Why "card deck" combat will be skill based

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Amaranthus, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vjek

vjek Avatar

Take it up with DarkStarr, Chris, and/or chillblain. I have no further interest in semantics jousting.

2. aevans

aevans Avatar

I've had a similar thought, not sure I've posted it anywhere.

One option is to have the imagine appear in relative positions (left to right) based on which combat bar slot it is going into.

I think I would prefer it to appear in the bottom right portion of the screen and move to the combat bar slot during its fade in period. Something about the location on the screen feels right for me to see additional combat related info.

It should even have the number of the combat bar slot somewhere on the image so that once you see that image you also know what slot it will slide into without having to watch it slide. And of course these variations of appearing and sliding into place can be toggled on or off per user preference.

Clannad likes this.
  3. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Since I know you have access to it, you might want to re-read this post here:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...iss-combat-description.4005/page-6#post-74371

It basically follows what I've been outlining, and if it truly meant your skills get replaced randomly on your ui then things he covers in there wouldn't be possible. I'm certain he misunderstood your question and was talking about what abilities come up. As I would have as well because, I'm sorry, but many of your questions you worded very ambiguously, I don't know why that is, but I've seen it many times when you ask questions, even in the weekly dev questions. I think it seems to me like you try really hard to narrow down a particular subject, but you leave it so wide open to interpretation because you didn't get specific about what exactly you want. Maybe you are looking for a more open response so they can elaborate but I think it just confuses what you want to know.

My advice would be to try to make your questions more direct and to the point. Will new skills appear randomly in my hot bar in combat or is there some order or rules it follows for which slot new skills will be placed. Makes a lot more sense than: Does this mean Active Skills ONLY appear randomly during combat?
    Specifically, is it true that Active Skills cannot be used, nor do they appear, via any other mechanism except appearing randomly during combat?

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

No it doesnt. You are obviously ignoring what we are saying. All that repeats is the deck BUILDING portion of precombat. Does that help make your skills that DROP INTO RANDOM SLOTS more predictable? Yes, but they show up in random slots nonetheless.

I seriously think you are merely paying the post count game at this point, and if you truly belive what you are saying, it will be an interesting conversation when combat comes out.

Cheers.

vjek likes this.
  5. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I'm 99.9% certain that when combat comes out, or if darkstarr was asked my question, they will say, yes, your random skill will be placed in an open slot closest to the first slot and moving left to right. It's the order we see in the video. It's the only way some of those points mentioned can happen, such as saving abilities for later use.

Doing it any other way simply doesn't make sense.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Its as random as it can be as code that calculates supoosedly random things can be. Just because you can effect the frequency of cards out of combat doesnt mean its not random

Time Lord and Ara like this.
  7. Veylen The AenigmA

I dont see why they think they have to always shoot for realism. I would much rather have it be fun at the expense of some realism since it will never be realistic no matter how hard they try the should just focus on making it fun. I know they are trying to make it fair for bubba in the sticks on dialup but the combat shouldnt suffer to cater to a few ppl still living in the 20 th century

Time Lord and BillRoy [ab] like this.
  8. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I agree with not needing to worry about realism too much...if Kung Fu movies and Pro Wrestling were based on solid realism, nobody would watch them or care. They became popular because they were dynamic and fantasy based, realism was not expected or wanted by the fans...watching golf and poker will never be a big thing and attract much attention (even by people that like to play them) because they are boring.

Time Lord, mmjarec and NRaas like this.
  9. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

I'm not saying all games have to be realistic. I just asked a somewhat off topic question about an mmorpg with a combat style. Do you actually read or do you pick up key words and run with them without paying heed to what was actually said?

Time Lord likes this.
  10. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I just usually just respond to the last 3 to 5 posts, I figure that's the "current topic".:rolleyes:

You asked about "is there anymore realistic game with feints and blocking and such" *para-phrased from my poor memory.
    War of The Roses, and Chivalry. Both cool games where there is a lot of info on YouTube, and they are avalable on Steam.
    They aren't "pure" MMORPG, but they have the combat style you mentioned.

You also commented that flight simulators don't have to be 100% real to be realistic. I agree.

Time Lord and mmjarec like this.
  11. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

Thanks I was actually replying to mmjarec but I, for some reason, didn't quote him.

Thanks for the suggestion too.

Time Lord and BillRoy [ab] like this.
  12. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Aaaaaand right there is where your argument loses weight in my book, neighbor. It was a well put explanation of what is GOOD about strategy card games, but the only response you had to one of the true, legitimate, concerns about it... is hope that a solution will be found and a suggestion that we wait and find out.

The vast majority of us are literally, physically incapable of doing anything OTHER than waiting to see if portalarium has a solution (some lucky few work there), and I think everyone on these forums HOPES that they will. I'd be impressed, though, if people were finding actual solutions to the problems we've seen.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Veylen The AenigmA

Maybe because you directly asked about realism?Even if it wast am i not free to post about whats being discussed?

Time Lord likes this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

There is skill in deck building. There is skill in manipulating that deck via Focus skills. But your deck is randomly dealt. Skills will appear in any open slot starting left to right based on the prototype UI. If you use a skill in the third slot then the next random skill gets placed there provided the timers on slots 1 and 2 haven't expired or they aren't locked. It's unclear how locking works though. Do you lock a skill as part of the deck build and it also gets randomly dealt and when dealt it stays until used? Or do you lock any skill once it appears and it stays until used? We don't know yet.

Time Lord, NRaas, vjek and 3 others like this.
  15. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

My worst fear is that the system would not be "easy to learn", i pretend to play with my wife. She cares about craft and trade items, but if she cant get a minimal nice experience with combat i think maybe we will not be able to adventure together.

MalakBrightpalm and Time Lord like this.
  16. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

That has been clarified, You assign the locked skill as part of your deck and it counts towards the minimum number of skills needed. These will change out as you change your deck. Those locked skills will be available to you to use what requires testing for balance is making the skill available immediately or making a warmup or cooldown or additional costs. Whatever makes it balanced and useful. It will in no-way be random or require a draw.

I would think they could make it available immediately, there are focus skills that you let you get more skills as soon as you enter combat, so you aren't waiting the 2 seconds per ability to come up, you might start with 5 right away.

Time Lord and smack like this.
  17. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

They have said they are going to make it start very slow so you really wont have a lot of options right off the bat, you'll be starting out with minimal things to mess with and they'll add more to it as you progress, so it wont have a steep learning curve to get into combat.

Also keep in mind, many fights can be completed by just standing there. (it wouldn't be efficient, but it can be done per the devs)

18. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

That its what we need xD (for my child)

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Well I might have used the wrong words there, they said you could beat many encounters with normal attacks, that might mean in addition to healing potions and bandaging.

but difficult/challenging encounters will certainly require you use your skills for combat if you want any chance to win.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Amaranthus

Amaranthus Avatar

I hope that, like a few others have suggested, they make a slightly bigger deal out of skills appearing on the hot bar than in the clips they have showed us. That you get a bigger image, possibly somewhat shadowed or translucent that pops up for a second or two somewhere else so that you know with no doubt which skill has jumped in. I find them a little too subtle in the early video clips.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.