1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Yule Stockings!

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Scottie, Oct 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Awhile back, when I was working on the fireplace sets, we had a discussion pertaining to the possibility of Yuletide Season stockings that could be hung from the mantels... I know this wasn't the first time this subject had come up, but until that moment we hadn't really had the chance to dig into the tech enough to attempt to create this kind of container for the sake of "hanging" from small surfaces and other deco objects... The folks here seemed to like the idea, and many of you seemed excited by it too, so guess what I had the chance to work on this week! Here's the four initial stockings in Max... On the far right is the basic, rustic craft-able Yuletide stocking (at least for this year) based on the crochet stocking actually made for me by my mother long ago, and to its left you can see the Yule 2016 Large, Medium, and Small versions, which are all a part of the same visual "family" of stockings that will be available in the Add-On Store for this year's Yule... I've already found a number of other "looks" that have inspired me for later types, and which I've set aside for years to come,...but these you see here will be the exclusive set for 2016!
    [​IMG]
    Once I finished modeling them in Max, it was time to take them into the Unity Engine and get their materials working nicely! The hardest (and most important) part was the spec map, and massaging it in Photoshop just right until all the little bells shined like polished brass, certain surfaces glistened like candy, while others had the comforting softness of spun wool...
    [​IMG]
    Of course, this test scene was lit up like a photo-shoot set, so as much as it allowed me to test the bump map and the specular highlights, it lacked a certain "Yuletide cheer" that would convince me that I had achieved the magical holiday feel I was really going for... And so,...on to my outdoor test map, where I had set up a few cottages in which to play with all these fun things I'm making! Below you can see all four of this year's stockings lined up in a neat row on the larger ornate wood and stone fireplace.
    [​IMG]
    I moved about the chamber a bit so you could get a slightly closer look inside them, to be teased by little treats that might also be appearing on this year's Yule tree as fun decorations! Of course, these stockings will be set up not only as decorations that can be placed on (hung from) a variety of horizontal (upward facing) surfaces in the game (such as mantels, tall-enough tables, the tops of cabinets and dressers, etc.), but ALSO they will be set up as containers in which you can stuff all sorts of items (as you would a sack or chest) so that the whole thing can be given away as gifts for others! The items they are visibly stuffed with in the image below are, of course, merely representative of the fact that it's meant to be full of treats which you can provide...
    [​IMG]
    The basic rustic version (seen on the lower left in the image above) will be the one you will be able to craft in-game this year (perhaps we'll do another craft-able version next year)... Rick has already taken one of them I've made and hooked it up in the game to test as decos, and they seem to be working as planned! Once I get back from this weekend, I'll fully test them all, make tweaks as necessary for the sake of functionality, and finally create the "GUMP" to be used for its interface once the container code begins working for it... I'll post more images of these in use as actual decos on a variety of test object next week. Look for these to appear soon for the holidays!!!

Happy All Hallow's Eve! And here's looking forward to the Harvest Feast and Yuletide Seasons soon to be on their way!

Scottie ^_^

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

3. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Love your posts, and this one in particular, thanks Scottie. It's like Pen of the Avatar reincarnated!

rild, Acred, Cassandra Corax and 3 others like this.
  4. Selene

Selene Avatar

5. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

LOL You're awesome Scottie! A great artist. Now......

Christmas leg stockings for the women?

6. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Thank you ever so much. These look beautiful. Wonderful presentation.

7. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Well all I can say is Wooooo Hooooo (guess I don't need to adjust my siggie this year!)

8. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Those stockings look really nice. Look forward to seeing them in game soon.

9. Lady Addy

Lady Addy Avatar

Love this! Thank you.

Sher, Acred, Cassandra Corax and 4 others like this.
  10. Cianna

Cianna Avatar

Love these! Thank you, Scottie, they're beautiful!

11. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Will they produce coal or candy based on your virtue score? ;)

12. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Wow, good one Scottie - like the family association. ~ Perhaps a bonus piece of coal if you hurt too many elves.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  13. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Trade-able Containers with inventory finally making the way in to the game?

14. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

*waits for elf on the shelf* Oh maybe some holiday theme fences with lights. Ginger bread house! Ohhh and some hanging lights for around the house! Santa's Sleigh ! OMG THE LIST CAN GO ON AND ON! GIFT BOXES! Snow Flakes! Snow Globes! Candy Canes! The Red Nose Reindeer! Santa Outfit With White Beard!! Elf Outfit! Ahhhhh :)

15. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Great decoration (and container) for the Holiday season. I note many are recommending the normal Christmas decorations, let us not forget the rest of the Holidays during this time period.

Sher, Acred, Cassandra Corax and 4 others like this.
  16. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

These are absolutely wonderful! Great Job! Can't wait to get lots of these and hang them on all the fireplaces I have crafted for my house. What fun this will be.

17. Scottie

Heh!!! Why THANK YOU!!! So kind of you,...and I'm glad you appreciate them! I truly enjoy putting a lot of love in all of these things for you fine folks as well! ^_^

18. Scottie

I can't wait to test them myself, and assure myself they'll work and look great in all the situations I imagine you folks using them in... I can't promise they'll work everywhere, but they should function at the edges of most of the areas you'd expect them to...and even some you won't!

Scottie ^_^

19. Scottie

There'll be a few other things that we'll be working on soon that might hearken to other Earthly traditions for the season (another seasonal candle-holder, for instance), but my goal is to make these as "non-denominationally" applicable as possible, or at least conjuring up an otherworldly "Yule" specific to our fictional world's unique sense of spirituality... Hopefully you'll enjoy the other stuff too!

Scottie ^_^

20. Scottie

I believe that's the idea for these... I think it will be cool to give "gift containers" of all shapes and sizes!

Scottie ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.