why people hide in friends - to avoid the griefers!!!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by liz_the_wiz, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Me too. And I almost never come across anyone that is not awesome in all respects. Very happy to play with everyone.

Thwip, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Numa like this.
  2. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

I think the reason multiplayer is more fun is because the presence of others makes it more interesting. It's a richer experience. People are amazing.

Thwip, Elwyn, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

They made a sequel, and LOTRO... thats normal for a medium size studio, EA is much bigger and structured differently, they are still patching the game actively.

But I think Berek prefers if we stick to the subject at hand, why people hide and the reasons that push them to do so.

liz_the_wiz and Numa like this.
  4. Numa

Numa Avatar

Same here though I don't frequent the popular areas that much. I suspect that those zones are where you're likely to find problem players.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Tahru like this.
  5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

To keep it simple I think the culprit is that there was no "breaking" period for the PvE oriented players, we just shoved everyone in the same world, hoping that they would compete (that was an intended goal) but as I've said it since the early releases : its important to leave the PvE progression curve out of this, eventually and only a few people will want to compete, game trade routes, contraband and all other amazing systems suggested by the devs or players that we want to implement.

Many, just like my girlfriend will frown and quit at even the single mention of a possibly irritating encounter, even if they play by the game rules. In fact I know many people like this, they will react unreasonably to any type of pvp violence... someone that ignores you and kill steals is a form of violence, it tells to the player that the game isn't designed with roleplay in mind.

I can think of many solutions to this problem... but it will anger the pvp players unless you amp up their offering and functionality.

Stundorn and Numa like this.
  6. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

10% is 10%. It's not more, or less. It adds up at exactly the rate of 10%.

Barugon likes this.
  7. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Open world PVP is going to have bullies - that culture is rife with them and that's never going to change. Open world PVP is going to make weaker characters' lives miserable once in a while, that's a fact that's also never going to change.

All I can say is be glad there IS a friends-only to go to. That mechanic is a first (as far as I know) in the MMO world. How much easier do you want it?

8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Random input here as i dont really feel like debating with the rest of the thread.

Could you link where they break down that 10% bonuse for @SmokerKGB ? I never got around to giving him actual link to the source of that, nor do i rememebr when it was put in.
    Bonuse points if someone could link where the PVP bonuse got toned to 10% for verification.

i know its in there, but i cant find the release notes specifying it for him.

@liz_the_wiz Side note, i know its frustrating. And while i equally play the PVE grinder who jumps on any PVP player i see, as well as farm in PVP mode quite often. Or if im not in the mood and being griefed i go OUT of my way to steal each and eveyr mob *as @Andartianna pointed out, out of pure spite lol ...
    I am overall not a fan of the way they implemented it. Its neither good for the PVP crowd nor goof for the PVE crowd. Its unappealing to try to bait people into fighting you and call it *PVP*, and i hold to my opinion that people might think its some guy on the other side thats having SO MUCH FUN stealing your mobs... but the reality is its just someone whose absolutly bored.

I want to fight someone right now, and all the pvp zones are empty. What are my options? Run around and hope someone else is running around flagged, or try to bait someone into fighting me. Me personally when im not flagged i jump all over the PVPer. But this doesnt mean im saying its a good system. It simply not.

The worst part is you now have the PVP exp bonuse, which was an incentive to get more people to flag in the open world, so now you got PVP flagged people who simply want nothing to do with fighting players, just the extra exp. This is another slap in the face for people who actually want to fight other players. A lot of this frustration is why you see so many people trying to bait.. Its simply boredom.

I wont bash you for being annoyed by it, but i wont take your side on hating on the PVPer.
    The mechanics need to be better.

I know a lot of people are actually agaisnt the implementation of a few zones that round everyone to the same skill level.. but im actually for it. Its a damn step in the right direction.
    The wya i see it, theres still competitive areas for people who push their skills up.
    But an addition like this can be used to do real guild wars, or group battles, putting everyone on the same level. This is something we simply DID NOT HAVE before.. so thats a good thing.

I also dont feel that its a *best gear wins* Scenario, as when on even playing fields ... deck rotation and use of skills + strategic dancing/cover and all that **** actually comes into play, instead of strongest nuker wins.
    Its not the best, but its something IMO and maybe this will dilute some of the boredom of the roaming PVPERs, who end up griefing / hassling players just to get SOME excitement *the hope someone fights them* . Unfortunatly the small player base left here, the average skill level is easily 85+ .. if not higher, i would be surprised if you DIDNT run into someone that high or higher as a new player. Maybe be more balance of levels of PVP roamers if the game ever gets the Population... but i dunno. I know most the PVP crowd is gone, and most of us who still care about it have lost the energy to keep talking about it.

theres a million ideas on the forums and discussions. Not much reason to repeat about it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Stundorn and liz_the_wiz like this.
  9. oplek

oplek Avatar

Why do people keep calling this "open"? It's not open-world PVP. It's massively restricted. The fact that someone found a mechanic, to pester someone else, isn't an equivalent.

Again - the entire premise of the post was opposed to this being a solution. It's directly stated as the thing that's caused by XYZ. It's not about being easy - it's about people being jerks.

10. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Word.

Solazur and liz_the_wiz like this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

As much as this sounds right, I still say never say never, the problem the devs have is not controlling those people (in fact oracle is one of the most extreme systems I've ever experienced, it squashes all my roleplay into oblivion) the problem is that they do not understand "them" enough to make it feel fun to be "moderated"... so that there isn't an outrage in the remaining pvp playerbase, quite the challenge :)

Not everyone has the luck of being ambassador to the xorinite and get information downloaded live into their brain matrix style :p

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol only going to elaborate on this because you tagged me.
    With the open world PVP flag, theres no way they CAN remove the ability to attack a PVP flagged person when un flagged.
    Currently if a PVPer comes in my zone, i jump them instantly. This is the cost for them for the extra EXP.
    Its exactly the risk/cost i pay when i run zones flagged.

That being said, i backed the game thinking the PVP/Guild War features would be amazing. So with the sheer focuse of grinding, and the need for a PVPER to put in 800+ H of pure grinding just to be competitive (probly more now, that was 3 months ago) its a weak weak PVP game, and the EXP bonuse for PVP doesn't really make much sense... nor does flagging outside pvp zones. Personally id rather the reward in PVP zones was slightly higher, and people had a reason to risk going there.
    The problem with this, is you have the PVE crowd cry and ***** that this is unfair because someone they see that as *forcing them to PVP* when in reality, all it does is offset the risk/ransom of fighting other players non stop.
    When the 25% EXP for PVP flag was first put in, i made more experience NOT flagged then i did flagged, because of the constant pvp action. But i stayed flag for sheer enjoyment.
    Then it became bout who could hide in the zones flagged the most.
    Then as the bonuse was dropped, it went back to playing in FMO because it was just faster and less hassle to level.

Honestly, they need to find a reason to make shardfalls worth going too, and honestly they might as well remove open world pvp.
    But w.e I dont get paid to make these decisions, and its exactly why i only play SOTA the odd ball day between other games now.

Summary -
    Deliver on the Guild Vs Guild promises.. and make some Unique. The current feature is NOT guild vs guild, its an insult to the whole description of the feature.
    Theres so many ways you could implement a better guild wars mechanic, and itd be nice if they would actually devote to doing so, instead of trying to justify the weak , weak, weeeaak ass excuse for the current GVG system.
    Maybe theres some big plan with control points, but the little bit they have released about it doesnt sound very good to me.
    Blight

Edit -
    People using the intended in game mechanics are jerks? Maybe the in game mechanics shouldnt be so weak and basically force PVP orientated players to have to hassle people just to find someone to fight?
    Nah as always, blame the people, and not the weak mechanics the players are trying to find SOME kind of amusement with.
    Theres a simple solution to avoiding someone baiting you. That almost makes *griefing* not a thing...
    Griefing is when your doing something that i have no solution too. Intentionally ruining my game. AT MOST the most another player can do to you, is make you switch modes. And i would argue that you make more in FMO then MMO, then sharing a zone. So even if the player WAS co operating, techinically at most they can do, is take mobs from you.

Next up it will be people complaining that someone speaking another language is griefing because they didnt understand they wern't helping?

A new guy asked me a question, and i had to stop killing things to read the chat. Hes griefing me!

I find players in this community are so loose with common definitions of things its redicoulous.
    This goes right back to yelling out troll everytime someone says something mean. Griefing everytime someone inconveniences you, and is in line with RG saying i can *Conquer a Town!*
    Most games would have a different response to these issues, that would just offend most people here IMO..

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Word... unfortunately.

Common courtesy isn't common. There is always going to be an as... jerk in the sandbox that gets off on throwing sand in other people's faces, and kicking over their sand castles. More's the pity.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

At least you didn't say never :p

16. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Of course, I can't speak for everyone on the PvE side, but I think that most PvEers are perfectly happy with PvPers getting things to make the PvP experience better, provided it's not done to the detriment of PvEers. I think there *ARE* things that could be added to PvP to enhance it, capture-the-castle type things, without any detriment to PvE. I think most PvEers can get behind those types of suggestions. What, I think, creates a strong anti-PvP backlash is when someone suggests yet ANOTHER carrot or stick to push people into it who aren't interested.

Make PvP compelling, don't compel everyone to PvP.

Adding *more* rewards to being PvP and/or in PvP zones isn't going to help; all it's going to do is further drive a wedge between the those who want to PvP and those who don't. It's not a zero-sum game; PvP can be improved and made compelling without doing it at the expense of the PvEer's experience.

curt, Elwyn, Stundorn and 3 others like this.
  17. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

PvP is not suitable for everyone, nor is crafting, nor is mining. Do what you enjoy. Have fun. I do.

I perma-flagged a few months ago and find the small PvP community left in SOTA are decent and cool people. We know what we are letting ourselves in for. I want people to attack me. I hope people attack me. I go around looking to be attacked. If I die, it's just part of the game.

Most of the time, we just see another PvP flagged player, say hi and move on.

But I welcome anyone to attack me on sight. Please.

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Word.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Oh... I have been personally attacked, slandered all over the place for suggesting some things in that sense... the excuse people gave me was that if the devs start working on some of those systems, the PvE side will get less love etc...

In fact the people who opposed it were such bullies that noone even came to encourage me, exept a few likes here and there.

I am starting to agree that Portalarium at this point should think about dropping pvp altogether, until players are happy with release, then give it a second pass when there is dev time to give without hurting the "main" experience.

20. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

A couple of things to keep in mind:
    1. A like is generally a vote in agreement. It's not always followed up with a post because often people don't think they have anything to improve on what you've said.
    2. There are a number (although, I don't think it's a lot) of very aggressive PvPers on the forum who never pass up the opportunity to express their opinion of everyone who isn't perma-flagged PvP (and let's just say, it's not flattering).
    3. A substantial portion of the suggestions are things like special resources, faster resource spawns, better npc loot, better XP, making PvP scenes more interesting than PvE ones... all of which only serve to make the PvEer a second class player.
    4. We've got a history of implementing things that benefit PvPers at the expense of PvEers (almost everything listed in 3). That makes the PvEers crowd a bit more sensitive about anything surrounding the issue.
    I think there's already a good-sized wedge in the community over the past developments on this front, I'm not sure how easy pulling it out is. (Of course, nothing worth doing is ever easy)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.