IS A PROBABLY THE WORST PSEUDO-SCIENCE CRAP ARGUMENT I'VE EVER SEEN. I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE ARGUMENT ON EITHER SIDE, BUT THIS ARGUMENT IS ABSOLUTELY BS... IT'S SO BAD THAT NOBODY'S GOING TO BELIEVE IT BUT YOU... IF YOU EVEN BELIEVE IT.

4. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

UO wasn't strictly Bout PvP either, don't know if you ever played UO but that game was about many skills many many skills and I wouldn't go around claiming SOTA isn't the game for them just because they enjoy PVP, last I checked there will be PVP in the game.

Ultima Aficionado likes this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

That's not how I remember it going...

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I disagree. PKs had harsh penalties. They couldn't enter town, they were legally attackable (and sought after) by anybody, and they could get stat-loss if killed. If they penalized them anymore it wouldn't be fair. The problem was that some people just don't like PvP period.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

"Don't like" is one thing. Those people (the ones who didn't like PvP) ran. Two of my characters, I had flee from every single PvP encounter.

They got away most of the time, because the game was designed to make quick getaways easy.

This state of run-and-hide was mitigated by a large world (for its time) and fast mob/resource repops. Never had much of a problem with fleeing and doing my thing.

Did good to upset a potential griefer too... ;)

Today's audience seems insecure about PvP. I guess they "don't like" it as well, but it's sad that it's made it to this point.

I agree. A lot of people don't seem to understand the context of UO's mechanics.

My PK routinely became one of my largest money sinks just to get him back up to snuff.

Sent from my EVA Unit-01 using Tapatalk

Razimus and Isaiah like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Time Lord and tradyblix like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This right there is exactly the point. People some how have this idea that old school UO was total chaos. It wasn't... well not after they started the murder system and fixed a few tricks like throwing a table on the ground etc.

Once you got GM in your weapon skill, you should have an excellent chance of escaping any attack.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Wrestling, far and away. 8)

Whacking someone with a halberd and a Harm worked wonders too!

Sent from my EVA Unit-01 using Tapatalk

11. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I wasn't talking about UO at all actually. Also, I was not saying the game isn't for him because SotA will be without PvP because like you said, clearly it will have it. Since it's not his idea of what PvP should be (like it was in UO I guess), he is writing the entire game off. That's fine by me, more fun for the rest of us! The other part of my post meant that Portalarium never mentioned balls to the wall PvP as a highlight of SotA in the campaign.

We the people? Speak for yourself @Talmanes, because you are definitely not speaking for me with your nonsense.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

This is very sad.
    Effectively I know hundreds of people who are very disappointed in the direction PvP in SotA : (

Unless they close their eyes or completely ignore the existence of people who love wild and open PvP.
    It's very simple to understand.

To understand, we must go read the impressions on other more objective than this community.

I hope Portalarium will meet the needs of gamers fascinate by PvP. But it is very wrong start.

What is this? Come on man !

Ultima Aficionado and Razimus like this.
  13. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

using my phone to type impossible to navigate these forums with it hence my accidental quote in your quote

14. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

As it stands, you can have open PvP on certain maps. You can have open PvP with warring guilds all the time.

PvP is worked into lore and there are specific PvP skills and rewards.

PvP will be filled with people willing, capable and interested because they're in a PvP guild, they're on the map or they went out of their way to flag themselves. Isn't PvP against willing and capable players more interesting than griefing new/weak players?

What precisely are looking for that is currently missing? What specifically are you missing out on?

Time Lord, Mishri and tradyblix like this.
  15. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

The PvP map sounds cool to me, it was one of the points that stuck out, why assume PvP fans are also griefing fans? Because this is a straight up false stereotype.

16. enderandrew

I haven't said that all PvPers are griefers. But the only real limitation of the system in this compromise is that you can't grief new players and people are complaining about that restriction. You have full, open PvP with everyone that is willing and capable of participating.

PvP against good competition is better PvP for everyone involved.

Time Lord, Mishri and Doppelganger like this.
  17. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

no comments

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

If only new players were protected I think PvP players would be content. I know I would.

I think the devs should stick to the original kick starter plan. Protect newbies and have optional PvP. Optional as in SPO/FPO. That was the plan when I and many others pledged. It later got switched to consensual.

Talmanes likes this.
  19. enderandrew

I assume everyone interested in PvP will be joining PvP warring guilds and you can PvP to your heart's content.

I don't think I'll be joining a PvP warring guild (I committed to MGT 470 early on and remain committed to them) but I will be entering open PvP areas and participating.

Time Lord and algumacoisaqq like this.
  20. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Call me crazy, but aren't "optional" and "consensual" the same thing as far as the game is concerned?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.