Why do we still require gathering to level crafting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solstar, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm not that paradoxical.

You on the other hand, "explaining" to me of mechanics that can be exploited ? For what purpose ?

It's to be expected that even if people can accept that we're moving forward, they might not agree with said moving forward, hence the feedback on these boards. I'm just voicing otherwise subconscious intellection, its easy to say "if you're not happy go elsewhere" its harder to put yourself in other people's shoes.

Like someone who played ultimas since he was a kid for example, and that sudden unexplained evolution seems to go against everything he learned, and I do not say it lightly.

Is it bad ? I'm not losing sleep over it... I just wish I can play a real Lord British game once before I die. I don't care if its another game or another server. I just think its fair to imagine that HUGE changes like this would be kind of presented or at least postponed for discussion.

Like removing stamina... death decay... you don't want to see the full list.

The goal is not "do this because I think that I know whats best and I will tell you how I would do it"

the goal is that when such a HUGE change is presented that its done in a way that is respectful of what many people here still love...

so that people who cling to the little bits that are left have a chance to see the light...

2. mass

mass Avatar

This doesn't make sense to me. The RMT market is entirely based around raw materials and very few producers are able to RMT their goods.

For most production crafting, the bottleneck is not building xp pool; it is the application rate of the xp pool per craft. The reason to build pool for raising crafting production is to increase the per craft application of xp, thereby reducing the amount of resources needed to advance crafting skills. Raw material RMTer's love this system. You don't need much adv lvl or producer lvl to be a 24/7 miner, so there's no hindrance there. You can advance production skills with much less exp pool if you buy raw materials with cash (because you can apply that smaller pool with more individual crafts with more raw materials), so no hindrance on a heavily incentivised raw material RMT market there. As long as raw materials are valued for their ability to level crafting skills and not for the products they can potentially produce, they will be radically overvalued in the market. Combine that with the fact raw materials do not require player skill, but simply player time, make these commodities an RMT Botters perfect scenario. You want to hinder botting and raw material RMT? Provide alternative pathways for crafters to level skills that take similar time but are independent of raw materials. Reduce the demand of raw materials to that of how much crafters need to produce desired products (not junk to level skills).

Alternative pathways reduce the urge for people to macro if there is a way to advance skill without highly repetitive activities.

The crafting system could also use a more logical return of materials from craft failures and salvaging. It doesn't need to be true to life, but clearly there is a vision for 'silver scraps' and 'gold scraps' and various specific components beyond 'metal, wood, leather, and fabric' scrap.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Well, here's a side solution I've come up with for new players primarily. I'm paying them a little bit of gold to process the materials for me. I could probably get away with doing it without the gold reward since they don't have to gather the materials, but I like the idea of running my factory like a factory, complete with some meager wages.

So if you see some new players who are frustrated because they can't craft as much as they would like (or you are bored and want to come mill some wood) send them over to the S Mart Factorium when I'm online. I've got a few thousand wood that needs milling at the moment.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and 3devious like this.
  4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Oh yeah, one other mention, this whole thread is why I was really sad to see the 10k crafting XP leave the Oracle. So you saved the crafters from having to go harvest 20 nodes. Why was this a bad thing? A casual could get 70k xp in a week, then burn through it quickly on a weekend and feel like they are a "Real Crafter!" instead of having to spend that time adventuring.

Why subsidize only the Adventurers, who have XP all over the place anyway?

Just to be snarky for a moment, I think the primary method to getting Adventure XP should come from using the Blacksmithing table. Let's see how well that flies.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and mass like this.
  5. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Sadly gathering is one of the weaknesse of the game, and the system is too simplistic imo. You guys added some good points in this thread. We played games 10-15 years ago with a more interesting mechanics, so I can't expect less now for sota.

At one point in the future, I hope we can get something like SWG had back in the days, an interesting deep and rewarding gathering system.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  6. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I find one of the things that really kills crafting is the ability to level all crafting skills. How can there be any inter-dependency or community if we can make everything ourselves. Also, who's gonna buy my Darkstarr Fried Oysters or Aqua Dyes if everyone else can make them. Very frustrating.

I spend ALL my gold on two things: crafting and taxes. I have yet to recoup my crafting expenses and I sell commodities!

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

We've sadly been telling them for 3 years :(

8. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Well the idea is that it stifles botters because at some point, past GM especially, it's horribly inefficient to slam resources into production skills with low xp pool. This would be limited to a far lower percentage of rich people who could afford to do it without caring too much. Also, it would cost more to build a crafter account to sell than the account would be worth, so it also stifles account grinders. Not sure if that's the actual reason for the OP's question but it could be part of it.

9. mass

mass Avatar

If botters were interested in those outcomes, I suppose it would stifle them some. I suspect most botters' sole interest is to farm raw materials for RMT rather than power leveling crafting. The risk of getting caught is much less with the former.

Numa and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  10. Derium

Derium Avatar

ehhhhh, no. UO at least has imbuing and runic reforging. You can reforge and get random stats (narrowed down by more powerful uses), or you can just imbue and literally pick the stats you want on the item.

In SotA you just roll the dice, over and over and over. Oh, also in UO, if you don't want to risk the item breaking during something like enchanting, you have more expensive options. UO literally built the perfect system. Player crafted items are better than artifacts now. Crafters can play the RNG for cheaper, or get exactly what they want by spending a lot more in resources. That is a crafting system done correctly.

I mean, they even allow you to remove properties from items. Don't want that 50% damage increase on your weapon? Not a problem, use an expensive item to remove it and you can just imbue the 50% DI onto a ring. Giving you one more free spot for a weapon mod. It's beautiful and it's a fun system that actually allows for a player ran economy.

Numa, Katu and bigta1982 like this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Isnt sota letting you aim for exactly what you want by rerolling, and letting you keep stuff from exploding by tossing resources at it??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.