Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

XP Loss on Death!

Discussion in 'Release 41 Feedback Forum' started by Wolfers, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Got killed in a dual by someone much lower level like a week and a half ago, soooo, what about them? I still take tons of damage from the mages in the rise so what about them? Still take take a ton of damage from the lich in the rise so what about them? What you want to hear, I'm invincible? Cuz I am not.

Fister Magee and Stundorn like this.
  2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

And why are you still comparing yourself to others that have put in tons of time? When the game goes live, and your considered one of the upper players, if someone who you have not even done anything to, starts to use you as an example of someone who needs to be nerfed, how will you feel about it?

3. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

The Calculation of EXP Lost Roughly Equates to For every 1million EXP invested in Skill Development, You Suffer 1,000 EXP Decay, So Say you have 50 Million Invested.... 50k Exp Decay

4. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

I am level 109 which is Approx 323,930,861 exp Gained okay, so divide this By 1000 which Equals 323,931, That was My Exp lost during a 12 Hour Period, Now that has Doubled my exp lost Currently would be... 647,862.

divide 647,862 by 24 ( to Figure out how much decay is Accumulated per Hour Online/Offline) and that Equals : 27k, . so for every hour i am Playing/Not playing i am accumulating that much decay.

So you have to earn 27k exp or more per hour just to break even, but then you still lose more than you Gain. this at the moment is the penalty For Us So called high level power gamers, your exp loss and being so far behind doesnt seem so bad now does it?

behorne and Mac2 like this.
  5. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

Damn AJ, good info.

Do we also suffer from decay even if we don't die?

6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

No, only on death you get decay.

Ajacied1987 likes this.
  7. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

A mage is well to remember that death is the high price of living.

8. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Death Penalty - I just went from 18k+ to 11k -
    Lost nearly half my xp, that I had built up slowly as I have not played much in the past week.

Sir_Michael likes this.
  9. uhop

uhop Avatar

I went through Nightshade Pass, saw that Troll there is yellow to me --- decided to try it. Long story short: stuck in the terrain, couldn't kill Troll, nor run away, got killed --- -1 to blades (it was my only GM, so now I am GM-less), and -1 to Disabling Shot. Interesting, that at the time I didn't even use blades, so why they were affected --- I don't know.

Questions in abundance:
    • At Adventure Level 75 --- how come I am that harshly affected??? I am a semi-casual, and it will take me forever to go from 99 to 100 in Blades again.
    • How come two skills were affected??? Wasn't the difference in XP between 100=>99 enough to cover my death???
    • How is it decided what skills to bump down? Randomly? Using some algorithm?
    • The most important: why??? The only adventure game to discourage adventure in existence.
      • Not the only one? Yay! Let's model our game after bad examples, not good ones!
    I understand the concept of the soft cap. I even support it. I don't understand why we need the decay AND the diminishing returns at the same time (* see below). Double, triple, quadruple the experience required to reach the next level in anything, and we will never see new 130-150-200 level players, even if they play 24/7 without vacations nor holidays. The existing super-high-level players will be effectively frozen at their current levels. Why the death penalty?

(*) The only thing, which can kinda explain away the limited usefulness of the death penalty, is PvP. I don't play PvP. I am not marked as PvP. I couldn't care less about PvP. Why should I be affected? Ironically PvP players are exempt from the death penalty, if died while PvPing, if I am not mistaken. Again, the stale experience can be solved without affecting non-PvP crowd.

PS: After the death I decided that I have nothing to lose, so I switched to blades, and went after Troll again. I got stuck in terrain again. This time, get this: partially underground, and inside Troll. I could see only parts of Troll, some stones, and a creek, but not banks. After certain struggle I stuck in a such way that Troll stopped hurting me much. Great, I can use "/stack" to get out of it, and try again! Of course, "/stuck" doesn't work while in combat. And I can't bail out any other way. So experimentally I found that I can hurt Troll a little. It took me ~20 minutes to kill him (2600 HP). :( Then I could use "/stuck". Some experience.

PPS: I know that everything in the game is fluid, and will be changed many times. But if it was a production game, I would be majorly discouraged to waste my time with it. It is not about money, it is about my free time, which is finite, restricted, and precious to me. Today I rolled back weeks, if not months. At no fault of my own.

Sir_Michael likes this.
  10. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

@uhop,

sometimes I got affected with 5-6 skills lvl down. Yesterday evening I got 5, no time to play further at this point. Today 3, got 2 back, no time to play further.
    Well, good thing is, the more skills lvl down, the easier it is to lvl up nxt time ;) It feels harder, if one skill loose more as other ...
    So I have one, for weeks nearby 99 - with each death affected, I am right at 98 ...

I don't know what the rule and order is, which skills will be downgraded. Would be interesting to know.
    I often got it on just uplvled skills ... hard - after playing a good time to got it up, it just lvls down.

And I think enough players really can feel with you about the loss of a lot of game hours :( It's wasted time.
    With the first textadventures there were some, not telling what directions you can go. It was awful to try each direction to here "you can't ..."
    An Adventure programmer said about: "I am thinking, these was made to tell about a lot of game hours to invest in game ;)"
    Well, if the effort and invested time takes you at the end of a dayly gametime to less skills as starting, it feels strange.
    At the end, I suppose, there is one moment, you don't play further, because the loss can't be earned :) OR we do the "hard cap" by ourself.

I hope, the system will change with next Releases to another kind of "balance". A lot of good suggestions can be found in a lot of threads ...

Next day the world seems better again :)

uhop likes this.
  11. eli

eli Avatar

As much as conceptually I agree with softcaps and think that 50+ GMs is exccessive, I do feel genuinely bad for AJ or mac or dingle level players, whos characters are set back days of progress every time they die. Even losing 40k (20-30min for me) there have been several occasions this release where i decided to just "not play" when i had an hour or so to kill.. That is not really a good attribute of a game, when it is convincing you to not play. I am sure this gut confusion would weigh 10x heavier if i were in that position.

However, I am really REALLY enjoying the adrenaline I get from trying to stay alive when I haven't died in 24h. It is tingling the same parts of me that tingled for free loot UO... gambles have consequences, bad luck alone can ruin you. As a healer, I can really disappoint my friends or really make their day.

So now I decided that YOLO, and if i have 15 minutes to play, i'm going to play. If it is backwards progress, that's just the way she goes. At least i get a rush for my price of admission.

And if high level players ever want dedicated heals to help protect their xp, hit up moldi dook :)

Stundorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.