What's everyone's age group? "The Majority Rules Game"!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Time Lord, Apr 4, 2014.

?

What's Our Forum General Age Group: choose your group and lets find out :)

1. 10-14

0.7%
  2. 15-19

0.7%
  3. 20-24

3.2%
  4. 25-29

15.1%
  5. 30-34

18.5%
  6. 35-39

13.3%
  7. 40-44

21.5%
  8. 45-49

12.4%
  9. 50-54

4.8%
  10. 55-59

5.3%
  11. 60-64

2.3%
  12. 65-69

1.6%
  13. 70-74

0.5%
  14. 75-to beating the insurance companies and retirement plans till your dead :)

0.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I believe SL is like 43 years old, which would put him squarely in the largest group right now.

2. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

36. My first Ultima was Ultima 3 at the tender age of 5. Needless to say it didn't make much sense but it sure was neat looking. :D

( And no, I didn't beat it XD )

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  3. enderandrew

I'm 35, but my first Ultima was Ultima V, and then I went back to Ultima IV.

I didn't try the first trilogy until much later in life. I still haven't beat any of the original trilogy.

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Yay! Atari FTW! ;). I had many Ataris including the 400, 130XE, 1040ST.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I still own them too!

5. dnisis

dnisis Avatar

Gaming has come a long way since I started on PONG. First games were played on Intellivision and a separate pong console, wow! First computer was a commodore 64 with a cassette tape drive for games, then a TRS-80 and graduated up to an IBM 386sx with a huge 40 MB HD and 16 M of RAM. Since then, nothing has stopped me. I played Ultima IV and everything past that. Sure would like to try playing some of those again but some of the floppies died and now no floppy drive even if they still worked.

I actually have gamed with many "older" players that no longer get out and this is their way to maintain social connections. The oldest was a gentleman in his mid 80's playing LOTRO. One never knows who is behind the keyboard.

6. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

I remember when dirt was clean

Maka, Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  7. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

To quote the UK comedian Jasper Carrott - "I remember a time when we weren't obsessed with nostalgia... those were the days!"

;)

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Are You As Old As Video Games?"

~1958~

Some of us are :(
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

I've seen the acorn before the oak, and the egg before the white hen.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Womby

Womby Avatar

A similar poll from Star Citizen:

[​IMG]

Jatvardur, Margard and Duffrey Blake like this.
  11. Gaumarol

Gaumarol Avatar

I vote for my own group: 40 - 44

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"How Did the Immortals Do It?":eek:

"It's Something to Think About"o_O

13. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

The gap in the 35-39 is bothering me. It doesn't make sense for the bell curve to just fold in there. These people would have been 19-23 years old when UO came out.

NRaas, Margard and Time Lord like this.
  14. Atticus Gryphonheart

Atticus Gryphonheart Legend of the Hearth

Makes a bit a of sense to me. 40 to 45 when the first Ultimas came out and thus loyality. It was also a beginning of computer gaming and not many choices in that genre. The next age group, from 35 to 39 yo, there was a boom of different games and a shift in the variety of different computer platforms. So many different choices to immerse ones selfs in. In ecology and evolutionary biology when a new "ecosystem" forms there can be an initial shift to "generalist" use by the users of the available resources before niches start forming again.

Also, If you notices the Star Citizen graph, there clear distinction based on age group which also is similar to time when a lot of space simulator games started coming out...ie X-Wing v Tie Fighter. Niche selction has already started and thus the bell curve.

15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The gap in the 35-39 is bothering me. It doesn't make sense for the bell curve to just fold in there. These people would have been 19-23 years old when UO came out. [​IMG]
    acrylic_300

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A very astute observation acrylic_300

In my work with Anti-De'Sitter Space Time, there is an anomaly that shows up, that deals with people who's birth charts by astrology, shows high degrees of planets concentrated in the sign of Leo. This same styled anti-bell curve has been observed within astrology birth charts of 2 different dating web sites showing same results throughout a long monitored study. Time being different for each person because of position on the planet with all their different starting points of the tic toc of their bio-clock, places each person into a different time, just as your head is traveling faster in time than your feet are. Thus, the only way to truly measure any individual's space time, became time references from the place and point of the individual's starting point in time... thus Anti-De' Sitter Space Time for any individual is measured by the old astrology style birth chart.

"At the Time the Planet Saturn Was Moving Through Leo Were These Same People's Group 35-39"
    What that means, who knows... yet by the greater amounts of those people within the dating sites being so much more than others, it could mean something :eek:
    Just Odd Facts...o_O

16. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

I only just found this thread now. 35-39..
    200 odd votes from 84k forum members, or 11k+ backers from this website alone. Give it some time - so far it's just a poll of some forum regulars from a given timezone.

17. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

It could be from a lack of data, not so easy to tell at the moment but Atticus's suggestion is compelling.

The distribution that we see above from SC is what I'd expect from most games. SOTA actually looks similar but has an exceptional extra peak at 40-44 which could be for a number of reasons. Therefore it is not the dip which is strange but rather the second peak; a second distribution is being super-imposed on top of the regular distribution that we would see for all games. Certainly the underlying distribution for SOTA is likely to be shifted to the older ages.

One further point, the distribution isn't really a bell curve (normal) but log-normal or Pareto.

18. enderandrew

These are still really small sample sizes, so I wouldn't make too much of the trends. I'm in that 35-39 group myself.

tradyblix, Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  19. Ceal Astra

Ceal Astra Avatar

While I agree that more data is needed(I would expect a softer transition to the younger group) the 40-44 spike doesn't surprise me. These folks were 8-11 in 81, and were teens/preteens with home computers for a decade coinciding with the height of the original Ultima's popularity. In much the way one usually has a particular attachment to the music of your teen and pre-teen years, any new project with RG's name attached feels like hearing your favorite band is touring again.

20. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

All I know is I'm in the 1%, lol, should be fun, I've always been in the 99%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.