What PvP Players can look forward to

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by enderandrew, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Very true. It has been mentioned that PvP-only hexes will be temporary, reverting to a mixed-style hex after a certain period of time.

And yes, it has also been alluded to that SPO players who enter a PvP-only hex will simply see the regular non-enhanced version of the hex (so no additional creatures/resources). Effectively such a player would not even see a difference at all (though would miss out on the added rewards their OPO brethren are seeing). :)

Time Lord likes this.
  2. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

they spoke about control points. These "hexes" will not be temporary. They might change conditions depending upon who won the battle there, but those control points will be points of control. If you don't control the control point, then you will likely get your kss aicked.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

• PVP Zones: Volcanic eruptions and meteoric strikes on the map will create a mix of predefined areas and random areas that will be flagged as open PVP, meaning anyone entering that zone is flagged as PVP. These zones will have the following characteristics:
      • The rarest resources and rarest creatures will be more abundant in PVP Zones. (IMPORTANT NOTE: These resources and creatures also appear in PVE zones)
      • PVP specific resources for making PVP specific items.
      • PVP specific trainers, although there are issues we anticipate with quest givers getting camped, so we will work on solutions for this.
      • PVP specific quests, including the quest from the Oracle which flags the player as open PVP.
      • PVP Zones are currently planned to only be accessible in Open Multiplayer since playing them in Friend Only or Single Player Online modes would be an easy way to circumvent PVP.
      • A confirmation dialogue appears before entry into any and all PVP maps. This confirmation is also triggered during login if you logged out in a zone that has temporarily become PVP, at which time you can opt to login to the overworld map.
    Ponder the line in yellow for a second.

What is the purpose of making rare creatures and resources more abundant. The hex is contested, the risk vs reward is controlled. You know when you go into the hex it is going to be a fight to get this extra opportunity for access to the rares.

What about the rares in those PvE zones, as highlighted? They are not including abundance in those PvE zones based on filtering.

It could be reading into things but it's a trend in their thought process. When they mention PvE zones they do not allude to it being segregated.

Silent Strider and Time Lord like this.
  4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I do recall them bringing up control points, yes. However I do *not* recall them mentioning whether they would PvP-only.

The times they have been brought it up was in regards to having to clear out a PvE force of creatures, which would require the cooperation of a large group of players.

Feel free to direct me to a reference otherwise, though. I have no problem being proven wrong in this regards. :)

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

PvP/PvE segregation Here is a link for you @Talmanes

options If you watch for a little longer you can see they are reserving their right to options.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

I will not quote a source. The control points are PvP zones though. Believe me or don't believe me.

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Actually, I think it was said that it would still require players to consent to PvP and switch them to OPO to enter a contested hex.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

@Ristra, If there was a PvP server and a PvE, where you'll play ?

9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, I thought that originally as well, from earlier comments mentioned in Dev+.

However, a recent hangout mentioned SPO users simply being able to walk into those hexes. So it is possible that "current thinking" in that regards may have changed, or someone was simply talking off the cuff. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  10. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

talk about wreck the game. One game server please.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

For other interested parties, control points are mentioned at 20:30 in this video: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=40167

While the term PvP is never dropped during the video, it is understandable how one can get the impression in either direction. :)

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What you ask is a what if. I live in realville. I am not writing the design docs for this game and it would be very different from SotA. What I will play is based on the entertainment value of what SotA has to offer.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I didn't hear anything mentioning PvP.

Control points are scenes that change the state of a hex. They are barriers on the overworld map. To pass through those type hexes the must brought under control. Or find another way around such as a lunar rift. (for those that wish for mark/recall you are probably out of luck)

Stands to reason that they would be of both styles, PvP and PvE. I can't imagine that PvE will be able to go into a PvP control point and bring it under control without ever flagging for PvP. I have seen nothing along those lines.

Dhailen, Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  14. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

We are in complete agreement Ristra. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  15. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

When they talk about control points they usually bring up Tabula Rasa's control points. Lord British says something like "thats one of the things I think we did real good in Tabula Rasa, and I would like to bring it into Shoud. *or something like that*)

The control points in Tabula Rasa were faction based control points. It depends on which faction controls it etc. Seems to me that this will be a "contested area", and I doubt they plan on there being a mini-game to vie for control. These zones sound very volatile and subject to conquest, in other words subject to PvP battles to see which side gains/maintains control.

http://tabularasa.wikia.com/wiki/Control_Point

Ravenclaw likes this.
  16. DASTARDLY ROTTEN RICK

DASTARDLY ROTTEN RICK Avatar

Do you anti Pk'ers not enjoy looting a Pk'er?
    Do you not like it when you get attacked and win?
    When you kill a PK do you want to find another?
    Don't you get excited when you find that guy that killed you,solo in the woods, and you are with a group of you friends?

Stop saying that you don't like to PK. You just don't like to lose (that is the only difference)!

digitallyjinxed likes this.
  17. cleogms

cleogms Avatar

a seen so many minecraft list all servers are pretty good and the game is really ingenious

18. digitallyjinxed

digitallyjinxed Avatar

I agree. ..imo saying there shouldn't be open pvp in a game because you can't win or aren't willing to put in the time it takes to get good is like saying there shouldn't be curve balls in baseball because you can't hit them

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

19. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Actually that is not necessarily the case. Some players enjoy different aspects of the game that has nothing to do with fighting. They will grow crops, go fishing, work with woods, metal and/or leather. They will focus on role playing or in game theater or poetry. They will write books and music. They will run establishments that cater to adventurers but never adventure themselves. Different people enjoy different things and choose to invest their time in different ways. Just because they do not choose to spend their time practicing their fighting skills does not mean that they are playing wrong. It just means that they choose to enjoy the game in a different way. Your mistake is in thinking everyone is playing 'baseball'. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

20. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Actually I think it is more like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit_by_pitch

This can be a valid strategy in baseball; however, it is illegal and potentially dangerous. Open PVP can be a valid feature in the game, but its misuse and potential danger is why its implementation is treated cautiously by developers, and why limiting and balancing features might be put in place.

The problem is MMO's rarely have umpires.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.