Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Zero Crit Crafting Events Throughout R27

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by agra, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agra

agra Avatar

As R27 is drawing to a close, I wanted to make sure this feedback was in here..

Throughout the entirety of R27, I've never seen a critical refine or craft. That is, making ingots, or boards, or thread, or cloth, or final products of any kind. Zero.
    And I've used both Level 1 (normal) and Level 2 (Expert) crafting tables, and have well over 60 in the relevant skill, with recipes that are in some cases 99% success rate.

I've also seen exactly zero metal armor or weapons for sale on any public or player vendor that features a critical crafted bonus (haste, crushing, greater haste, greater crushing, quickness or thumping).

Now, if this was intended (or this mechanic was removed entirely), great, it's working. :) If not, it's a bit odd to me that neither have I seen it happen, nor have I see any items for sale that have these features. If the chance for these critical events was made more rare, and requires over 120 skill in refining or crafting, that would be nice to know BEFORE R32.

If other players have seen crit crafting events throughout R27, then this would appear to be an issue that simply affects my character, although I have seen other posters mentioning the same, so perhaps it's a bug that can affect individual characters?

2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The only crit effect I saw after the past wipe was the +STR. Is that just the placeholder for the new future crit now?

mbomber and Leelu like this.
  3. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Even before this wipe the only crits I've seen are str, I think that's a place holder. Critting is MUCH harder this wipe, for sure, I would argue a little too hard, but it's not completely impossible (although it may be for some gear).

I have critted necklace and ring of sorcery (which I use, have made a few pairs for others too) and have made a few critted daggers.

I haven't been able to do critted animal hats, long swords, or any critted epic leather.

4. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

I have made +2 strength rings, amulets, daggers, shields, and short swords.

All via critical craft. Shortsword was crafted in the mid 60%s for success.

Additionally, +2 str summoning whistle

I haven't put any on sale yet. Will do so tonight.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  5. Noric

Noric Avatar

I've Crit Chainmail, Shortswords and Shields this release.

stratigos, Sara Dreygon and Leelu like this.
  6. agra

agra Avatar

Any other effects besides the +2 STR, Noric?

Leelu likes this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

as stated before and a few times ATM all crtis are only +2 Str and they are much harder to achieve crits this time around I did get lucky at 20 BS on a dagger early on so it is just RNG :rolleyes:o_O

FrostII and Leelu like this.
  8. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

has anyone been able to crit a music instrument? I made a cool dozen flutes... no luck.

Leelu likes this.
  9. Noric

Noric Avatar

I think they are not critable with 150 carpentry this release, though I can't say im sure.

@agra No, +2 strength is the current placeholder.

Leelu and agra like this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I tried 25 lutes earlier no luck I gave up :-(

Leelu likes this.
  11. agra

agra Avatar

Noric, was this information publicly posted in "known issues" or instructions, or in any developer post, anywhere?
    I'm kind of annoyed that I spent the entire release expecting to see all those past crits when they were intentionally removed/turned into a placeholder/made more difficult. If I missed something official, I'm happy to be annoyed with myself. ;)

Sara Dreygon and Leelu like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Nothing was posted it just appeared more difficult

Noric and Leelu like this.
  13. Noric

Noric Avatar

I did a lot of testing, as well as spoke with other guildmates with 115+ crafting skills. We saw a lot of success rates change and the minimum required success rate go up for crits (also the change to prosperity tools made it harder to obtain high success rates). Some of the stuff (like instruments) is based on extrapolation and skill success chance trends.

agra and margaritte like this.
  14. agra

agra Avatar

Don't like stealth changes like this for something as important as "high level" or "end game" or "specialized" crafting. I mean, for some players, this is their entire carrot/reason for playing... it's a big deal.

It really annoys me when development teams like Portalarium do things like this and don't put it in the patch notes. :mad: But thanks for the info & clarification, Noric. :D

Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  15. Noric

Noric Avatar

I think the prosp tool change might have been patchnoted somewhere. I can understand that patchnoting every change can be a pain (I'm a developer, though not a game dev) and it slows down development sometimes. Also I'm not sure they entirely know what they are planning with some of the upper level stuff. The fact that only like 5 or so weapons can be critted right now is a bit weird. I would guess they either accidentally left in some stuff they were testing, or got something half implemented when it went live.

16. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

punishment is the name of the game - expect to hit level 180 before you get any worthwhile crits.

It is unacceptable to leave out anything from patch notes. Both as a developer and a consumer that annoys me to no end.

Snikorts and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  17. agra

agra Avatar

Yeah, thinking about this more last night, I look at it this way: If it's a design goal that players make equipment with the now-disabled crit-crafting effects, yet those 'events' rarely or ~never appear, then how does a player know about it? From a few sites outside the game? Seems a bit odd, especially for single-player modes.
    If you actually go through the pain and suffering of making your own entire suit of epic plate armor, for example, you realize you need hundreds of ore, which takes hours and hours even if you know where the nodes are, plus straps. And $deity help you if you want alloys instead of base metals, or a specific type of strap. Too much stick, right now, imo. The metal sheets recipes should return 2, not just 1.
    If +2 STR on items is working as intended, and is the entire crit-crafting system, now, then there's no point to high skill/level crafting. It's not enough of a carrot to entice anyone down that path of punitive pain.

Finally, this has been now an entire release without crit-crafting. Ok.. we're down to 85 working days until R32. Does Portalarium really have time to waste an entire release? It makes no sense, to me. Either it was a wasted release cycle, or it's working as intended. Both are terrible. :(

Fister Magee likes this.
  18. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Our apologies for the frustration this is causing. We are looking at this. Please understand that our designer working on this system just had a child and was on paternity leave for a bit. We will get back on track as soon as we can.

Kara Brae, Manerd, FrostII and 8 others like this.
  19. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

WHAT!?! Portalarium is a company made up of people with REAL LIVES outside of development?!? That's outrageous, I'm paying for someone to work 24/7/365, not someone who's doing frivolous personal things like HAVING BABIES!!

(Tongue firmly planted in cheek)

20. GingerLoaf

GingerLoaf Developer Emeritus

Hey there! I just wanted to stop by and let you guys know that we are not trying to cause you any frustration. As Starr said, we had a little down time with the designer being out for a while and we are still undergoing a lot of crafting design and technical changes. Starting in R28, we will have the success % and crit % displayed on the crafting station in order to keep you informed and help you not waste your time and resources. I should point out that I have become aware of an issue with our crit system that has been hidden for a while now. If you crit and do not have the additional resources sitting in your inventory (because you are asked to double up on ingredients to gain the benefit) then the critical will be suppressed as if you never crit in the first place. This was against the alternative of saying "you crit.... but you can't do anything... sorry!". Also, the set of bonus effects from a crit has not really had much iteration from it's initial implementation (so there might not be a variety of effects for it to pull from). This may not end up being the final design, but it's what we have for now. I am working very close with our design team to both implement the crafting features and help make crafting better and we will make sure to take care of you guys. We hear what you are saying and we will use it to help make the game better. Your feedback is incredibly valuable and helpful to us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.