Why "card deck" combat will be skill based

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Amaranthus, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I believe as we use it, we'll know where each skill will be going next. we'll be anticipating it because we'll be familiar with it. But in case that doesn't turn out to be true it's easy to make a new skill glow briefly. (They quickly added it to the crafting materials)

Time Lord likes this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

That's where the other focus skill of replacing the skill near or at the top of the deck so it gets dealt immediately again. If all locked skills are dealt first, this would conflict with that focus skill. I still see this eventually being a locked slot to place a skill in, with prioritized skills favoring those first during the deal.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I don't think locked skills are dealt at all, per the description:

Locked Slot - By default skills are dealt out to the slots periodically, but by training in focus skills some slots can be locked and always contain a specific skill. Skills in locked slots are always noble and cannot be combined with other skills.

That skill you are talking about, you would use it on non-locked abilities.

smack and Time Lord like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Reading that again, you're probably right. When the combat bar comes up, it is likely pre-filled with your locked skills and those are available immediately. The focus skill to place an unused skill that's already been dealt back near the top of your deck again is just another benefit to manipulate non-locked skills then.

5. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

Fact is, if this makes it as a core part of the combat system, skill in this game will mean skill with this system. You'll need to know what skills can be combo'd in what ways, how effective those combo's are, and how to properly build your deck to capitalize on that. I do see some skills as abilities I would "lock" (for example, the Moon magic spell that lets you become invisible while stationary, or a spot healing ability) but other than that, I'm excited to see what sort of synergies will come about. As a theorycrafter I'm excited, as a TCG player I am VERY excited.

The system very much reminds me of Mega Man Battle Network. Which is a game that I played CONSTANTLY.

Locked skills will not be able to be combo'd with other skills. Therefore, if you go up against someone who's using a well-built deck of skills with plenty of synergy, you are (most likely) going to get destroyed every time.

NRaas likes this.
  6. Ara

Ara Avatar

That is why locked skills wont be an option in a 1 vs 1 if you want to be competitive in PvP.

Why should i nerf myself by locking my skills?

I will have to use the random, luck based card system if i want to compete at same level as others.

7. monxter

monxter Avatar

I have an idea how to handle combat: card throwing competition. We could take out the luck factor by implementing an accuracy minigame!

[​IMG]

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
  8. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

There might be a few individual skills worth locking, something that's already got a lot of utility, or one particularly good CC ability that you always want to have at your disposal. I think the most competitive players will find many different unique ways of building decks, including locking skills. I don't think it will be completely overlooked, it will just be minimal (1 or 2 locked skills, no more)

9. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Maybe card based combat just doesnt work with mmos. Afterall it was designed for a completely different experience. To me card games should stay on the card table. Cards were probably designed as a visual representation of combat and for ease of understanding the processes involved in a turn based combat system. Im all for nostalgia but its a bit outdated now we can actually visually display what cards represented. So unless they are using the card system moniker as a blanket statement then it should just stay on the nerd table imo. We have advanced beyond the need for such things. Its like using pedals to drive a car instead of the motor

10. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Go HERE if u like cards game.

Personally, I can not wait to test this idea.
    I also have doubts, but i am hopeful that this will be interesting.

11. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Card games are for people who dont have electricity and computers :p

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
  12. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

100%:D

mmjarec likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.