Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Who hates the combat system?

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by Asclepius, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

yeah melee and magic need to be separated, especially for those who not like the deck combat

so you can choose 2 styles of gameplay a fighter with combos and fixed attacks or a mage with the deck system

atm both melee fighter and mage feels a bit like the same playstyle wise . the fighter should not use the deck system

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Nobody is a master of everything. If you are both swords and mage then you either split your combat ability between two skill sets evenly or focus on one and use the other as a support skill.

If they let us have two bars it might get confusing. If it works thats fine i guess, but it should be like two full decks. If you dont have enough skills for two full decks then there should be some slugs. You would need lots of skill points to deserve two toolbars to keep it fare.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Sinclair and Time Lord like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"I've only been turned on by this game 9 times so far"
    I didn't know that my Avatar was swinging until I noticed a small noise as I ran past the target. Our game just doesn't have the animation ability yet to provide a visual. This is one of the first times a major game has been created from the very basics of "everything" and having players involved in it and this you mention is one of the things that reminds me about that. It wasn't but a few month ago when our Avatars couldn't sit or jump or even have a place to stand in some places.

My first encounter with this alpha game effect was when they made Owl's Head and I remember being frustrated and confused because I couldn't get my Avatar out of town... But then I had one of those Twilight Zone moments and realized that Owl's Head was all the world was with nothing outside it :confused:!:eek:

Currently we can run in a tight circle around our target and never get hit by the target but our Avatar also won't auto strike the target doing this except with a special hit. Though moving back a forth across the target the Avatar (though it's hard to notice) will make an auto swing as it passes. I use this as a first swing and follow it closely with whatever special swing that pops up in my deck.

Our Avatars are still in a very basic state of creation and sometimes that fact escapes me about our game. We could say it's not a game yet, but it's still fun to play as a basic sort of game. "But it's only been tuned up and turned on 9 times now"...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

4. Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust Avatar

I totally getcha there...having tested Dark and Light and the like. Kinda like testing this more....

See what happens...hope we get what we thought...

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Possibilities of Providing Alpha Phase Immersion Through Our Luminary Additions?"
    [​IMG]
    I'm actually hoping to see other luminaries appear in our skies at night to help light it up for better nighttime combat. I'm under the impression from our Portalarium that monsters may come out more at night than during the daylight hours. It could be possible that these other Moons that circle us could all together provide a great eerie light for our nighttime hunting fun. Nighttime fun at this point would help hide our Avatar's lacking animations and could provide us with deeper immersion even if we are still in Alpha Phase of development.

6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You are not telling me that it is cool just passively watching during combat?
    Shouldn't combat be fast, full of action and maybe some chaos? Dodging, whacking, stabbing, blocking, feeling the thrill of the battle around you, being actively involved?
    Have we come to a point at which combat has become something that we watch while being bored and clicking some icons until we can actively "play" again?

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

yup yup... better cloud architecture is necessary for fast paced combat, seriously I dunno how many times I repeated it but thats the FIRST thing you want to work on, the combat and rules finish last.

Since they now must work on the SPO and story, we know they won't go back to basic architecture, that means we basically have a farmville level "industry standard" and we're far from indie developpement...

You will never ever get fast paced and interesting combat with all this lag fuss because we're too afraid to face hackers and use a FAST FOOD recipe at the table of the king. I'd rather have slow or turn based combat if we're going to have this zyngaton...

Time Lord likes this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Then again, I don't mean to be harsh or anything. Weigh my words with a grain of salt, if you will.

I am a bit roleplaying right now, and this is my way to contribute to the debate. Don't take me too seriously, ever, I'm a jolly companion folks :)

I will still play the story, because I think the whole rest is going to be fine ; my comments only are directed to the MMO side of things...

Even if all my friends continue with the new games you'll bee seeing me with my headphones totally digging into this gem thats being constructed.

None of the devs should however let that get to their heads because the reason I say this is because I know and feel and enjoy the passion and virtue of our dev team. I know its going to be intricate, I know the npc chat system is going to be amazing etc etc... because this time there is no Guardian.

It's just too convenient, and thats what I do, I'm also a seer and as much a bad image it gives me I have to say that by sidestepping the guardian we are not escaping anything, that we're leaving the door wide open for worse daemons to torment us in the long run.

We have to put all our focus points on the virtues not the cards... or we will lose the very essence that makes us unique.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

that's fine but while you are role playing you just might find out that the glyph system is far superior to a standard toolbar. It isn't even close.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Yes, I can see elite pvp'rs doing htis hehe. I myself will limit my skills/spells with my alignment and my role play, and will have to tweak it from there. :)

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It was sort of a joke post, but it isn't a stretch to imagine something like this. If somebody was more efficient against swords using his fire deck then he might switch, but the other guy might switch too. Then they might switch back. It is totally possible.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

I think Lord British hit the nail on the head when he talked about how the glyph system was reminiscent of his days fencing in college. (For those who don't know what I'm talking about go check out the latest SotA hangout of the avatar)
    They really seem to be attempting to capture the unpredictable nature of combat and how things unfold in a real scuffle. All the training in the world cannot prepare you for what might happen in a fight, luck of the draw and the constant shifting of positions on the bar demonstrates that to a degree. It's not a perfect system and it definitely requires refinement but I do not think it should be thrown out, I really think it has allot of potential.

Isaiah [MGT], Kaisa and Time Lord like this.
  13. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Pretty sure that solders don't forget how to fire there guns or what grenades are

Joviex, AdamZax and Apollyon9515 like this.
  14. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Sad thing is I have put nearly $1000 into this and was willing to put in more but the micro transactions, the complete abandonment of the single player group and this making my powerful Mage have alzheimer's... Well all I can say is this is U9 all over again

Joviex, AdamZax, Ahuaeynjgkxs and 3 others like this.
  15. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Agree 100%. Compromise has its limits. There's playing it fair, and then there's giving too much.

Joviex, AdamZax and Lord Albert like this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"The Realism!"
    Nail on the head and sometimes the thumb with some strikes just making circled imprints in the wood, I do think this system adds so much more realism through it's unpredictability of opportunity. If all were set in stone where every blow was available and always worked, then fencing wouldn't be a sport at all.

I'm looking forward to even more randomness in my fun deck preference, when Lord Richard and his team of gaming Guru add even more fun and exciting spells my Avatar can cast.

"The Graphics!"
    The graphics attached to the glyphs are both colorful and flashy which makes my Avatar look compelling for me to keep wanting to see what our Portalarium will give us next!" For me, it's all about the spectacle of how my Avatar looks while I'm engaged with him on my computer screen. This helps me empathize with my Avatar and want to see him do ever more spectacular things... and our development team is no where finished with the animations yet, which means that there's so much more for my Avatar as we continue our game's development.

"Avatar Animations & Movements"
    This is an area we've seen improvement in! But still, we are only in our second phase of animated combat development. Right now, my Avatar does "bust a move" when he makes a special strike, but I looking forward to our development team creating even more moves for our Avatars to make. We do have 2 dances we can emote, but I am looking forward to more in this area of our game as well. In some other games that are in their beta, I've seen some amazing dance moves which have become big focus points to those game's designs and within our SotA, I do think we are headed for more our Avatars can perform. But our development team, unlike those other games, has stayed a course of quality within everything that our game has been testing in it's "alpha testing", which makes me believe that when our game reaches it's beta, that our Avatars will be far superior in all things related to all things.

"Our Ever Deeper Ultima Development Method"
    Our game has been moving into production of it's world in stages, where we first were shown one city to walk around in with our reward housing to walk through, which demonstrated Portalarium's deep commitment to meeting their promised vision for us all and in showing us first, "our pledge gift housing", they did satisfy through that demonstration their commitment to us all!
    Now they are diving into the nuts and bolts of creation, in combat, the overland map, other city designs, different weather, landscaping, NPC depth of personality interactions and the list goes on... There are so many things that we need to fill the world with, yet Portalarium has been dedicated to only quality, and that quality has been shown to us, in the ever deepening of our game's evolutionary creation, where nothing stays the same and everything always gets better for a more rich design.

"What I don't like about our combat system"
    I want more of it, and I want all of it, and I want more, all and now! But I could say the same thing about all our game's development, "because I can't wait to see it all!" But I'll have to wait so that it can become a full and rich atmosphere of fun or it will be rushed to production just as others are of less quality. One of the things that I've come to realize about our game having some Unity Graphics Assets incorporated into it, "this does not mean that those things will look as cheap when they are enhanced by our great graphics team!" In other games that have used Unity Assets, I notice that they look simple, plainly rendered and dull with no depth for the eye to view as a more realistic world. This is where our graphics developers have taken the plain and enriched it into realism. It's not a cheap looking world at all. It's deep and getting enhanced even deeper!

"Only 9 Times to Even See It"
    I haven't been able to count past my fingers yet, and I can't wait to begin using my little piggies to count our progress with...
    [​IMG]
    Make Sure to Stay Tuned for That :)!

Jynx and Asclepius like this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm a fanboy too... but theres limits to my credulity.

In a combat you might want to use your sword but it dosen't work. Not only blocks and dodge but also special abilities and magic. You can still use your sword... and if you don't realise the opponent has a special defence, then you need to practice.

Theres plenty enough randomness going on... you can fizzle a spell... maybe if the opponent dodges really well you swing back right at yourself and take in damage, forcing you to use a shorter sword if the opponent is too good at dodging.

etc etc... we can go on for days about GOOD ideas to enhance the unredictability of combat.

You guys are simply trying to veil the incompetence of whoever is in charge of making the unity/cloud architecture because it cannot handle more info than a game an amateur would make with a simple developpement package like windows Azure.

We're taking shortcuts and its painfully obvious... as I said I will love the rest of the game, but this is plain wrong.

Joviex, AdamZax and Time Lord like this.
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I am beginning to regret putting thousands into this too (I even subscribed my best friend)... especially that now my car which I had checked up before investing decides to overheat randomly for no apparent reason. I put so much money so fast because I tought our game would be released this winter... heh. Now theres a chance I go without a car, and without a game I enjoy and not only that, portalarium could have done without my money cause apparently we're pushing release date back indefinately ?

This is painful... as others tried to convince me, this is a bad gamble... they told me there is no true king left, that its all a dream being sold to me.

Maybe they were right ! I understand why some of them couldn't be bothered to leave UO... heck if our game cannot entice people from a 15 year old game... what have we...

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    If you need money for real life reasons there should be no choice :). I had the same problem with my pickup overheating and it turned out to be simple though. I had a air bubble that got stuck in the engine block that stopped the circulation of the water. Hopefully it could be that simple for you. A mechanic can hook up a pressure system to your radiator and push it through.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That sounds exactly like it !!! you're a genius !

hahaha well see theres reasons I invested this money !

You guys are so cool... and I meant it... its just that you are so full of prejudice for some type of people. Not everyone is "normal" around here, tons are probably just shy to use the forums because we're all so "casual".

Pardon me my friend Time Lord but at first you didn't come off as so streamlined at first ?

Nobody would ever go out of funds to play a game they're passionate about right ?

I was passionate about the idea cause last time I checked on King Gariott he was planning to make a "collectible social game" that looked much like farmville, it was announced on his website and all. Then I knew it would take a few years before maybe he ***FEELS*** emphasis, the amount of passion he created in some VERY LOYAL old school UO players. Then I tought he would make another ultima/spiritual sucessor...

But no, I think a mage has been randomizing the cups in front of my eyes here. The dice is gone...

Anyways, its not like my little thousand mattered in the big picture, even if it was honestly hard earned on minimum wage (yes you can laugh at me I'm a grown man and still stucked with crap jobs because of unvirtuous biggots)...

I'm all I can be right now, you can add an avatar his hands will dance the same, you can add a shroud my voice will still boom the same, you can add a bleeding micro-transaction system while I'm ready to pay a subscription to get regular content because our gaming niche is MATURE and knows what it wants...

wait what did I just...

there we go again...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.