Why the needless emphasis on housing?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Tarsilion, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Thanks, Mystic. I understand that. What it implies to me is that there are limited plots (as they have said all along) but not limited deeds. So there will be more deeds than plots. Is that not correct?

I was also told that the deeds will be rare, as the same housing deeds/designs won't be sold in game. So it still might be a good investment. Only a risk if you can't place it.

2. 3devious

3devious Avatar

If you don't see the other comments, you're spending more time talking than listening. There have even been people supporting posts of others raising this concern. People aren't just being dismissive in saying this is tired. There's plenty of admonishment in the locked thread, the Cost thread and even this one. This has been going since late November. Look, my point is that they've thought about this. It isn't like they don't know you feel that way. I'm sure folks have been sent to cool off or something because the people saying what you were saying only louder don't seem to be around much anymore.
    I know you want some positive reinforcement from Portalarium or at least the people you view as being on your side. You're not going to convince some people that you're being treated unfairly. We're don't seem to be able to convince you to wait for what you've said to be able to sink in over in Austin.
    I can tell you to shut your trap (put the banhammer down and stay with me for a sec Mystic and Koldar!) but Portalarium has to have at least one meeting about this before they can respond. This kind of has gotten to the point that we've gotten as far as we can get without an official opinion on the matter. I'm asking you to just give them some time and not get too frustrated when you only get responses from dorks like me.

sent from the future using my Coleco Adam

Time Lord, Joviex and Tarsilion like this.
  3. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

While this is not at all the topic in this thread, let me comment as this is one of my favorite topics.
    As you write the input for the formula is a model based on market surveys, previous experience and other factors. The formula itself give you a result no matter how silly the model is that you used, provided basic features (the functions to be maximized needs to be differentiable, etc.) are fulfilled. The crucial part here is not applying a formula but figuring in relevant factors which is much harder when human behavior plays a role.

One word of warning as well: Most economy classes do not teach this mathematically rigorous and - from scientists point of view - adequate, which is why professionals in this field working for consulting companies, banks and insurances are almost all mathematicians and physicists. Moth economy majors do not shine in math, which I experienced first hand before teaching them university level calculus.

Time Lord and Caska DiFumarate like this.
  4. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

I seek no such thing, even though I have already gotten some =)
    I just like to discuss things in great detail. Let's call it a professional obsession.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Golem Dragon and Koldar like this.
  6. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I completely agree. I hope that it's a good model that has steered this and something viable comes out of the other end. Joviex and Isaiah, this is what I meant about "Sausage Making."

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Then why did they tell me it was a risk to buy a house deed and no plot to start?

*Edit: I think I was not clear in how I stated it. There are 2 distinct categories in which to invest: 1. A house plot. 2. A house deed.

You can buy a house deed, but you cannot build it/place it unless you also have a house plot. I was told it was a gamble to buy a house deed if I also did not buy a house plot, as house plots are limited and house deeds are not. House deeds would be an investment, i.e., you could sell them to people who own a house plot. But unless you own a house plot, that house deed is virtually worthless. Maybe a rare item you can sell after the game is launched if you can't buy a house plot.

8. Maka

Maka Avatar

Why the endless emphasis on housing?

/buzzes in

What is because I love it Alex!

Time Lord, Tarsilion and Caliya like this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

@Calya

To be honest after reading what had been written, that was the only phrase that came into my mind. I always find it amusing how people post trying to rationalise or prove the business plan that Portalarium isn't good. Firstly they are not even privy to the business plan, they have no idea on financials......in fact they know nothing other than what they are aloud to....people are talking about business models in a thread about housing and they don't even know how many housing plots are available...... Once again they know nothing.

Do I want this thread closed? ..... Yes as it will be the same as the other 3.

Time Lord, Lord Baldrith and Maka like this.
  10. Maka

Maka Avatar

So you're saying without facts, metrics, financial and business plans we don't truly know what is going on? :)

11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Exactly

We know the progress of the game based on what we see, we know what some of the future releases contain based upon what we have been told.........but seriously how can anyone really comment on the business model with credibility when they don't even know what it is.

12. Maka

Maka Avatar

All I know is the model s working on me cause they dangle carrot and I want to throw money at them. Grats on moving to lord!

Time Lord likes this.
  13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

They know what they are doing, they have done it before and learn from past mistakes. I think at times people need to just sit back and relax about some of their decisions.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Bah, I do not care about business plans!

What I am discussing is much more related to a question of virtue, and a moral dilemma resulting from conflicting interests between funding the game and good game design.
    How could anyone liking the Ultima series take offense with such a discussion, even if it were purely hypothetical?

To narrow down the topic I reduced it to housing and the choices that seem most likely given the current situation.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I think you are misinterpreting DarkStarr's comment. He is saying that the add-on store will never sell more than is available in game. This does not say the lot deeds will not be over sold in game. (it does not say they will be either)

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Notice Ristra, that her question was about buying a house deed without having a lot secured. That is quite different from what you answer.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

There's no reason to print more deeds than lots. Some lots just might be less desirable than others.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

They will have to make more plots available than they sell.
    Otherwise no one can ever lose their plot if they stop paying rent or leave the game they keep their plot deed, so they will have to be infinite to provide them for anyone that wishes to buy one in the game.
    If a lot becomes free its UO a dash for the Plot so everyone will buy one that wants a house to be ready for grabbing it.

Tarsilion likes this.
  19. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

For initial release they will not over sell plots.

Koldar likes this.
  20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I did notice, but...

These is a reason I made my post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.