Why the needless emphasis on housing?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Tarsilion, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Vendors are not an issue if you can get a house you can place one. I think that's a true Statement. I have not mentioned vagrants vendors.
    The Threads about Housing.

Caliya and Tarsilion like this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

No Wagram......just no.

Just like many of your other posts in similar topics you throw out reckless and misleading comments. Then when proved wrong you make a statement trying to convince everyone who read it was obviously reading it wrong.

You need to think before you post.

3devious likes this.
  3. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

I agree that is a true statement. I apologize I must just caught the tale end of the original conversation. I just wanted to clarify that vendors can be placed without a house, in case there was any confusion.

Tarsilion, Caliya and wagram like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Right. And vendors are not an issue even if you don't have a house. And no, they wouldn't be called vagrant vendors. They are dutifully employed and are doing their jobs in designated locations (bazaars).

Tarsilion likes this.
  5. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Not to be nit-picky, but he never claimed they were called vagrant vendors, he just stated "I have not mentioned vagrants vendors." =)

6. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Ah, someone with an actual opinion instead of complaints about starting a thread.

Might I inquire, having to accept the situation as it is (them having included housing), do you think housing should be sold as a "core feature"
    either to further backers or upon release?

7. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

They would be owned by Vagrants.

From Wiki

A vagrant or a vagabond is a person, often in poverty, who wanders from place to place without a home or regular employment or income.
    Both "vagrant" and "vagabond" ultimately derive from Latin word vagari "wander." The term "vagabond" is derived from Latin vagabundus. In Middle English,

Caliya and Tarsilion like this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

Still incorrect. You're implying that all non-homeowners that have vendors are vagrants. That would be a severe overgeneralization of potentially 26,000+ players.

3devious likes this.
  9. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

So, how to fix what I described? What would be your approach?

10. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I was reading all the tiers of the link you posted, and it's interesting to me that they have more than 60K backers and 2.9 mil raised so far, without housing like you say. Or anything other than a notable presence in the game like a shrine with their name, or game credits. Now maybe I want to play that game. lol Thanks for the link :)

That's been one of the points some have made all along -- couldn't it be more creative in what they offered backers, rather than locking out lower tiered backers (that don't have the financial means to pledge higher) and future non-backers?

I realize people get upset when you challenge the decisions made by the developers, and don't want us to chase off potential new backers. I don't want to chase off anyone, but I do think some of us speak for those who are on the fence and maybe it could help development if some of these things are seriously considered. And no, I don't think they haven't considered any of those things, nor that they're stupid and don't know what they're doing. But isn't that what a community is for? Getting input to assure you have happy customers that want to play and continue the game?

What if everyone twiddled their fingers, waited for the game to come out, and sales flopped precisely because they didn't get input as to why people were turned off to the game?

I also realize people say this topic been discussed ad nauseum. But unlike the folks fed up with the topic, many of us haven't been able to sit by our computers all day and read & post in forums. You know, some have a real job and real life. Just like if you're in the stock market, and it interests you, you talk about stocks all day, all year, for years. If people don't like the topic of stocks, they don't go out with stock brokers. If they are fed up or bored, they have lots of other places to go than to troll a forum and insult newer members and try to get a thread closed.

Aegis159, Gunga Din and wagram like this.
  11. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

While I agree with the second part of what you wrote, again you made a mistake. It was not wrong in the first place so it can not be "Still incorrect"

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I would suggest we wait for a dilemma before we work on a solution.

5 tools were sold then a 6 was made for a 6 pack deal. There is no situation of negative value as of yet when it comes to housing. There is only speculation.

Shadow and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. G Din

G Din Avatar

I wouldn't have implemented housing like this at all. I would have used Inns (instanced housing) , similar to how in Star Citizen everyone gets a hangar regardless of pledge level.

The Inn

I understand the draw of housing, but this game doesn't have the typical MMO Backend. In other words, it can't handle mass housing for all so it probably wasn't such a great idea.

14. G Din

G Din Avatar

Yes, I actually backed Wasteland 2 before SotA and Star Citizen. That 3 mil was just at the end of kickstarter, I'm not sure how much they have raised since.

Based on all I've seen between kickstarter games, I have the most confidence in Wasteland 2. (over Sota and Star Citizen). I think Fargo was wiser in what he promised and what he took on to accomplish.

Tarsilion likes this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

I'm still bummed I missed out on the Wasteland 2 campaign. What's the current release date now? I know they slipped from their Oct 2013 release date and are only in Beta now. I'm already getting a free copy from their other project so not sure I'd want to pay $60 for the Early Access on Steam.

16. G Din

G Din Avatar

Well I got a recent email that mentioned that they would allow further beta access at the end of the month at $10 for late backers. So keep an eye out.

I've been playing Wasteland 1 all over again lol. Easily one of the best games ever.

Tarsilion and smack like this.
  17. G Din

G Din Avatar

** I should point out, I've given up my housing option and no longer have property in this game **

I'll be playing a wandering Ranger, but The Bear Tavern has offered me a small corner of the basement to rest my head :)

One reason I mention this, I don't believe people should not back SotA simple because they can't afford housing.

Housing should not be the reason you pledge this game. A rich RPG with story should be the draw.

So if you are on the fence about backing because you are concerned about housing, don't sweat it, and just pledge what you can. There should be plenty to enjoy even if you can't own a house.

18. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I've also joined The Bear Tavern. Wandering gypsy fortune teller, am I.

19. smack

smack Avatar

But are you still Evil?!?

OSullivan likes this.
  20. G Din

G Din Avatar

Of course, one reason I had to give up my house....can't be Evil and have people know where I live...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.