Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

World Map

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by E n v y, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Going to keep this short and sweet.

Looks great
    Please please please please please increase the speed of the character......its too painful atm.

2. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Yes Look big difference also big change in Deep RavensWoods but I had to log off for work
    lot of other bugs bugs bugs

Time Lord and Arianna like this.
  3. mike11

mike11 Avatar

decrease the vertical of the avatar(s) and make everything more snappy, please.

the new look is a def improvement.

Lyran and Time Lord like this.
  4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Loving the changes to the map.....so much better

5. Resurrected

Resurrected Avatar

DEV+ access only at the moment?

6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Yes... breaking things for them so they can fix it an roll out a better release for the rest :D

7. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Big kudos to everyone working on the world map (Chris?). The progression the map has map from the initial introduction is amazing. It is really starting to become a joy to walk around/explore on.

Lyran, Asclepius, Time Lord and 5 others like this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah it is really cool. I know my way around this area, but I zoned to somebody and when I left that location I got lost. If I didn't have a compass it could have been really tough to find my way to where I wanted to go.

I think that is a good thing. Sure we know the land mass by now, but imagine a new player wandering out into places they've never been before. UO for instance north was always UP to the Right. This map can turn around, and if you aren't careful or watching where the sun is, then you can get lost, and that's cool.

Maybe in the future part of the new player intro could have, the NPC at the beginning can say he is giving the player a compass (which is why we have the compass mode available) because it is possible to get turned around and lost in the wilderness. It could just be assumed it is in our inventory after that. That might a good heads up for new players since they do not know this land at all and there are no ways for them to drag the map to see what is beyond anymore. They might consciously make an extra effort after that to make sure they keep track of where they are going. That's fine because they will really feel like they are exploring.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

World map is cool but annoying that movement is slow in EVERY area including the roads. Please don't torture us with slow movement.

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It should be slower I think....too fast and it makes the map pointless..distance becomes meaningless.

However I think different terrain should effect movement speeds...roads should be faster for instance.

11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Due to instancing, we have delay while instances are loaded. That's part of the deal.

But we also have excessive delay while walking through the overland map. It's unnecessary, non-immersive and annoying. I don't feel like I'm sloshing through a swamp, or climbing a mountain. I feel like I'm being arbitrarily impeded to get to an instance at which I'll be further delayed while it loads.

Forest speed = mountain speed = swamp speed = 1/2 road speed. Why bother? Just let us wander the (beautiful!) map at a good clip. Not rocket speed. Just a good clip.

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Why bother having different speeds for different terrain?

Well, there has to be trade offs to wandering over hills and swamps instead of using the roads....and a negative to use the roads(higher bandit activity?) It adds a level to movement and the map to make it so you have a reason to take the roads or wander through the forrest....

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I understand they may pull us into scenes more frequently if we use the roads, and travel speed is an incentive. If I understand correctly, we'll be able to avoid the scene/opt out of instancing (after it loads!?!?), so again, what's the point of slowing us down.

Regardless, the road itself is too slow not to mention inconsistent (sometimes fast, sometimes slow depending I guess on which tile you're on).

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Truth is that myself and most players actually want to spend our game time in the scenes not on the map.......at the moment, the movement is way too slow. If that puts someone like me off who has backed the game to the hilt, I'm not sure it is going to convince new potential players.

We need more speed.

Time Lord and Budner like this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The map should be made interesting enough to want to be on it...not a speed romp to whip through to location to location. If no one wants to spend any time in it, then they need to make it more worthwhile to be in. note I said that it should have different speeds for different terrain...So yes it would be faster on roads slower in the wild. I'm not sure what most players want, I don't speak for them, I just think the map should be interactive as possible.

I don't really think how much you donated affects my opinion or new players opinion for that matter.

16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well it shouldn't be inconsistent...obviously that isn't their plan. Speed along roads should be faster...and you should not be able to opt out if you get attacked on the road...that's just silly.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

This is why everyone has to pledge for the horse mounts stretch goal :>

Seriously, though, I agree with rune that the reason for terrain impeding movement will become clearer as the game is more developed. Personally, even at its current state, I don't feel "tortured."

I'd like to link here to my suggestion on handling road travel on the map.

18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

This is more to do with the fact that the speed is that slow people simply won't want to spend time on the map. I have no issue over it being fast and slow depending on terrain, however the whole things needs speeding up.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Missed my point entirely ...... I guess you will have to wait for the steam launch and the map speed being near the top of the complaint list before you see it.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

I very much like the new and improved feel and style of the overland map and however love to travel there and to spend time on it exploring. Imho a slow moving speed makes the map more meaningful and adds to a big-world-feel. Hopeing that more and more reasons/features will be added for spending more and more time on the overland map.
    A reason why I dont like to change scenes often simply is the loading screen/delay. This unfortunately takes me out of immersion every time. Hopefully this will be adressed soon and swapped with a smoother transition. Many including me have made good suggestions how to improve this.

gtesser and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.