Will Hostile NPC's loot players ever?

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Robby, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robby

Robby Avatar

Will the ever even *gulp* carve our corpses and harvest them(see the cannibalism threads). Im talking NPC humans as well as monsters.
    I want to try to not to turn this into a PvP/PvM type of argument. I feel that this is important to discuss though, because I think that determining what kind of challenge NPC's and monsters will have for us in the game is just as or maybe even more important than the PvP/PvM arguments that have went on.
    So, heres what I think could work in terms of NPC's looting players: NPC's will follow the same exact loot limit that is layed out in PvP... but instead of ransom perhaps you could simply reclaim the item by slaying the monster who looted you(though with less durability). And to prevent this from crossing the boundaries of PvM to PvP, you could program the game so that any loot that an NPC acquires from a player's corpse will not be lootable or even visible to any other players but the original owner. If another player slays the NPC who looted, the item is instantly returned to the original owner(the player who slays the NPC will likely not even know the huge favor they had just done). Of course the NPC would have to be slain within "x" amount of time before the item vanished. And yes, the item will be damaged even if it is returned by another player slaying the NPC. Will NPC's carve our corpses if they are the savage or cannibalistic type? Well, first of all we need to see if such activity will even be allowed in the game. But I guess if they loot an organ it would be the same as looting any other item. Its useless to you when you rez(because you get a whole new set of organs upon rez) so, if the NPC chooses to carve and loot an organ then your pretty much safe from losing any valuable goods,
    I think lower tier monsters or unintellegent monsters should not loot period, since it just wouldnt make sense. A zombie is not going to loot, neither is a bear if it happens to slay you(might eat your flesh though), and a slime doesn't have brains, so it probably has no use for your loot either. What do you all think?

smack, Maeryck and WebTeam like this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

smack and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  3. Robby

Robby Avatar

I see in this post in the death section that having your equipment returned to you upon death will decrease durability and all... I guess that pretty much covers having some sort of "sting" for dying and all.. And they mention being looted by a "creature" or player is possible. Though you wouldnt be looted by a player if you were not PvPing.
    So, while the durability decrease on death sounds pretty effective and all.. What about NPC looting? The mega post was mostly PvP oriented I don't feel that there was much attention given to the idea of monsters looting us players. Would that be too much of a sting for there to be an item missing from our inventory along with decreased durability to everything else? This would mean that to get the missing item back you would have to re-equip yourself somehow and hunt the NPC monster down that looted you. And, there will be times that you just aren't going to reclaim it in time.

I guess so long as items will break someday the economy will be just fine. But maybe the extra sting of being looted by a monster would add extra challenge to the game in a good way... Though re-equipping myself and hunting down a monster was always a pain in the neck in UO... It actually seemed to just break immersion more than anything. Perhaps there could be some better way to go about doing this. Because the "quest" you are on is halted till you rez and re-equip then slay that critter that took your weapon, it was purely a hassle and the quest never adapted to this and at least make the death a "sting" yet at the same time at least immersive.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think it would be cool if they did loot something from you...not bone dry though...that would suck a bit.

Maeryck and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  5. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

In Ultima Online, I remember still a day, on which I had almost all of my looted possessions carefully packed in a bag.
    South of Trinsic just behind that bridge, I died to a bunch of NPC bandits combined with lag.
    Did see one of those guys looting my corpse, while I went to the nearby healer. While he resurrected me, he cried for the guards - and of course they followed.
    The brigand was history - and with him my nicely filled loot bag ...

Or you recalled to a rune from an untrusted source, which did not lead to the etched in West Bank of Britain, but into the center of the Lich Lord dungeon room. Well before the screen even loaded you have been dead - and these guys looted as well, without any chance for you, to even get back to your corpse before it decayed, forget to get back the looted stuff.

From that time I have mixed feelings about NPC looting.

6. Robby

Robby Avatar

Well. If your corpse decays after a certain amount of time all the items are lost as well. And what was written in the PvP mega post(im trying to stay away from PvP here!) our items all come with us when we die with less durability. Much simpler and less of a hassle perhaps...
    But a part of me thinks this is much to easy. So long as items do permanently break after a certain number of repairs this is definitely going to be a significant sting and all...

But I just got a thing for looting I guess! =P
    It just seems more, immersive? When you know that not only your items break on death, but that if your slain by an intellegent creature it might grab something from you it likes.

7. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

I think it would be awesome if a mob could loot your corpse. Then you have to fight him to get it back... OR just leave it and when the next player kills the mob it becomes a part of that mobs loot.

Lord Baldrith and Maeryck like this.
  8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I think it would be interesting if they took particular things from you. Some you could get back. Others, they just run off with. A bear steals some food, a vagabond has an eye for gold etc

smack, Maeryck and NRaas like this.
  9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think RG has stated that he'd eventually like to see bosses drop loot they took from other players.

10. Robby

Robby Avatar

Im definitely 100% for something like this. So hopefully this feature can be brought to the game without too much conflict.

11. smack

smack Avatar

I definitely hope that some named MOBs / NPCs loot from players. Some will be item-specific others might be random or based on type of creature and what they need/desire. I just want to see these named MOBs walk around with an ear necklace that came the players. And if you kill that MOB you can loot it and see who all those ears belonged to.

12. wmidgard

wmidgard Avatar

im not against the idee if it is used sparingly .
    the problem i see happening is that :
    where did you die ? if it was a random map section you just enterd for a bit of xp/resource hunting well GL getting your new sword back.
    (do you remmebr the exact spot on the map you used to generate it ? ).
    i woud like for it so onlie named monsters can loot your important stuff and common mobs just comsumabels.
    named monster = specific monster in a dungeon or some other static spot so you can always go back and you know where to find him ( or ask someone where he is locatid ).
    important stuff = my weapons/armor/gathering tools
    common mob = generic monster aka skellie 08 or dire wolf 134
    ( GL finding that specific skellie in the dungeon was it 2X right and the second door on the left or was it a right left and then the 3Rd door )
    thy shoud onlie steal consumabels like :
    wolfs or other animals woud steal a bit of food if you got any on you.
    mages or other spelcasters might pinch a few spellreagents.
    other inteligent NPCs might steal your flask of ale or some other drink you have on you .

ps: if you implement this olso make it so we can give items to a npc so that the next person who kills it can loot the item .
    it can be quite a bit of fun to just do sillie thing like giving a chamberpot to everie skelleton in a dungeon just to hear the coments of those that kill them .
    or shout out you just gave 1K gold to a rabbit in the newbie zone right outside the castle and watch the newbies charge out and try to find the rabbit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.