Will you be part of a Kickstarter/Pledge for the next Episode release?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vallo Frostbane, Sep 24, 2016.

?

Will you pledge in the second kickstarter (Episode 2) and at what level?

1. Same as in Episode 1 Kickstarter...

16.0%
  2. Greater than in Episode 1 Kickstarter...

13.6%
  3. Lower than in Episode 1 Kickstarter...

24.5%
  4. I will not pledge in an Episode 2 Kickstarter...

45.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

Didn't vote,

We are currently speeding down the runway...

If ep1 goes well I will spend some for goodies; but, it's way to early... Let's get in the air first.

2. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I already will receive Episode 2 from my current pledge. The only way I will be a part of an E2 KS will be if they include pledges with "compelling" items.

Mykll, Tahru and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

still waiting for them to fulfill the episode one kickstarter:
    [​IMG]

Vaiden Luro, Mykll, Kaisa and 5 others like this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I realize that this is a bit off topic, but I wonder what everyone's interpretation of "compelling" items is. Obvious things that people complain about are compelling, such as instant transport, encumbrance immutably, superman strength, free gold, free skills without earning them, skill depreciation immunity ... I hope none of those are even considered because, for me, they all represent game-breaking cheats. However, I doubt any of us can accurately guess how far the developers are willing to go, especially since they legalized gold selling (the ultimate sin).

Mykll and Koldar like this.
  5. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

@Tahru
    maybe start a different thread with two lists - what is and what is not considered compelling items - while remaining realistic and fair on both sides..and of course reasons why each item in the lists..?

Tahru likes this.
  6. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I will pledge during the next Kickstarter.
    I'm pledged to Citizen during Kickstarter. I did so on the the reputation, history and integrity of the team. When Starr Long entered the fold it increased my faith and enthusiasm. Nothing has changed. Indeed, the integrity and capabilities of the team have been demonstrated frequently. I'm not looking for anything in return beyond the ability to see Portalarium construct their dream. I'm happy to give a bit of my disposable income to see that happen.

Thwip, 4EverLost, Vrunk Hrrk and 4 others like this.
  7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I have to say thank you. I may not agree with you wholeheartedly but you stated your opinion concisely and not demeaning anyone else. Well said friend. :)

Mykll, Acred and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  8. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I see comments like that made regularly in many pre-game communities. But sadly, "It's gonna get better..." and "It's not finished..." can only take you so far.

If anyone's sitting out there thinking, "My god, this combat's a hot mess... but it's going to change completely and be awesome one day..." I believe you'll be disappointed :(

The game is closer to completion than not, even if not technically "ready" yet. And that's why, as far as I can see, a ton of people have decided they won't be back for Episode II.

9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

you got that from this poll alone? i don't think you math that much.

at the moment i'm reading this, there are 79 saying they will not pledge in an ep2 kickstarter. many people pledged high enough already to not HAVE to pledge any further, and still get entrance to multiple episodes like myself...if it gets that far, so i don't HAVE to pay another dime.. but i STILL plan on being here as long as the game is live.

if that is the case for me, i guarantee there are others in that category who will also be back for more, just not paying this upcoming go-round.

the other categories are all stating that they will be here for episode 2.. that is 124 (as of me typing) saying they will be here.

so... 124 saying they WILL be here, and somewhere under 79 saying they won't spend more, but NOT stating they won't be here...

my math tells me the exact opposite, even with this very small sample of the game's community.

10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Er... no. I got that from being a long term member of the community who keeps his ear to the ground, both on this forum and out there, on the wider web, where people are more open with their thoughts.

It's not rocket science.

11. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

As I said, your welcome to your opinion. I'll stand by mine. Time will tell. *shrugs*

12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I think they started it to early, but why wouldnt they? Just goes to the cause.
    Once Episode 1 is complete or nearing completion, ill see how i feel abouti t and if its still the game i think it can be, and on right track i see no reason to not continue supporting it. How much will depend on how much enjoyment i feel ill get from it + if theres a pledge reward im interested in .

Way to early for this discussion tho lol

13. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

I don't have a clue what Ep 2 entails, so it's impossible for me to tell you if I would pledge more money to the game. I still haven't left the starting zone as I'm waiting for a more "Complete" product. I am still optimistic though as the direction the game is going in. It's looking alot nicer now a days than back when I first dropped some coins in their laps.

4EverLost likes this.
  14. Silis

Silis Avatar

Basically this here. The number of people in the forums that cannot handle playing a game in development is astounding to me.

15. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

My thoughts exactly. I've spent thousands already. I will not be spending more in another kickstarter.

16. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

That is why I am debating, I voted for (Lower than in Episode 1 Kickstarter) I don't like the health/power regen changes .... NO FUN .... And if I have to pledge more then what I already have, then I am done ... Can't keep spending that kind of money for every Kickstarter they plan on doing, I already paid , I thought for episodes 1-5 .... why would I have to keep paying more? I don't mind spending a lil more money, but it should not be mandatory in order for me to be able to keep playing....

Mykll, Ravicus Domdred and Ice Queen like this.
  17. Last_Crusader

Last_Crusader Avatar

Why do they need to kickstart an episode 2? Why don't they just sell even more housing and cosmetic items *yawn*.

I'm not sure I like this episode or even have seen enough to Kickstart an episode 2. Episode 1 isn't even close to done yet really is it?

18. mass

mass Avatar

I’ve posted a few times over the years why that Kickstarter rule is important and it seems to fall on deaf ears (or rather blind eyes). As I’m uncertain of how productive this discussion is, this will probably be the last time I post on this topic.

Referring to the quote above, Port either doesn’t understand its importance, doesn’t care about its importance, or simply disagrees that it is important. Whatever the case, it is one of the essential mechanisms of protection that backers have against projects failing or not meeting expectations. There are many reasons why a project might fail or be poorly received, but this rule is supposed to protect backers from a slew of them. Here is what this rule accomplishes:

1. It prevents fully funded projects from failing due to an unfulfilled expectation of additional funding coming from non-Kickstarter sources (such as venture capital from outside investors).

2. It protects backers from additional funding requests when it turns out the initial project goal was insufficient to complete the project (such as ‘telethons’ and ‘add-on stores’).

3. It protects backers from the project failing when those requests for additional funding fail (e.g. in #2).

4. It protects backers from ‘feature bloat’, that is, adding unlisted features with additional fund raising that add to project completion time.

5. It protects backers from being entitled to pledge rewards that funding has not been secured for (e.g. episodes 2-5).

I certainly don’t intend to ‘lawyer any bros’, but I hope Port can at least see the expectations that come with a Kickstarter funding campaign, and how their actions potentially violate those expectations. It’s a shame to create customer dissatisfaction for your game, based on issues that have nothing to do with the actual game.

If Port insists on funding Episode 2 with a Kickstarter, I suggest in the project summary they put in bold:

“The funding goal represents an amount that will partially fund the content in Episode 2. Additional funding from outside investors and our virtual items store will be required to complete our project goals from this episode.”

If that flies with Kickstarter and backers, then more power to you.

On a final note: Overall, I like the game. I like the promise of what’s to come in the game. I’ll support Episode 2 in some way. But please make an overt attempt at transparency when you raise funds to satisfy customer expectations. Final suggestion: Don’t use Kickstarter, draw people to pledge on your store where you make the rules.

K1000, Mykll, 4EverLost and 1 other person like this.
  19. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Most of the existing money IS being spent on content NOT systems. Read the standup notes, art and design is 4x the staff of tech. This is why $$$M budget RPG rarely provide new systems on updates, because they know it is content that gets people back into the game. Even new tech requires new content (e.g. ESO added ability to steal which was considered tech, but it required new quests, new armor which is content)

So you should not expect a lower price tag, especially given the amount of missing tech that is pushed out of ep1 in favor of pushing out content. And to counter the expected response, yes artists are not programmers, but they both cost money and time which is a limited resource pool, so the company does have to make a choice between artists and programmers based on their priorities which currently seems to be out of sync with the existing funders priorities.

As a post kickstarter benefactor I don't think this poll applies to me since I missed the first kickstarter. But the only reason I funded the game was to be able to play the game without any grind or cash to afford monthly fees, so there is no longer any incentive they can promise that gets deeper into my wallet. The only thing they might do is say that was a lie, and if you want to live on a new continent the old tax-free deed no longer applies unless you fund the game again. For sure I will write this off as a loss if that happens.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    4EverLost and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  20. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I think you do such people a major disservice by painting them all with the same brush with a comment like that.

I, for example, have crowdfunded (on Kickstarter and many other platforms), more things than I care to count. Many of them have been PC games.

I have been delighted to watch the pre-alpha, alpha, beta, etc, progress of those games. Sometimes they have delivered real gems (Pillars of Eternity comes immediately to mind).

As such, I'm more than comfortable with the process. I understand how it works. Again, I've done this stuff more times than the average person. So. I. Get. It. OK?

Yet if I say that SotA isn't very good, or that combat's a hot mess, people like you label me as not being able to handle a game in development. What a joke and far from it.

I can point to systems that haven't changed much in 6 to 12 months (and therefore likely to be the direction the game's heading in now we're persistent), and comment accordingly.

It comes back to this thing you see in communities where people are convinced that stuff which is clearly set in a certain direction is suddenly, magically, going to change. It won't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.