You wonder why new players get so lost

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by mach.usa, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mach.usa

mach.usa Avatar

Some things are not where they were before.
    example.
    1. If you google and ask for guide how to go hidden valle , The answer should be there is boat west of Ardoris or travel through Solace bridge...this answered were like last year or 2 yrs ago.
    ok now at current time :IF you go to world map and check the boat in Ardoris for hidden vale you cant find it anymore. IF you enter Ardoris and look for that boat the spot where it used to be is now occupied by "POT island 01 something" so who will not get lost ? how you get to hidden vale beginner ?? the google wont help you with this , you can ask help here and if you get lucky you get answer in less than an hour until then you walk around like headless chicken don't know where you hidden

2. You can go through Solace bridge ? that's a long shot but this one will take you to Highvale from there find your way around that mountain range that divided the path between RESOLUTE and BRITTANY..I tried hrs of hrs couldn't find a leak to pass through, well atleast without dying.

= best way to go to hidden vale is travel from Ardoris-follow the path to solace bridge and path in going to desoris just by the edge of that mountain range ..well that's how I do it anyway, long walk but that's how I manage to find the hidden vale....the world map I don't mind but the local map very frustrating.

oh if someone advice check the translated names in option thanks but don't work...you check or uncheck you still see same....all chicken scratches in the map...

no offense but I really wanna say what I think and what I feel..I hate the person who decide to make that local map look like that.

For old player : who posted those map or who want to help us beginner : Please update the map

and where could we get the local map of Kingsport? they might be written in numeric but opening it is eassy to tell where I am and compare it to google translated map.

anyway thanks

2. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I feel your pain. Here are a couple things which may help you:
    1st, www.sotamap.com this is your new bff
    2nd. the Discord chat cannels.. I think this link should get you there
    https://discordapp.com/invite/HHYBq

There are people on there talking most of the time and many are very helpful; matter of fact there is a hospitaller channel wthin the SOtA channel where the focus is on helping folks.

Last. You can walk up the coast from Ardoris.. wind your way around the mountains and get to Brittany; once there you will se the boat that goes to the Hidden Vale

EDIT: the sotamap will help you wih that walk.. and.. if you happen to have coconuts...it's not that bad
    Hope that rids some of your frustration

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  3. mach.usa

mach.usa Avatar

oh thank you ! I will start using my coconut also lol I put mine away xD

I know this game says this game are different from other RPG, I understand that but this is just too much of different, its like a scrap maybe for old player not that hard not much of things going on so they can keep up easy to track but now too much and with sucky guidance very terrible. Its like playing nancy drew...looking for missing clue, google the right magic word or your quest stuck. Its not fun to play when every min you play , new task, new place, new corner have to type google or look for map in the google can barely keep up whats going on with the story with all this google lol

4. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Yes, many things changed over time. Sorry to hear that you had problems and as Solazur already said sotamap will be helpful.
    Also the Hospitallers (SotAHelp.org) might be helpful. As far as I heard there is normally at least one avatar ingame to help people with their first steps.

One point might be interesting for the Devs. There are no story quests or story related contend on this island. Aside from some marks in a few books I didn’t trip up on a “hidden vale hint” so far…so why where you (as a new player) searching the hidden vale?
    E.g. maybe the devs could add a short instruction how to reach hidden vale at the NPC(s) that mentioned the vale.

5. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

the more I've played, the more I feel that new players should be thrown from the Isle of Storms to Braemar in the Hidden Vale, and directed to ask "news" and "help" to every npc in town to gain further insight. There are some great starting quests there that feel finished and that organically lead the player to Owl's head, Kingsport, and back, while offering some low level "dungeon" fights for reward. There are lots of fact-finding opportunities and story that unravels during these npc conversations and they all connect, build the bigger picture, and make sense.

I'd throw the Soltown crafting tutorial npc into Braemar...and maybe Annika the blacksmith as well.

It feels like the hidden vale should be the tutorial place for new players.

I'd then make passage to Novia/Brittany only unlock with in-game gold or with story (where you have to gain passage by ship from an npc via keywords - perhaps via Anton?). After that, you could be directed into follow one of the 3 paths once you hit Novia. (or better yet, the trip itself becomes a dramatic story arc where your decisions lead to one of the starting paths. (via mutiny, pirates, a storm at sea, sea monster attack, whatever)

6. mach.usa

mach.usa Avatar

yup yup...and I like how they made that guard in Braehna tell you names of npc giving quest so you don t have to run around clicking every npc that you encounter.

question guys :

Can someone please tell me where I can buy this Coil of Metal Wire? I checked owls port, Braehna, desoris, Soltown, Kingsport...none so far
    and one more...the google says you can craft it if you know the ingredients but I tried that, I had all the ingredients but I cant make that coil of metal wire...or this create your own recipe changed ? that google answer is like 2014/15

7. Mekong

Mekong Avatar

To me this is a prime example of what is wrong with "modern" gaming. There are fewer and fewer who play for the journey and discovery it seems. The less spoon feeding the better in my opinion.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  8. Acred

Acred Avatar

I just checked the recipe level on Sotawiki and it says your Smelting Proficiency needs to be level 20 to make this recipe.

mach.usa and Ice Queen like this.
  9. mach.usa

mach.usa Avatar

I don't mind running around clicking every npc for quest, what I mind is the map...for me its just so stupid well the local atleast, whats the point of having it if can't understand...its like showing you bounce of square and asking you which one is different...and finally you found what your looking after all this work and it wasn't there..oh yeah...the guide were like 1 or 2 yrs..a lot changed...so there back to run around just to look for 1 certain thing...like for example right now..I was looking for rolf the guard in Ardoris and I cant find him where he suppose to stand...now I have to run around entire map just to find him..its hard to enjoy game when we have to google and ask question too much and hard to enjoy game when we spent more hours running around looking for one certain thing just in the town..at the end of the day you have little time left to spend for killing monster or harvest mats because it spent too much time searching . In my game I cant understand my map and the option menu don't work like some suggest to check it so its there just for display I guess in my pc atleast...then there the quest problem sometimes luck of more info in journal and sometimes you stuck because the options of choices in chat that need to answer isn't there unless you say the magic word the quest itself wont progress..so how we suppose to know what is that line of words without googling?

Game should teach the basic how to talk, how to craft, maps etc after that player should be able to progress on their own without too much problem...not in this game...google here google there then you progress...like I said maybe for old players not that hard not much content back then and they able to follow changes coz they are catching with the current and their current play..for new players not that way...we far behind and games keep moving on patching and patching and most of the time ignore the other problems/or they say they still fixing it so they are left for every new beginner.

so yeah anyone know where is Rolf ? somehow in my map he wasn't there..I google one of this guy have screenshot that the guard is in his house all the time lol so not sure if he is again in one of player house.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  10. mach.usa

mach.usa Avatar

thank you but I figured how to craft without ingredients so was able to craft it and created a recipe xd

11. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

For any external site notes that are out of date, it would be super awesome if we could get the community to help update them when possible. There is also www.SOTAWiki.net as an excellent resource for this purpose.

12. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Add me to friends William Serenite. If you see me in game I can help you with questions and show you around.

Audacity, mach.usa and Stahlknecht like this.
  13. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

T'Was My understanding that the New player Initiative Was designed for this purpose Exactly or am i missing something? :)

14. mach.usa

mach.usa Avatar

so you mean this is a game for initiative and patient ? then they should put that in news as requirement lol because oh well it need a tons of that for beginners...to many out of date guide and bug...oh one more thing..

Beginners starting town is Soltown...then why crafting guide start at Ardoris ? oh well maybe game designer think that beginners can't craft yet at soltown too early for them to able to gather mats....then how about those people pledges and provided mats? like me.. I have artisan pledge whatever so I was given mats..so when I pulled it in my bank and curious whats in it my inventory totally over the weight limit and I can barely move so heavy....my only choice to know how to craft is google...then yesterday in Ardoris this npc teaching how to craft with recipe or without recipe etc...when did a baby start walking before it could learn to crawl.

15. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Not every player chooses to be approached by other players for the purposes of learning the ropes.

Some players want to go the route of "Oh, I'll figure it out myself. I've played plenty of MMOs", and unfortunately, this game isn't geared to be learned via osmosis.

The NPI can only do so much, but they cannot course-correct people who hop over barbed wire and ignore warnings of "this content is incomplete".

Additionally, because the game is in an ever-changing state, it's nearly impossible to create guides that will stand the test of time at this point in development.

16. mach.usa

mach.usa Avatar

Thank you very much appreciate that, I will try to contact you if I have left with no option xD I like to play game without denpending or bothering someone as much as I can ..just this game sometimes grrrr xD

17. mach.usa

mach.usa Avatar

This is the site I use for map guide xd

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/list-of-npc-town-maps.45088/

in Ardoris it shows where Rolf the guard is but when I go there in my game he isn't there...I thought maybe he was below me but nothing there.

I had this problem before when I was still in Soltown why names of npc doesn't show, all I read is "refugees" and I'm like which one is this and that since they both look alike so I google and I'm like look for something different...then if you take quest and they introduce theirself it shows in chat their name but once your done chatting and left the area to do the quest and you come back names back to "refugees" so I thought I was bug so I had to relog but don't fix so I had to google just to find the right person and look for differences lol think bout it I feel so stupid and I learned that I had to type "who are you" then their names will always show up and wont be " merchant of Ardoris, guard of ardoris etc but no guidie says had to do that or did I miss something back in soltown..

and another thing ...you learn to ask for quest or to accept quest whatever you called it in Braehnam because the guard there teach you how to get the quest, he said if you want to help or assist someone something like that say "how I may help you" okay now say that to me " that's how you activate or get quest...wont know that if not for google ! ..Don't think this guide suppose to be in beginner landing area in soltown ? I feel like they rearrange the world map without taking out the content of that world map...well that's just me thinking anyway

well okay I'm done qq xD

18. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

Couldnt agree more jack :)

Acred and Jack Knyfe like this.
  19. Mata

Mata Avatar

Acred and Ice Queen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.