Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

XP and Locked Skills

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by tesyra, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

Im reposting this in its own thread because it wasnt getting any answers in the "xp pool bar" thread, and if it had done it wouldve derailed that thread
    No one actually answered, confirmed or denied my queries/findings, which was either because ~ A) everybody respects threads to much to derail them. B) nobody else has noticed this, C) nobody cares :p

Has anyone else noticed that your locked skills still take at least 10 xp whenever they are used?
    I have my Enlightenment and Strength of Stone at 50, i locked them, yet every time i use either of them my pool drains of 10xp
    The irony of this is; if i unlock them they only take about 11-15 but this time they actually gain
    So i can either waste 10xp, or spend/use 14xp and watch them grow....
    Working as intended?

On lower skills (<40) its even worse, takes 10 if its locked and less than 10 if you wish to level it up...
    Should the value 10 perhaps be 1?
    I know we are supposed to earn a little in locked skills, in order to maintain current level, and compensate for death tax, but surely 1 is enough for that?

This also means there is literally no point whatsoever in locking any skill that is still below 40 (assuming you have already purchased the skill from a trainer), because its only at around 40-45 that you actually start to lose more than 10
    Which by extension means any skill you buy that you do not intend to raise above 40, is like buying a millstone that will cost you 10 xp every time you use it
    And dont forget some/many skills have dependant skills, assuming youve bought even rank 1 from the trainer, casting Strength of Stone, will also be training up Attunement with Earth and Sympathy of Stone

Say i fight something that gave 800xp (pre r22) like a Large Timber Wolf, i would estimate that roughly 300-500 is going on locked skills, leaving about the same for the skills im wanting to rank up
    So the locked skills are taking about half the xp i earn, which means the ones i actually want to rank up, are levelling about half as fast as they could be

To summarize, or for TL,DR
    • Lock it before 40 and it drains/wastes 10, the skill never improves
    • Unlock before 40 and it drains/uses <10, the skill rank goes up
    • Lock it after 40 and it only drains/wastes 10 but also never improves rank
    • Unlock it after 40 and it costs you >10 but slowly ranks up

Anyone else noticed this?
    Is it working as intended or did someone input 10 instead or a 1 maybe?

I hope you understand this is not a complaint, but it feels wrong to me, so wanted to bring to everyone's attention

(PS In case you didnt know, hover your mouse over the xp bars while you use your skills and youll see for yourself)

Enfo likes this.
  2. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Expect to hear some clarification from Chris next week.
    It should involve the 'locking' and the skill UI vs. game mechanics.

You make valid points, but the switches were there for testing and I do not believe they will persist in real game advances.

tesyra likes this.
  3. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

No, I haven't noticed but then I don't really look at them much either:p I let it roll as it will.

On a more thoughtful moment, maybe it is because "-" on a skill means it is in maintenance mode, which stops the progression but still needs to be maintained. So it won't level up any more so it won't take up even more of the skill exp points but will need some to keep up at the current level. Otherwise maybe it'll degrade? Thus auto-distribution of exp points to it is made. :) At least, that's what I thought of when I read your explanation.

tesyra likes this.
  4. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

Thanks GreyMouser2, thats good to hear

Yes i think this too, but i also think 10 is too large a number for this purpose

But as we all know this is still pre-alpha and nothing is set in stone, however i feel its still important to raise such things, just in case someone actually did input a 10 rather than a 1 in the code :)

FrostII and 4EverLost like this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Using a skill, even a locked skill, may cause you to use experience in order to "practice" other skills. For example, casting Enlightenment while it is locked also sends experience toward Heightened Focus, Train Intelligence, Inner Calm, and Follow Through, all in the Focus Tree, because you are spending Focus. It also advances Sun Worship and Sun Eater in the Sun Tree. Other skills seem to be training even tho they are not really related by any method I can tell (at least in R21, havn't had time to test this in R22).

If you change ALL of your skills to maintain, so nothing should be using experience at all, does casting Enlightenment still cost experience? If so, I'd say that is a bug and should be added to the Release 22 Bug Forum.

6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

How can I tell how much my skill pool is being drained? Is that number available anywhere to see? My skill bars don't seem to be moving at all. I can't even tell which is which (crafting - combat).

tesyra likes this.
  7. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

If you mouse over them, it will tell you which is which. I believe Production XP is the top bar.

tesyra likes this.
  8. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

Put your mouse over either bar and it tells you how much you have, keep it there and cast something and youll see it go down by a certain amount
    It is almost impossible to see the movement because its usually small amounts - its like watching the minute hand of a clock moving, you know its moving but cant really see it.
    The top bar is your crafting xp, and called something like Pooled Production Exp
    The lower bar is your adventure xp and labelled Pooled Adventurer Exp

Great idea.
    I just locked all my skills (every single one to be sure), and cast some spells, and yes you are absolutelyright it doesnt use any xp
    I guess i had some passives (like the ones you mentioned) still unlocked, and that accounts for what i was "using"
    So no xp is being wasted, its all working fine, any xp you are spending is going somewhere, it just up to us to make sure its going where we want it to

Thanks glad we got to the bottom of this :)
    Sorry if i caused any panic to any of you

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Glad to hear it is working. Thanks for letting us know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.