Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Wrist pain after 30ish minutes of playing

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Sir Niccoli, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

The point isn't how he is or isn't moving his mouse, the point is that if 99.999% of other games do not cause this fatigue, something is going wrong with this game.

2. vjek

vjek Avatar

Q & E track the camera in R2, and also while running (double-tap W) No need for the mouse at all. Just WW, Q & E.

It's certainly not where it should be (keybinding/mouse improvements coming soon/in R3, according to DarkStarr) but it's a big jump up from R1, at least.

Margard likes this.
  3. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

Waiting outside the "Lunar Rift" to New Brittania

You're right. All of a sudden after years (20+ of gaming and working in computers) I'm doing it wrong.

The mouse control is poor in the game, as a result, my wrist started to hurt, I stopped playing. It's great that it doesn't bother you, but the design right now is POOR. Please, stop the arguing of how it's my fault somehow.

The sensitivity might work for some, that's great, it doesn't for me and based on some comments it's not working for others.

I get you want to be helpful, but I'm not changing my behavior for one or two games, which must have poorer design in mouse implementation than the many many many other games I play now and have played in the past. If it's something that doesn't change, I won't be able to play and enjoy the game, glad I could back it for those that could, I guess.

Mishri, vjek and NirAntae like this.
  4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yes, there is a point, He should never experience pain from using a keyboard and mouse. I'm trying to help him to make sure he is using it properly so he doesn't end up like other people with chronic wrist and joint problems from improper posture and positioning. The game doesn't cause pain, it's how he is using his devices.

1) THERE IS AN ISSUE WITH THE MOUSE BEING TOO SLOW.

2) YOU SHOULDN'T FEEL PAIN NO MATTER HOW SLOW IT IS.

I hope that makes my points clear.. I am trying to HELP, you don't have to be defensive and give me how long you've been using a mouse. My dad has horrible computer posture and he has been using computers before you could buy one for the home.

5. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Also, I am not currently experiencing slow mouse like was in R1 so I am also trying to narrow down the difference between our systems so we can report it. I assumed they had fixed it.

And I'm sure you wont have a problem in the future, I expect they'll implement a mouse sensitivity in game, plus rebinding keys for things.

hehe "I'm not changing my behavior for one or two games" well, I used to be the guy that ran around the office fixing people's postures for "safety"... I knew the stubborn people who refused to do anything. I'd have to report they weren't following safety standards... luckily for you, you are at home and can do as you please :)

6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

There are two ways to get mouse input. 1) Raw mouse data. 2) Filtered data from the OS.

Many games take the raw data (no speed/acceleration) and filter it the way they want it to give the people an experience that is relevant to that game design. They can put on their own speed, their own accelerations, etc, and let the users modify that within designed constraints.

Some games take the OS filtered mouse data (with speed/acceleration) and use that. The problem is that everyone has their own settings that may or may not translate from the desktop into the game. To make matters worse, different OSes filter the data in different ways. Mac, Linux, Windows, heck, even Windows 8.1 changed some behaviors that had been consistent as early as XP.

It is my understanding that Unity uses the filtered OS data, at least in Windows. This would explain some of the different experiences from people. On the other hand, a problem mentioned often is that it takes too damn long to turn. This is easily fixed in the game by offering a slider to change the multiplier used in the game. That may allow Portalarium to get around writing their own speed/acceleration routines. Perhaps we'll see that when they offer remapped controls in R3.

But to simply say that it's the users who are causing the problem, and not the game, well, that's just ignorant.

vjek likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The windowed mode vs fullscreen mode is a good point. People who are having trouble should also mention what mode they are using.

8. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I was talking about PAIN. PAIN is user caused. Get your facts straight before you call me ignorant.

9. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

The point is, my posture, is just as you describe it.

I use an ergonomic chair, because I've got a bad back (which is really because I need to lose some weight).
    My feet rest flat on the floor, because it hurts when they don't (I hate chairs that are too high).
    Ergonomic keyboard, because they cause far less strain on the wrist.
    Mouse, I keep the movements as low as possible, to avoid repetitive strain. (movements probably in the range of 1-2" on a regular basis, occasionally farther)
    I do all these things, because if I don't, it's uncomfortable, and I really never want to have Carpal Tunnel or wrist issues, because that would totally suck and screw over my gaming addiction.

That final point, I cannot do with the current state of the game for me. I either need another 6 inches of mouse mat available, or the sensitivity could be adjusted so it's not fixed as it is currently.

I did a test, I tried to spin 360.
    If I moved the mouse slowly, which seemed to be about as fast as the movement of the character allowed, I'd only have to move it 4-6". I just laughed at the fact I said "only".
    If I move it quickly, I can do a full circle after going all the way across my 17" mouse mat.
    In both cases, it's about a 4 second count to do a full 360 degree turn.

Out of game, I decreased my Razer to the point where to move across my screen I had to move my arm across the mat. I go back into game, same results as above. My mouse has no control over the speed of movement of the camera in the game.

Final testing is just mouse pointer in game. It does respond to mouse sensitivity adjustments.

So you are correct, I am not using correct mouse posture playing the game right now, because I cannot due to the low sensitivity. Most of my play probably had me turning my wrist (as you mentioned) when moving around and turning the character. So in that respect, yes, I'm doing it wrong. But it's not because of my actions, it's because of the limitations of mouse turning with the camera control. Unconsciously I was definitely moving my wrist more to try and compensate for the slow turning.

In the end, my wrist still hurts, and the game is not playable for me, until they fix the turning sensitivity. I'm not going to start moving my entire arm 6-12" to play the game with a straight wrist, as that's not particularly great for your overall use either.

10. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

But when mouse input forces a change in behavior, it's part of the problem. Sure, I am definitely compensating, now that I watch, but it was unconscious due to a fixed expectation of how movement should occur. If I could adjust the speed of turning, I would not have to compensate, which would avoid the problem in the first place.

Mishri likes this.
  11. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Hehe.. this is pretty close to the posture thing I used to have to hand out to people with bad posture.

[​IMG]

So are you in full screen or windowed mode? I'm just surprised we have same mouse manufacturer yet we are seeing different mouse movement speeds, mine seems to be the same in both windowed/full screen if I remmeber right, I only did full screen briefly.. oh and what is your resolution?

I'll have to do some testing when I get home but i barely had to move my mouse to get it to go across the screen, using a 24" 1080p monitor. (actually using 2, but only 1 for the game)

12. vjek

vjek Avatar

For me:

Full screen or windowed, 1920x1200 or 1024x768, mouse acceleration min, middle, or max (in Control Panel | Mouse), trackball or normal mouse.

All exactly the same. No difference at all, even slightly, regardless of changing any or all of the above settings/devices.

It takes exactly the same number of mouse actions to turn 360 degrees, holding down the right mouse button.

13. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

I have the same turning speed in both Windowed and Full Screen.

vjek likes this.
  14. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

Nice diagram, honestly I don't see how people can stand having the poor posture and work like that for hours.

As far as resolution, I'm still old school with non-widescreen, so that could potentially be it. 1600x1200

15. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Oh.. just realized I forgot the most important piece, whats the DPI on your mouse? My specs on the death adder show: 6400dpi 4G Optical Sensor

16. Floors

Floors Avatar

I used to play this game Freespace SCP and a normal mouse I couldn't make sensitive enough.

I used some throw-away mouse, you know one of those little marketing toys they give at conferences - it had a way high sensitivity,

perfect for that game which required to spin a spaceship up and down all the time..

Maybe look into that for SoTA ? Hopefully they'll fix the sensitivity issues.

17. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I looked it up, the Lachesis has either 4000 or 5600 so it is going to be slower than mine... If it was 5600 I wouldn't expect much of a difference, so you must have the one listed a 4,000? So that's probably what we are seeing. But I agree with what was said, once they put in a mouse sensitivity thing they'll be able to fix it.

I'll also concede the point that yes, since the game forces you to do odd/extreme mouse movements you aren't used to it isn't your fault... 17" mouse pad and still not enough room for most movement would be insanity. I didn't think it could be that bad.

18. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

Mine is older, 4000dpi, 3G laser sensor.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-lachesis-legacy/

Trying to think if any of my other games are in Unity with 3d first/third person control. I've got a ton, but I don't pay attention what they were made in. :p

Mishri likes this.
  19. vjek

vjek Avatar

I dug out some other USB mice. One microsoft OEM , one logitech MX 510 (both typical/normal optical mice) my tiny Logitech M-UAG120 and my Logitech Marble T-BC21.

They're all exactly the same, in SotA. Not a single bit of difference among them, speed-wise.

20. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Took ALL of the words out of my mouth! This is exactly how I feel about the controls right now. An optional zoom to first-person view will be REALLY nice for indoors. They NEED to do that IMO. Right now, I can't stand the way it looks when inside a building in the third-person view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.