World Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rune_74, Jan 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh yes, I also think it would be better to just have an in-game map object for the world. They could also have regional maps, etc. Maps of Quel, Grunvald, etc. I mean, the idea of zooming out to a 2D map is okay, but I think an in-game map object just fits role-playing better and is consistent with the gameplay they created with other map objects. There could also be a version of the in game map with the POTs and without them, for those who care about that.

Ice Queen and smack like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

Yes, agreed. You'd have to have the world map, or parts of it at least, in your possession.

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I agree! I like @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos believe it or not. I just get a little pissy when people are too demanding. He is good sauce, just in need of a wider spread than this game. :)

4. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

The community did not demand change but consistency with the kickstarter promise
    We did demand sticking to what we had been presented when they did the kickstarter.

Different view then yours.

Because wrong expectations had been set to us customers prior the map.
    The Kickstarter Trailer and the talking about the vision of the overworld map did not match.

We all had the kickstarter trailer in our minds with the flying dragon in the oveworld map and a moving tiny avatar.

The seed was in our brains.

I also backed a game telling me there will be no instanced housing.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Ice Queen likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Some people in the community, myself included, thought the other map was fine. Was the overworld map we have now closer to what was pitched during the Kickstarter, yes. But everything in the Kickstarter was and is subject to change. There's no moral high ground that says just because there was a dragon flying overhead in the prototype there will be one in the finished game. If we're going to go down to that level of detail with Portalarium, then we're not going to be very unhappy with the results. There are all kinds of details in that prototype that will never be in the finished game. It was a prototype, not a blueprint.

Myrcello, when you say things like "the seed was in your brains" I think that's overstepping. It may have been in your brain, but I couldn't care less about it. It's true that many people didn't like the map, but it's equally true that many people did. I think it's best to speak for yourself and let other people speak for themselves. In this case, the changes to the map took considerable resources, time, and money that could've been spent on something else. While I personally have no problem with the developers making that change, what I do have a problem with is some of the same people that asked for that change now showing up and saying "What's taking so long?"

It would be nice if Portalarium could at least get credit for listening to the community and making changes they asked for instead of constantly being beaten up for not sticking to every minute detail from the Kickstarter while simultaneously being told they're too slow to release the game.

Manerd and Logain like this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I have issue with people thinking this took "considerable resources, time and money" when ot clearly has not been as resource intensive as PoTs. Also, the kickstarter is not as quicksand as some like to make out here, you make promises on there it is expected you fulfill them, it isn't up to the developer to decide he wants to change the game in fundamental ways, even if that wasn't against the rules it would clearly be ethically wrong.

Ice Queen likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

The big difference between the overworld map changes and POTs is that POTs more than paid for themselves and they added additional player interaction to the game. It may even be that POTs helped indirectly fund the changes that allowed for the overworld map changes. We may never know. But to say that POTs took additional resources and money away from the core development of the game is not true. The developers hired additional resources, and community members paid for that. It may be true that POTs expanded the scope of the game and thus increased the overall time. But no more than the overworld map changes, the use based skill changes, or the addition of the attunement system, just to name a few major changes that have happened over the last two years.

The overworld map went from 2D to 3D, I don't see the great value in this. I realize there are others who do, which is fine. I also realize some people don't see the value in POTs which is also fine. But I'm personally quite happy about POTs and look forward to seeing them expand into focal points for the entire multiplayer "end game". I think many people are going to be very happy what we took the small amount of time to include POTs, and the few loud voices that don't like POTs will be drowned out by the reality that they're actually quite good for the community.

8. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Multiplayer/Net code.

Its easier to have 1 person(LB) online in the game running around seeing these things.

Now add many people, and SYNCing those elements so we all see the same thing is much more difficult.

If it was handled CLIENT side then people would see different things as it would be solely on their PC (think of the book and deco we can pick up, we don't see each other take the books because they are client side.

Now if they are SERVER side (which they will have to be), this takes a good chuck of processing power to track all wildlife/caravans/ext and project them so all clients see them correctly.

This is I would presume the largest hold back, as they have not yet upgraded to the new servers they have, which will improve vastly our experience and their capability to expand server features like this.

9. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

OP is really R25 feedback. Can be remade as R26 feedback, R27, R28, Etc till rune_74 sees some progress.

Might want to make different commentary in the OPs of future feedback as the comments in this OP are obvious and not very helpful (despite being true). As if 30 Devs don't know that the overland map lacks life and at present is full of unused potential.

"I like how the dragon drags you into an encounter in the NW. Can we please see it on the map so we can try to avoid it? Getting 1-2 shotted is something I'd like to avoid."

"When the wandering merchant is nearby can we see a little wagon on the overland map that we can zone to?" Also can you put something interesting/unique in his/her inventory that is worth checking out?"

10. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I could not care less if you are saying that everything presented at kickstarter is subject to change.

From Kickstarter legal requirements:

“When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward,”

They define a project on kickstarter.
    And based on that information we invest.

I think Portalarium is getting huge amounts of credit from the community.
    And support.
    There is not a constant getting beaten up.
    They are getting help moving and suprise events. Pizza delivered from the community and videos and countless more support.
    I am not worried that we are to ruff on them if we say what we do not like.
    I think they are capable of handling us very good.
    They had to deal with harder challenges then some critical posts.

Don't you worry for them Baron.
    They can take care of themself.

But I have seen very,very supportive backers leave taking the reasons with them feeling it is better to keep it with them as post it here and cause negativity.

Sad.

Ice Queen likes this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

I think you're missing some key points here, Myrcello. Read the following to see what the reality of Kickstarter fulfillment is.

http://appealingstudio.com/backer-b...aigns-are-overpromising-and-under-delivering/
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang/posts/989911
    I got back zero from CLANG, btw.

12. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Ice Queen likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

14. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Now that is a cloak! That's what I want, instead of the capes we have now!

15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That video is badass. Why does that look better in many way than what we have now.

16. Drocis the Devious

Because you don't have as good of a computer as RG?

No, probably because it's a prototype and that's literally all it does, what you seen right in front of you. If you peaked behind the curtain there would be nothing, the "game" would crash. It would be the end of the flat earth and you'd fall off. The world map actually looks very similar to what we have now. The just need to add the roving encounters and the animal wildlife as well as some of the atmospheric effects.

Tahru likes this.
  17. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Lol throne of bone...love it! ;)

Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Everybody has the throne of bone.. no big deal!

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Tahru,

I was watching that video again and noticing that the deer springing across the road on the map probably could never be caught by a player, so there's no worry about an encounter.

But in the game as it exists today, we have a random encounter with horses passing the road and one with deer along the sides of a forested road. So I can imagine on the map seeing several deer springing across the road, and if you catch them at the right time, being pulled into that encounter. Or horses, etc.

So maybe a combination of that and wildlife hanging around in forests.

I still think, and as @smack said too, you have to be careful how you do it, so players don't expect it to work exactly like a roving encounter, but maybe its doable.

Tahru likes this.
  20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I highly doubt whatever they brought in from PoT's have paid for the over years worth (So far) on them. The difference between the map and PoT's is one is part of the original promise the other is a object added due to small set of backers demands.

There is absolutely no proof that they "paid" for themselves or that they have added to a better whole. Whereas the map is tangible and is used by everyone. PoT's are still being worked on at this point, I would also say it is safe to say they get more attention then the map itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.