Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Zero Crit Crafting Events Throughout R27

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by agra, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curt

Curt Avatar

General idea has been all items should be craftable by players
    Also by not letting people craft tables I are worried that people will claim it's Pay to Win due to high level pledges getting crafting tables.
    People may become envious over them.

Xandra7, jama and agra like this.
  2. agra

agra Avatar

I know you were asking curt, but my response echo's his as well.
    It was my impression that all things crafting related would be craftable, including tools and tables.
    That impression comes mostly from:
    So, yes, it doesn't explicitly say Tables will be craftable. I'm aware.
    However, if they remain as such, it creates an uncomfortable situation. Specifically, that +30% success on common recipes and +10% success on rare/difficult recipes was most definitely purchased, and is permanent, (and can no longer be obtained by others) for all those that obtained that pledge reward.
    Now, I totally get that as a pledge reward, it's important that players get what they paid for. However, what would be the harm in allowing players to produce tools/crafting tables with quality levels? And durability? It is mentioned as a "key component".

I mean, maybe this is a non-issue if there are going to be Expert (level 2) and whatever Level 3 is tables in all the major cities like Resolute, Aerie, and Ardoris, as alluded to in the R24 notes above. But currently, that's not the case, and what was purchased by players with RL $$$ is the best you can get. The court of public opinion may judge this design decision harshly, fair warning. :oops:
    Again, if that's by design, great, if that's not going to change, that's fine too, but it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity, to me.

Xandra7 likes this.
  3. agra

agra Avatar

This level of detail is fantastic, so thank you for the time and effort that went into this post, GingerLoaf.
    Only one item I'll comment on further, and that is regarding the points highlighted in cyan above.

It's great that if I specialize in making something frequently, that I'll either get better at it or produce more of it, or it will have something about it that is distinctive that reflects my efforts. Nothing but good things to say with such a design, from my perspective.

I would just offer this as some context... typically, when resources are as scarce and/or time consuming to obtain and refine as they are in Shroud, players are rightly a bit cautious/miserly with their resources, and more often would craft-to-order rather than have stock of every possible item. Things like requiring dozens/hundreds of wood or dozens/hundreds of ore per order, is what I'm referring to, when harvesting takes 20-45+ seconds per resource. As an example, it took me well over 2 hours of non-stop harvesting to get the raw materials to make one copper breastplate, and I knew where the copper was.

With that in mind, a deterministic path to add specific bonus/desirable equipment effects would, for me and mine, be preferable to a randomized bonus effect. I'm not saying that's your intent, I'm just mentioning it as a caution. Being able to add specific effects on demand keeps customers coming back, in my experience.

As far as other ideas regarding bonuses, there have been many such ideas gathered on the forums in the past, but I would say for consumables, permitting multiple charges per consumable or group effects rather than single target, or longer duration effects, where applicable, may be appropriate. Also, more/different poisons would always be welcome. ;)

Finally, many of the effects on base materials (like item damage resistance with I think white iron or meteoric) do not appear to have the same attractiveness, given the ability to repair gear durability with repair kits. Repair kits are a great money sink, and coupled with the availability of currency makes those effects seem superfluous or at the very least, not as attractive, in the realm of meaningful choice, when compared with combat affecting effects.

4. GingerLoaf

GingerLoaf Developer Emeritus

This makes complete sense to me. It's very difficult to attempt to give a person an item of value and also make it 100% equal and fair against every other person's perspective or gameplay experience. We are working to make it as fair as possible without de-valuing the reward entirely. I can say that our intent is to have stations available in specific cities for those who did not get the pledge rewards... this basically puts the difference at the fact that pledge players can just place it in their home instead of traveling to the table (the functionality between the town station and the pledge station differ in no way whatsoever... same exact functionality, therefore no "bought" winning)

I understand your frustrations on the topic and I will be keeping them in mind in case I have any revelations on how to solve it, but I think our current design is to just make stations available to the public in certain areas.

Pledge and non-pledge players will all have access to crafting stations of various levels so that there is no difference in what can be crafted by a pledge player and a non pledge player (or different pledge player)

4EverLost, Acred, Mata and 3 others like this.
  5. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I need Zack to stay focused on fixing R28 bugs for right now. I will give him back to you after R28 goes live I promise. :)

4EverLost, Acred, Manerd and 4 others like this.
  6. Noric

Noric Avatar

Appreciate the time you gave us. I'll hold you to the latter...

agra likes this.
  7. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I just want to say, after getting caught up on this thread, I'm totally thrilled with what you guys are looking at. As someone who spends a lot of time on the producer side of things, I'm really glad to see it's going to get more polish in the near-ish future.

Thanks, @GingerLoaf and @DarkStarr

Acred likes this.
  8. kendaron

kendaron Avatar

I do not like that tables will not be able to be crafted. I was expecting if you are going to be setting up a PoT, something this fundamental could be obtained for it.

SeleneNoctua and agra like this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
    Once R28 goes live this topic is archived and there will be nothing to go back to....
    [​IMG]

:D:p:D

10. Noric

Noric Avatar

Just dont forget to save the url :p :
    [​IMG]

11. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

or open a new thread on the topic after the new release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.